What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
05-08-2012, 10:25 AM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
Finally finished Stephen Kings 11/22/63.

It was pretty good. I have a habit of not liking his huge books, as I feel he tends to almost stuff too much pointless distracting filler in them, making them a chore to finish. Not all are like that though.

The stand has a bunch of pointless filler, but still manages to draw the reader in and make them want to finish it. Same with IT, and The Shining... etc... But The Tommyknockers was so drawn out and the characters so unlikable to me that I had to force myself through it. Same with Under The Dome. I really didn't dig that one. It had so much potential. Sad

Anyways, this one never seemed to lag, or feel fluffy. It is long as fuck, but engaging.
It took me forever to get through simply because I got it at a time of ultimate distractions and had a hard time focusing on it. Not because it was a bad book.

The story is unlike any other he's ever written but still has his style plastered all over it. It is about time travel.

Not only time travel but a quest to save the life of JFK. Why JFK? well he gives numerous reasons for it, but a big part of it has to do with the fact that Jake (main character) can only travel back to one time, and that is the biggest event near his travel time. Can't save Lincoln, too early.

The usual storyline shit occurs, like love, and violence, and things getting in the way etc, and it is very well executed. Recommend.

Also I'm not sure if I have ever mentioned them before, but two of my favorite King books aren't stories at all. They are more like autobiographies dressed up as how to's.

On Writing is an often funny and informative window into the world of King throughout his poor writer days all the way until he was mega wealthy. It can be dark (His drinking days) but is mostly humorous. Also there is some knowledge contained on the subject of writing.

Danse Macabre is supposed to be sort of like a study of the horror genre (mostly movies, but he does spend some time with literature) and while he does talk a bunch about it, he uses past experience to illustrate his points, which are entertaining and informative. It reads more like a guy just blabbing about his childhood. Easy to read and very enjoyable. Plus you might just find some books and movies to enjoy (most of which can be found free these days legally, online.)

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
05-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Critical Thinking by Gary R. Kirby, Jeffery R. Goodpaster & Marvin Levine

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
05-08-2012, 11:36 AM
Biblical Nonsense: A Review of the Bible for Doubting Christians

[Image: 726554.jpg]

"Here's the thing about rights. They're not supposed to be voted on. That's why they call them rights." -Rachel Maddow
[+] 1 user Likes J5Panda90's post
05-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Forces of Habit: Drugs and the Making of the Modern World by David T. Courtwright

"What drives the drug trade, and how has it come to be what it is today? A global history of the acquisition of progressively more potent means of altering ordinary waking consciousness, this book is the first to provide the big picture of the discovery, interchange, and exploitation of the planet's psychoactive resources, from tea and kola to opiates and amphetamines."

http://www.amazon.com/Forces-Habit-Drugs...930&sr=1-1
[+] 2 users Like Lightning's post
05-08-2012, 05:58 PM
'77 Shadow Street' by Dean Koontz

I dig most of Koontz but this one is not going to be high on my list of faves. Undecided
I'm about half way through and it's still not doing it for me. If it ends well I'll praise it later.

[Image: 77shadowstreet.jpg]
05-08-2012, 06:54 PM
The Case Against The Case For Christ.
By Robert Price.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
05-08-2012, 06:59 PM
I just finished "Redshirts" , a nice bit of light fiction about those nameless guys in Star Trek who beam down to the planet and get killed before the first commercial break.

http://www.amazon.com/Redshirts-Novel-Th...s=reshirts
05-08-2012, 09:38 PM
(05-08-2012 06:59 PM)Jeff Wrote:  I just finished "Redshirts" , a nice bit of light fiction about those nameless guys in Star Trek who beam down to the planet and get killed before the first commercial break.

http://www.amazon.com/Redshirts-Novel-Th...s=reshirts

This sounds really cool.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
08-08-2012, 02:21 PM
I'm a ways into The Brothers Karamazov, I'm also reading The Emperor of All Maladies, and when the fall semester starts, I'll be reading a plethora of books, looking forward to the novella Sofia Petrovna.

-summum ius, summa iniuria.-M. T. Cicero
-I will show you fear in a handful of dust.-T.S. Eliot
-
ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα

08-08-2012, 02:25 PM
Just finished The Extended Phenotype by Dawkins. Not an easy read, but well worth it.

Thinking about what next. I've read most of the New Atheist books, I believe.
Maybe a change of pace and read some mysteries.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]