15-08-2013, 05:25 PM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
Under the Dome. Stephen King
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2013, 07:26 AM
Quantum Man - Lawrence Krauss

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
Find all posts by this user
16-08-2013, 12:33 PM
I got so curious and had to download it on my Kindle. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. So far, fabulous book!

"If things aren't funny anymore then they're exactly what they are and life is just one long dental appointment interrupted occasionally by something exciting like waiting or falling asleep" Jason Robards in A Thousand Clowns
16-08-2013, 07:48 PM
Just finished I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1Y07DMMGAV...hisHelpful

Quote:How much is a Girl Worth in Yemen? $750, Apparently

Yemen. The land of honey, nature, millennia of culture, mountains, deserts, child brides and human smuggling. A country of contradictions. Shariah and secular laws clash in an uneasy balance.

Driven out of her native town of Khardji, Nujood and her family move to the capital, Sana'a. Reduced to living in slums, her older brothers eventually leave. Unable to keep a job, her father sells Nujood (8 or 9 at this point) to another family for $750 (a temporary band-aid at best, and one which her younger sisters may have to face someday also). Despite reassurances that her 30-year-old "husband" will treat her with dignity and refrain from intercourse until the year after Nujood's first period, she is raped the same night she is taken to live with her captors. It is worth noting that in Islamic theocracies, men determine all family affairs, and the two genders have separate meetings and celebrations. Nujood did not even meet her husband until the day after her wedding. Unable to live as a child or even spend time with children, she finds the gargantuan, prodigious and copious amount of courage she needs to run away, say no, and search for those willing to aid her plight.

Fortunately, her case is taken up by a compassionate judge who shelters her from her abusive husband and blackmail-happy in-laws. Shada, an articulate lawyer and advocate for women's rights, she is liberated from a society where men are drug addicts and abusive. The religious indoctrination and resulting trauma inflicted upon young Nujood may take years more to heal, but at least she is free and safe for the present. Following in her saviour's footsteps, Nujood's tale deserves a place in every library next to Anne Frank's diary and Ayaan Hirsi Ali's Infidel.
20-08-2013, 08:11 AM
I'm immersing myself in a lot of classics lately.

I just finished the entire canon of Sherlock Holmes and now I'm embarking on a journey to The Adventures of Tom Sawyer..
20-08-2013, 08:19 AM
Fucking COBIT 5 Implementation and Assessment frameworks.

Sick of them!

20-08-2013, 08:22 AM
(20-08-2013 08:19 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Fucking COBIT 5 Implementation and Assessment frameworks.

Sick of them!

Sounds thrilling, can I borrow it when you're done?Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
20-08-2013, 08:54 AM
Just finished Jenny Pox by J.L. Bryan. Moving on to his next book Tommy Nightmare.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user