What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
13-06-2013, 10:11 PM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
(13-06-2013 08:28 PM)AtheistTeacher Wrote:  
(13-06-2013 03:51 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Love your Avatar!

There is an old Dark Tower thread around here somewhere, but it didn't get a lot of traction.

Thanks! Kinda wish that thread was still around, I could shoot the shit on the DT series all day long. I don't identify myself as a "fanboy" with too many things, but with the Dark Tower series I am as hardcore as they get. Smile

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...the-desert
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-06-2013, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the link, always great to find fellow Tower junkiesSmile

"History teaches us that no other cause has brought more death than the word of god."
Find all posts by this user
16-06-2013, 07:52 AM
I recently finished The Black Echo and The Black Ice by Michael Connelly.

I'm on a non-fiction binge right now. Reading Social Intelligence by Dan Goleman and Beyond Belief: The Secret Lives of Women in Extreme Religions (edited by Cami Ostman and Susan Tive). Riveting reading. Big Grin

http://www.amazon.com/Social-Intelligenc...telligence

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Belief-Secr...ond+belief
18-06-2013, 05:10 AM
Just finished reading A Memory of Light the final book in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. After 14 books this entire tome is basically just wrapping up the story, it focuses mainly on the final battle between the forces of Light and the overwhelming Shadow. There is no further character development for the most part.

Brandon Sanderson (the writer picked by Jordan's widow to finish the series) does a decent job of landing the series however I felt the end was a bit on the cheap side and would have enjoyed a flash forward say 20 years into the 4th age to see how the aftermath played out. He did manage to match Jordan's style in the last 3 books and probably did about as good a job of wrapping up this beast as is possible.

If you have read the series up til now then this is a definate must read. As a side note I saw on another thread that someone thought Jordan hated women by his approach to them in this series, I never got that sense. He has some very powerful women placed throughout and one of the main dynamics of his world is solely populated by women. By the end of the series more or less every male character has an equally capable female to act as a balance and in the case of 1 of the semi-main's to completely reverse the deathwish he has had the entire run.

Final score 4/5 for the book 4.5/5 for the entire series.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
19-06-2013, 12:04 AM
If It's Not One Thing, It's Your Mother by Julia Sweeney

Fantastic, funny, poignant. Very engaging memoir of Julia and her life adventures including the adoption of her now 12 year old daughter Mulan and her marriage to a scientist.

So far, I'm loving it. Thumbsup

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
19-06-2013, 01:17 AM
The Particle at the End of the Universe, by Sean Carroll. Don't read too much into the title.

Excellent book on the history of particle physics, including the (somewhat) recent discovery of the Higgs Boson at the LHC.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

23-06-2013, 01:24 AM
I'm reading unwind its a pretty creepy look at pretty much the worst way the abortion debate could go
23-06-2013, 02:15 AM
Follow up on - If It's Not One Thing, It's Your Mother by Julia Sweeney.

Wow! What a great book - a memoir about the changes and influences throughout Julia's life. It's about how so much of her experience all culminated in the years surrounding the adoption of her daughter and then meeting a scientist who would become her partner and father to her daughter. Finally, it's about how everything has helped inform her experience and how everything imparts insight into growth for herself and her daughter's future.

It's not sappy or sentimental at all and, though there are a couple of tragic moments, it is for the most part funny and quite hopeful.

If anyone wants advice about raising a kid without belief, check this book out. There is an entire chapter on the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus. Excellent insight with some great alternatives. And good laughs.

This is her most recent book and the reason I read it before her others, was because it was longer than the other books. I wanted the most bang for my buck. I know... I'm a retard. Blink

I think I might try her full length - Letting Go Of God - I've heard the transcript for the stage play and I understand the book version is meatier. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
23-06-2013, 08:18 AM
(23-06-2013 02:15 AM)kim Wrote:  Follow up on - If It's Not One Thing, It's Your Mother by Julia Sweeney.

Wow! What a great book - a memoir about the changes and influences throughout Julia's life. It's about how so much of her experience all culminated in the years surrounding the adoption of her daughter and then meeting a scientist who would become her partner and father to her daughter. Finally, it's about how everything has helped inform her experience and how everything imparts insight into growth for herself and her daughter's future.

It's not sappy or sentimental at all and, though there are a couple of tragic moments, it is for the most part funny and quite hopeful.

If anyone wants advice about raising a kid without belief, check this book out. There is an entire chapter on the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus. Excellent insight with some great alternatives. And good laughs.

This is her most recent book and the reason I read it before her others, was because it was longer than the other books. I wanted the most bang for my buck. I know... I'm a retard. Blink

I think I might try her full length - Letting Go Of God - I've heard the transcript for the stage play and I understand the book version is meatier. Shy

Letting Go of God
is available as a DVD. It is powerful and poignant to watch her deliver the stories.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-06-2013, 10:37 PM
What Are You Currently Reading?
I am reading archaeology of knowledge by Michelle Foucault.

What was that you guys were reading?