Just finished the "Praise of Folly" by Erasmus
Started "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins
Next is likely to be "Fear and Trembling" by Amélie Nothomb
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-01-2014, 10:11 AM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
Active Directory Weeping FML.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-02-2014, 11:14 AM
The Dragon and the George by Gordon Dickson and God is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens Big Grin

02-02-2014, 12:56 AM
The Mark of Athena, by Rick Riordan. That is one of the books in the follow up series to the Percy Jackson series that started with "The Lightning Thief" which they made into a movie.

Just got Stephen King's sequel to The Shining too. That one is next I think...
02-02-2014, 01:08 AM
fanfiction Muggle Fairy Tales Are Mad! by Meltha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-02-2014, 09:32 AM
Hi, i may have posted about this before but i've just finished reading the sequel in a new series of books in the UK called the chronicles of hope. They've been pushed by dawkins and feature an atheist revolutionary politician. Very original characters and story and highly recommend - there's the first chapter free here which is worth reading for a speech on religion that's genius - http://thechroniclesofhope.com/preview/
02-02-2014, 10:06 AM
Carl Sagan's "Pale Blue Dot"

"You can stick your moral standards, because it's all a dirty lie" -Bon Scott
02-02-2014, 01:08 PM
I agree with Mindprowler. Strange comparison re Mockingbird - - with Lord of the Flies, you're dealing with relatively upper class boys from an English private school, aren't you? [Haven't read it for awhile]. Plus there's no decent adult to protect the vulnerable of course - but I supposed the comparison is interesting because with Lord of the Flies, it's the 'other side of innocence' that gets explored? Or am I talkin pretentious BS - prolly. If so, sorry!

Enjoy reading the book/s.

My current reading:

Michele Roberts' short stories - 'Playing Sardines' - she has a wonderful, sensual way of writing, and you finish the stories satisfied .... as opposed to those short story writers where you read the story then think ok but what was *that* all about? She's half English and half French and explores this in various creative and interesting ways - especially the delight of French cooking. Yums.

Sherlock Holmes's Greatest Cases - Arthur Conan Doyle. I think one big reason Conan Doyle got fooled about 'fairy photographs' in real life, is his view expressed by Holmes's that when you've eliminated all possible alternatives in an incident, the one that remains - however absurd - is the truth. Errrrr .... but how do you *know* there aren't alternatives you havent thought of?! [see Karl Popper] That said, I enjoy the stories and they're easy to read when I'm feeling a bit below par.

Saki [H.H. Munro] - The Complete Stories. Again, lots of short stories to dip into - I'm feeling a bit ADHD / insomniac atm - can only focus in short spurts. Saki needs more attention than the other two, because it's very condensed and witty, but the stories are *very* short. His characters are kinda like Jeeves n Wooster but it's sharper, like you imagine it would be having Oscar Wilde recount stories to you.

All for now - Moodie x
07-02-2014, 05:46 PM
Currently halted on Dance with Dragons by GRRM because I am enjoying this series too much and the sixth book isn't in sight. I have a serious addiction with this series.

So, debating on what to read out of the following:

The Borgias, by G.J. Meyer
The Tigress of Forli, by Elizabeth Lev
Man and His Symbols, by Carl Jung & Company
The Plantagenets: The Warrior Kings and Queens who made England, by Dan Jones

Also have a $100 Amazon card and am thinking of getting Sagan's Cosmos, On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society by Dave Grossman, and The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell.

Kinda all over the place there, but yep, kinda wishing I could read more than one book at a time. ^^
07-02-2014, 06:15 PM
(07-02-2014 05:46 PM)Deerdra Wrote:  Currently halted on Dance with Dragons by GRRM because I am enjoying this series too much and the sixth book isn't in sight. I have a serious addiction with this series.

Sadcryface yeah, don't hold your breath on that one, I've been waiting so long!! Going to re-read them all soon to get my fix.

Currently reading Lost Fleet: Dauntless by Jack Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post