What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
03-09-2012, 12:08 AM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
I'm usually a fantasy/sci-fi reader, but decided to give general fiction a try when the second hand book shop was having a sale. One of the general fiction books I picked up was "The Friday Night Knitting Club". I'm a knitter, so I took interest in it for that reason, and the description sounded interesting enough. But cripes! This book has proven to be just downright horrible! There's no apparent plot to the thing, it jumps around all over the place, skipping from character to character at random, and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere! Sadly, there is little knitting or even mention of knitting in it. A different knitting themed general fiction book I picked up the same day had a lot more mention of knitting than this one. It's like that's a total afterthought to the whole mess. I'm determined to get through it, though. I paid my money for it, so I'll finish the thing. But... ugh. I don't recommend this book at all!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SlipStitch's post
04-09-2012, 01:14 AM
I rarely read fiction. All of the following are non-fiction:
How to Become a Really Good Pain in the Ass: A Critical Thinker's Guide to Asking the Right Questions, Dicarlo
The God Delusion, Dawkins
The Illustrated Magic of Reality: How We Know What's Really True, Dawkins
Attack of the Theocrats! How the Religious Right Harms Us All- —and What We Can Do About It, Faircloth
The Little Book of Unholy Questions, Pearce. Fun stuff!
The Authoritarians, Altemeyer -- FREE online. Short, must read!! From an Amazon review: "Perfect examples of RWAs are the Fundamentalists / Evangelical Christians, Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, Dick Cheney but also probably a lot of people you have to deal with on a regular basis, for instance your father-in-law or your neighbor. Understanding what makes these people tick, what they'll likely to do (or try to do) and why they're impervious to reasoned argument or contradictory evidence changed my view of the world; how many books can you say that about? Precious few."
07-09-2012, 02:47 PM
I'm making my way through a series of Edgar Allan Poe's short stories at the moment. I came across him after reading his very dark short "The Tell-Tale Heart". I have yet to find an author who can capture suspense in such a way as he can. Well worth a read.
[+] 2 users Like hylonome's post
16-09-2012, 09:45 AM
From Davies and Clines "The World of Genesis", (which isn't really Biblical scholarship), the chapter "Hagar: A Woman with an Attitude" is good.
Preview :
http://books.google.com/books?id=SB6Scv3...er&f=false

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein (That's a JOKE, ya idiot)
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
19-09-2012, 11:02 PM
I'm re-reading BC's Bible Critique and I think it's even better second time round!

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
20-09-2012, 03:33 AM
(19-09-2012 11:02 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I'm re-reading BC's Bible Critique and I think it's even better second time round!

Sounds interesting. Where could I find that?

Reading:

The Murderer of Roger Ackroyd - Agatha Christie
Essays in Humanism - Albert Einstein

"Here's the thing about rights. They're not supposed to be voted on. That's why they call them rights." -Rachel Maddow
20-09-2012, 04:41 AM
(20-09-2012 03:33 AM)J5Panda90 Wrote:  
(19-09-2012 11:02 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I'm re-reading BC's Bible Critique and I think it's even better second time round!
Sounds interesting. Where could I find that?

It Buddy Christ's critique in the the Atheism & Theism section, you musta seen it.

In case you haven't.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
20-09-2012, 06:30 AM
(20-09-2012 04:41 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(20-09-2012 03:33 AM)J5Panda90 Wrote:  Sounds interesting. Where could I find that?

It Buddy Christ's critique in the the Atheism & Theism section, you musta seen it.

In case you haven't.

Oh ok. I had seen it a while ago but had forgotten about it. I had thought you were talking about an actual book lol. Thanks for the link!

"Here's the thing about rights. They're not supposed to be voted on. That's why they call them rights." -Rachel Maddow
20-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Just finished reading Breaking Up With God by Sarah Sentilles. I'm going to power thru Dan Barker's Godless and Guy Harrison's 50 Reasons People Believe in A God next.
21-09-2012, 12:15 AM
Just started reading Halo Evolutions.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.