A Game Of Thrones
&
A Clash Of Kings

I think that's 1 & 2 Unsure

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-10-2013, 05:59 PM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
Enjoy! If you have watched the tv series and liked that, you will love the books. Much better!
14-10-2013, 06:03 PM
(14-10-2013 05:59 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Enjoy! If you have watched the tv series and liked that, you will love the books. Much better!

Awesome! I might have to skip my normal sports entertainment regimen to start them now! Big Grin

But I don't normally drink & read! Consider I'll figure something out Tongue

14-10-2013, 06:07 PM
Hahaha best of luck. I just love the books so much because you can really sink your teeth into them!
15-10-2013, 08:46 AM
(13-10-2013 04:24 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Never Burn a Witch- M. R. Sellars
2*out of 5*

Part 2 in the Rowan Grant Detective series, the book is based around Rowan Grant Wiccan detective. The Author relies far too much on ham-handed "magic" and ruins what is otherwise an interesting story of a serial killer who is using the Malleus Maleficarum to execute suspected witches as heretics. The main character is the only person in the world (as far as the author lets on) that is able to perform these feats of greater magic but every witch he meets is psychic to some degree or another able to read each others minds and get impressions from the astral plane.

No explanation for the main characters extra powers is ever attempted and they become the Deus ex machina that propels the entire plot forward. From stigmata to conjuring the main character is able to perform these feats in an otherwise mundane world and no one seems to be more than momentarily surprised at it. If the magic had been handled better (as it is in better series the Anita Blake vampire hunter series is a much better example) the baseline story would have been worthy of a read but with the treatment of magic and the lack of a decent payoff I cannot recommend reading this.

Rev... reads... urban fantasy? Heart

Anyway, I finished up Magic Bleeds by Ilona Andrews and again, just wasn't too impressed. I didn't like Roland's back-story at all. Too biblical for my tastes. And - again - the main storyline itself just didn't hook me. Magic Strikes was so good that I think it spoiled me, maybe. Still, it wasn't bad and I was so excited for Kate and Curran to finally get together (even though I would not have objected to a more detailed sex scene, lol) so overall, I liked it. (But Magic Strikes is better.)

I just got a bunch of new books so I've a lot on my plate, reading-wise. Of course, Magic Slays is up next in the Kate Daniels series so I've got it to read.

Oh, and I got Wrong Ways Down by Stacia Kane (highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend this series - the Downside Ghosts series - it's gritty, the world-building is awesome, and the characterization is very, very good; Stacia is my author-crush right now, love her to death!). All the other books in this series (Downside Ghosts) are narrated by Chess Putnam, but this one's from Terrible's POV and thus far, it's great. I Heart me some Terrible. Chess is a witch who works for the Church of Real Truth as a debunker. Basically, as the job title suggests, she debunks claims of ghost hauntings. She is also an addict, and Terrible is an enforcer for the local drug lord. Anyway, fucking awesome series. Don't miss out on it!

And I got some MM romance books. Read Emerald Moon - a very short MM romance by Ann Mayburn - and it was nice. I also got From the Ashes by Daisy Harris, but I haven't started it yet. The sexy firefighter on the cover got my attention, lol.

I really wanted to get the next book in the Sirantha Jax series, especially considering where Wanderlust left off. Poor March. And yes, I haz a crush on him, too. I get lots of crushes on dudes. Even fictional ones. Heart But I only had so much money to spend, so I put it off for another time. This series is also another that I highly recommend. I kept wanting to find a series about "a woman in space" and I found this one by Ann Aguirre and it's definitely delivering.

Happy reading everyone!

15-10-2013, 03:49 PM
The Deed of Paksenarrion - a fantasy novel from the 80s, following the adventures of a woman (Paksenarrion) who joins a mercenary company after running away from an arranged marriage.

I like it so far. The one thing that puts this above other fantasy novels I've read is that Paks doesn't go from farm girl to hero in an instant, she isn't a genius, and she isn't invulnerable. There is a lot she doesn't understand, many people are better fighters than her, and when she fights in the front lines she gets messed up a lot in the action; head trauma, cuts to her arms, broken bones, stabbed leg, et cetera. She also isn't the hero in every battle as with most fantasy novels; she relies on other people, and battles are won and lost without her. I'm fine if she turns into a fantasy hero eventually, because she at least has had a smooth and slow transition into a warrior. Novels often go too fast, from "Help, I don't know what's going on and I can't fight!" into "I'm going into Mt. Doom because I'm the only one who can slay Evil Dude" halfway into the first book.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
15-10-2013, 04:24 PM
Last book i read was "The Arabs: A History" written by " Eugene Rogan", which gives a good insight to the history of conflicts within the arabic culture, it is a good read if you wish to get more insights into todays conflicts that is going on in middle east, from the root of it to our present day.
As for the next book, i may plan to read "The Silmarillion" later on. I am a very fond of J.R.R Tolkien, and i do enjoy reading fantasy books, but for now, i feel to put my book readings on a shelter, for the moment.
16-10-2013, 09:10 AM
Finished "Wrong Ways Down" so now I'm buckling down on Magic Slays and From The Ashes.

Also, still plugging away on Darwin's Origin of Species. It's kind of an "as I get to it" book.

16-10-2013, 09:12 AM
I'm currently reading (almost done) The Slave Across the Street by Theresa Flores.

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

16-10-2013, 09:15 AM
Naked Lunch - William S. Burroughs

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume