What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
20-08-2013, 09:46 AM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
Abominable Science!: Origins of the Yeti, Nessie, and Other Famous Cryptids (2013) by Daniel Loxton and Donald R. Prothero

This is one AMAZING book!!! I highly suggest it for anyone interested in the origins of famous modern mythological creatures. It dissects each subject, detailing a trail of inconsistencies and hoaxes. The best part is it's full of footnotes and has a huge bibliography. It was co-authored by Donald R. Prothero, a leading paleontologist. It is also one of the heaviest books for its size that I've ever owned. It probably weighs a good 2 lbs despite having just over 400 pages. This stems from the thick, high-gloss paper and sturdy cover.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2013, 01:56 PM
The divine comedy. I feared it would be really boring, but it's actually pretty good. I have a version with a fuckton of commentary notes and they really help to make it more understandable.

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you
do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will
understand why I dismiss yours.
Find all posts by this user
23-08-2013, 01:34 PM
Alexander Death by J.L. Bryan
24-08-2013, 04:49 PM
The Bonobo and the Atheist

I'm liking it much more than I thought I would. Soon I'll also be starting Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. It'll be my first time through that one.
27-08-2013, 11:12 PM
(20-08-2013 09:46 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Abominable Science!: Origins of the Yeti, Nessie, and Other Famous Cryptids (2013) by Daniel Loxton and Donald R. Prothero

This is one AMAZING book!!! I highly suggest it for anyone interested in the origins of famous modern mythological creatures. It dissects each subject, detailing a trail of inconsistencies and hoaxes. The best part is it's full of footnotes and has a huge bibliography. It was co-authored by Donald R. Prothero, a leading paleontologist. It is also one of the heaviest books for its size that I've ever owned. It probably weighs a good 2 lbs despite having just over 400 pages. This stems from the thick, high-gloss paper and sturdy cover.

That's very high on my wish list at Amazon. I'm going on a splurge soon and that one will probably be the first one I grab. I've read Donald Prothero's Evolution: What the Fossils Say and it is the best book on fossils I've ever read by a long, long way.

Great to see a positive review of this.

For me, right now I'm getting through How the Mind Works by Steven Pinker. As you would expect, it's brilliant.
27-08-2013, 11:18 PM
My addiction to Harry Potter continues
28-08-2013, 12:09 AM
(27-08-2013 11:18 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  My addiction to Harry Potter continues

I've promised my wife I'll read them, then we can watch the films.

Going to hopefully get her to read Jerry Coyne's Why Evolution is True in return. Big Grin
29-08-2013, 07:05 PM
The Hunchback of Notre-Dame. I cant wait for everyone to die, and love to perish in the end. Evil_monster

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
30-08-2013, 04:06 PM
Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flammel: The Magician
04-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Joshua 5.0: Sparser, better, faster, server. Just fucking fascinating. ... I mean if you're getting paid and shit. Tongue

This is not my signature.