What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
17-12-2013, 02:38 PM (This post was last modified: 17-12-2013 02:42 PM by ghostexorcist.)
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
Lots of stuff. I'm trying to knock out a paper I've been wanting to write for sometime now that I'm on winter break from school. The paper will deal with when the ancestors of the Kaifeng Jews, an ancient community of Semitic people who lived in China for the better part of 900 years, started taking Chinese wives:

* The Travels of Ibn Battuta (His travel journal from the 14th-century)
* A Mediterranean Society (Vol. 1-5) by S.D. Goitein
* India Traders of the Middle Ages: Documents From the Cairo Geniza by S.D. Goitein
* The Inner Quarters: Marriage and the Lives of Chinese Women in the Sung period by Patricia Buckley Ebrey
* Commerce and Society in Sung China by Shiba Yoshinobu
* Mythology and Folklore of the Hui, A Muslim Chinese People by Shujian Li and Karl W. Luckert
* The Chinese-Hebrew Memorial Book by Donald Leslie
* Survival of the Chinese Jews by Donald Leslie
* Chinese Jews by William Charles White
* The History of Women's Mosques in Chinese Islam by Maria Jaschok and Shui Jingjun
* Before the Dawn: Recovering the Lost History of Our Ancestors by Nicholas Wade
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2013, 02:35 AM
Legends of the Dragonrealm.

Attached File(s)
.png  1f.png (Size: 130.42 KB / Downloads: 14)

"How can one be an atheist if he is constantly praying for redemption"
22-12-2013, 08:56 AM
I'm halfway through '2082: The Chronicles Of Hope' and my mind is completely boggled! It's about a politician in the year 2082 who fronts a project on a different planet provoked by overpopulation. The politician, Frank Noon, is an atheist and a bit of a visionary genius (some of his thoughts and takes on subjects had me awake at night thinking). Some of the characters are original to the point of comic genius (racist hippie, competitive rastafarian etc). Haven't got a clue where this is going but i highly recommend to all as an original read over xmas, i got the eBook for 99p
Find all posts by this user
23-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Best books to open my eyes- I am reading for studies all the accounting books I can and legal source books at the law library, the law codes, USC, IRC, UCC, learning new terms in the dictionary of law, reading cases in Westlaw, and on top of that, when I want my eyes open more, I read what I checked out at the library free of charge- Warren Farrell, his books on gender, which raise my consciousness, and Nietzsche- Ecce Homo, Zarathustra, and Twilight. These are my primary books. i have 1000s on kindle also, a wide and controversial range, covering communism, WWII, philosophy, religion, atheism, as well as drama, erotica, and other. I also have Gleim's CPA study review books. Most important is my tax/law/accounting work, because that is my work, not merely my self-improvement.
25-12-2013, 07:46 PM
(20-11-2013 10:13 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  I'm reading two books right now. Dune, by Frank Herbert and also a collection of short stories by Ray Bradbury, entitled The Illustrated Man. Both are good reads so far. Big Grin

Ray Bradbury's The Illustrated Man was one of the most fantastic compilation of stories that I have ever read, and I've read many.
27-12-2013, 10:54 AM
Hi there currently reading a book called 2082: The Chronicles Of Hope. It's a political fiction book about an atheist MP that's been pushed by dawkins here in the Uk, highly recommend it. It's kept me up at night thinking about some of the subjects and you should at least check out the free chapter on the website (http://www.thechroniclesofhope.com), which features a speech on religion that is genius!
27-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Teahouse Fire by Ellis Avery
27-12-2013, 05:30 PM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2013 05:35 PM by Heathen.)
A Universe from Nothing: Why There is Something Rather than Nothing
by Lawrence Krauss

I'm about half-way through this. Krauss is one of those writers (and speakers) who has the gift of being able to explain complex scientific ideas about the universe to the layman. I already know that this is one of those books that I will reread in order to really grasp the concepts. The book requires concentration but the effort is well rewarded with a better understanding of the cosmos. For us atheists, a book like is a fantastic reminder of how awe inspiring the natural world truly is. Let Lawrence take you on a trip to the stars and beyond. Great exercise for the mind!

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
27-12-2013, 06:09 PM
(17-12-2013 02:38 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Lots of stuff. I'm trying to knock out a paper I've been wanting to write for sometime now that I'm on winter break from school. The paper will deal with when the ancestors of the Kaifeng Jews, an ancient community of Semitic people who lived in China for the better part of 900 years, started taking Chinese wives:

* The Travels of Ibn Battuta (His travel journal from the 14th-century)
* A Mediterranean Society (Vol. 1-5) by S.D. Goitein
* India Traders of the Middle Ages: Documents From the Cairo Geniza by S.D. Goitein
* The Inner Quarters: Marriage and the Lives of Chinese Women in the Sung period by Patricia Buckley Ebrey
* Commerce and Society in Sung China by Shiba Yoshinobu
* Mythology and Folklore of the Hui, A Muslim Chinese People by Shujian Li and Karl W. Luckert
* The Chinese-Hebrew Memorial Book by Donald Leslie
* Survival of the Chinese Jews by Donald Leslie
* Chinese Jews by William Charles White
* The History of Women's Mosques in Chinese Islam by Maria Jaschok and Shui Jingjun
* Before the Dawn: Recovering the Lost History of Our Ancestors by Nicholas Wade

Showoff. Tongue

'See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way.' -JF
27-12-2013, 06:28 PM
2010: Odyssey Two

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Please Donate To Reading Rainbow Kickstarter, Only 9 Days Left! WindyCityJazz 0 55 22-06-2014 06:39 PM
Last Post: WindyCityJazz
  Re-reading books BrokenQuill92 10 321 06-02-2014 12:31 AM
Last Post: Astreja
  Suggested Reading Material Julie15 12 614 08-03-2013 01:25 PM
Last Post: RaisdCath
  Would you be interested in reading the Christian Bible... PoolBoyG 37 1,609 04-11-2012 08:51 PM
Last Post: Logisch
  Started reading Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter kingschosen 2 437 16-04-2012 07:00 PM
Last Post: Logica Humano
  Reading list in the making... suggestions, anyone? wellspringofderision 15 1,387 05-04-2012 09:28 PM
Last Post: Bucky Ball