What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
09-12-2012, 05:01 PM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
The Black Swan, Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2012, 04:17 AM
I am 'reading' audio books lately. Now it's "Dexter by Design", Jeff Lindsay.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
Find all posts by this user
11-12-2012, 08:28 PM
* Scientific American (Special Collector's Edition): What Makes us Human? - How evolution, culture and serendipity shape who we are and who we will become.

* The Evolution of a Chinese Novel: Shui-Hu Chuan (1966) by Richard Gregg Irwin
16-12-2012, 11:23 AM
The Wonderful Adventures of Nils, by Selma Lagerlöf (online, because I seem to have lost both my copies). Will then proceed with anything else by her I haven't read yet, on which I can lay my hands online.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
18-12-2012, 06:26 PM
'Intervention' by Robin Cook
29-12-2012, 02:52 PM
"The Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand is a really good read. I recommend it to anyone that needs to feel "inspired".

Antitheist - Tooth Fairy Agnostic - Rationalist - Humanist - Individualist - Libertarian Minarchist

[Image: dsotm1.png]
29-12-2012, 02:55 PM
I just finished "Old mans War" and "Ghost Brigade" By John Scalzi And as the new year begins I make it a habit of rereading "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams.
31-12-2012, 04:23 PM
I had some business in town and ended up making a couple of impulse purchases:

501 must-know speeches
A mixture of full speeches and "sound-bytes" from some of the ore or less famous people through out history. The book is divided in to several categories: Ancient history, Love, War & Revolution, Religion, Science & Medicine, Patriotism, Philosophy, Humanity/Liberty/Tyranny, Sports, Politics & International affairs and Miscellaneous.

Each speech also has a short explanation about the speaker and circumstances. Now, I've barely started but out of curiosity I peeked at the "Religion" section. I have to report that it is a joke. "God" and "Allah" along with a number of their "fan club" have made it in there, but apparently the likes of Epicurus, Seneca, Dennet or Hitchens etc are out of the question. The only half negative one was from Karl Marx, but "...this axiom is less dismissive of faith then the shorter version made it appear...he regarded religion more as the consolation of the oppressed then as an addictive drug" :dodgy:Though the introduction may have a point, it's still very apologetic in its tone. Consider also that in "War & Revolution" section gets quotes from Bush Jr., Stalin and Hitler but also Napoleon, Woodrow Wilson and Einstein, and many more. *sigh*

Still looking forward to the rest of the book. Oh, and it's in English too, which I consider a bonus. Don't know why, but reading certain books in Finnish gives me a headache Consider

Brisingr, by Christopher Paolini

Third book in the "Inheritance Cycle" series. I got the previous two books ("Eragon" and "Eldest") a couple of years back, and remember quite liking them. However, I'm barely ten pages in, and I have to admit, I can barely remember who is who. I think I'll have to re-read the older ones first and then pick this up again. Still, seems rather interesting. Drinking Beverage

"Life - its the fun thing that happened on the way to the cemetery."
-Poilce Officer Janson, Raid
I live in the land of Santa, fool!
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Voltaire
02-01-2013, 11:05 PM
Currently reading:

Outspoken: Confessions of a Devout Atheist - https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/270299

Next up:

Every Day Is An Atheist Holiday - http://www.amazon.com/Every-Day-Atheist-...n+Jillette

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."

- Christopher Hitchens

"For most people, religion is nothing more than a substitute for a malfunctioning brain."
- Gene Roddenberry
04-01-2013, 12:13 PM
I just finished Carl Sagan's Demon-Haunted World, and I'm now trying to tackle Charles Darwin's Origin of Species. We'll see how much of it I can actually understand and digest.

Demon-Haunted World
was excellent, by the way.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Please Donate To Reading Rainbow Kickstarter, Only 9 Days Left! WindyCityJazz 0 56 22-06-2014 06:39 PM
Last Post: WindyCityJazz
  Re-reading books BrokenQuill92 10 322 06-02-2014 12:31 AM
Last Post: Astreja
  Suggested Reading Material Julie15 12 615 08-03-2013 01:25 PM
Last Post: RaisdCath
  Would you be interested in reading the Christian Bible... PoolBoyG 37 1,616 04-11-2012 08:51 PM
Last Post: Logisch
  Started reading Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter kingschosen 2 441 16-04-2012 07:00 PM
Last Post: Logica Humano
  Reading list in the making... suggestions, anyone? wellspringofderision 15 1,395 05-04-2012 09:28 PM
Last Post: Bucky Ball