What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
29-05-2013, 05:03 PM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
Just discovered this guy: Robert Green Ingersoll.

Ingersoll's Greatest Lectures

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2013, 08:37 PM
* Journey to the West (1592) translated by Anthony Yu

This hefty tome (over 1,500 pages long) is truly one of my favorite literary classics (see this thread). I've previously read a different translation of the book twice in the Army, once in the US and the other while serving overseas. Anthony Yu was the first to do a complete translation in English back in the early 1980s. His work is also the most scholarly translation, complete with a lengthy introduction detailing the complex history and influences of the novel, as well as copious notes. He recently (as of late 2012) came out with a revised edition using the more standard pinyin romanization system and with updated notes. This is the version I'm starting on.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-06-2013, 01:24 AM
Posted on the worng thread, please remove.

[Image: 9f6.gif]
06-06-2013, 03:27 AM
What Are You Currently Reading?
Under the Dome - Stephen King
The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins
Expert HeadsUp NLH vol. 1 - Will Tipton
06-06-2013, 09:16 AM
Stalin - Robert Service
1984 - Orwell
The Proud Highway - Hunter S. Thompson

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
13-06-2013, 01:47 PM
Duma Key - Stephen King
Letters from an Atheist Nation: Godless Voices of America in 1903 - Thomas Lawson

If I could add the Lawson book is a collection of primary source letters from the turn of the century themed on why people are Atheists. They were originally published in a newspaper called the Blue Grass Blade, which was published by outspoken atheist Charles Moore. I got it for 2.99 for my iPad kindle app and it is just fantastic. These people were literally sounding off in a time where the consequences for being an atheist could mean actual jail time in the wrong state.
13-06-2013, 01:52 PM
I just stopped reading Rama II at about the midpoint, I love Clark but Gentry just ruins it with all his inconsequential character development. Clark doesn't do enough character development, Lee does far too much.

...Now I'm about 1/5 of the way through "The Selfish Gene" by the man, the myth, the legend, Mr. Richard Dawkins.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-06-2013, 03:51 PM
(13-06-2013 01:47 PM)AtheistTeacher Wrote:  Duma Key - Stephen King
Letters from an Atheist Nation: Godless Voices of America in 1903 - Thomas Lawson

If I could add the Lawson book is a collection of primary source letters from the turn of the century themed on why people are Atheists. They were originally published in a newspaper called the Blue Grass Blade, which was published by outspoken atheist Charles Moore. I got it for 2.99 for my iPad kindle app and it is just fantastic. These people were literally sounding off in a time where the consequences for being an atheist could mean actual jail time in the wrong state.

Love your Avatar!

There is an old Dark Tower thread around here somewhere, but it didn't get a lot of traction.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
13-06-2013, 04:15 PM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2013 05:05 PM by Stephen Charchuk.)
Re: What Are You Currently Reading?
I'm currently reading this thread..... I use to read books a lot but in recent years I find that too many of them are repeats of earlier books, like TV shows.
I finally get digital TV and there is hardly anything worth watching except for Dr. Who and that has so few new episodes per "season" that once one really gets into it it is over. I keep thinking of the song "57 Channels and Nothing On." and the episode of "Fairey Odd Parents" when Timmy goes back in time and is shown telling two boys that in the future there will be 700 channels on TV, but that there will not be anything good to watch. The boys then scream in terror. I know how they feel.

My 40" HDTV is mostly being used as the sreen for my Android TV Box as I "surf" the Internet.

Sent From My NEO x5....
13-06-2013, 08:28 PM
(13-06-2013 03:51 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Love your Avatar!

There is an old Dark Tower thread around here somewhere, but it didn't get a lot of traction.

Thanks! Kinda wish that thread was still around, I could shoot the shit on the DT series all day long. I don't identify myself as a "fanboy" with too many things, but with the Dark Tower series I am as hardcore as they get. Smile

"History teaches us that no other cause has brought more death than the word of god."