What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
30-04-2014, 12:08 PM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
The European Discovery of America The Southern Voyages 1492-1616 by Samuel Eliot Morison

I've always found the "contact" period fascinating for several reasons. I have had the opportunity to stand in the very places where two civilizations met and clashed, I love fortifications overlooking tranquil bays, sandy beaches that look today the way the must have looked to Columbus, Mendoza, Magellan and my personal favorite Alvar Nunez Cabeza de Vaca, perhaps the only humanist among all the explorers.

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2014, 05:06 PM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2014 05:11 PM by Escape Artist.)
Just finished up this baby...

[Image: Volume_1-Days_Gone_Bye.jpg]

And now iz gonna start on this one. Big Grin

[Image: 3515503-01.jpg]

As far as non-comics material goes, I'm reading Endymion!!! Hobo

[Image: Endymion_cover.jpg]

23-05-2014, 06:19 PM
Charles Bukowski You Get So Alone At Times That It Just Makes Sense.
31-05-2014, 07:59 PM
[Image: 5199Ge1emvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

Okay, there's precious little reading involved, but still...

[Image: MegahentaiSignature_zps7c4b73b2.jpg]
01-06-2014, 08:22 AM
(03-10-2010 06:30 PM)Mindprowler Wrote:  [Image: whatareyoureading.png]
Reading anything interesting? Post it here.

I'm currently reading Neil DeGrasse Tyson's book:
Death By Black Hole; & Other Cosmic Quandries

The book basically covers everything astronomical that the general
public would enjoy reading about. It's like a less poetic but more
humorous and laid back version of Carl Sagan's Cosmos.

Here's a video of Tyson summarizing the title chapter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1iJXOUMJpg

[Image: deathbyblackhole.png]

A collection of Agatha Christie writings.....the 2 volume set of "Reporting WWII", and just finished "Iron Coffins"

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
[+] 1 user Likes RaisdCath's post
07-06-2014, 06:15 PM
Promoted Beyond Glory
4 out of 5

Very interesting take on NDE's and one possible solution to the metaphysical debate. The plot moves at a fairly quick pace and you can get swept up in the story. The characters are all unique but tend to be a bit shallow; with the amount of events packed into the story character development is necessarily lessened in favor of a speedy plot. Being that this is the first in a series the payoff at the end is more of a cliffhanger than a satisfying conclusion. Overall a geed read with an interesting story.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
07-06-2014, 10:09 PM
The Mystery in the Old Clock -- Nancy Drew.
not really
but I am reading "Beneath the Mask of Holiness" .. Mark Shaw's look at the "real" story of the famous Catholic author/monk, Thomas Merton. I've meant to read it for a long time. Shaw is a remarkably horrible writer, (and it was apparently not even edited ?) but it's still interesting. Merton was deeply unhappy in religion, and probably mentally ill, certainly guilt ridden. His abbott (and Rome) basically had him imprisoned, (as a popular writer, he made them a LOT of $$). Wow. Another "hero" with feet of clay. What a sad little man. If you know his journals, or anything he wrote, it's fascinating what went on behind the scenes.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Political skeptic .. if there is a bad reason something bad might have happened, you can bet your ass, that's why it happened.
07-06-2014, 10:21 PM
Pussy: King of the Pirates

By Kathy Acker

A postmodern read! Altogether too much fun.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
08-06-2014, 07:10 PM
I'm 3/4 through Dreamcatcher. Still sifting through The God Delusion, and waiting on my new book of astronomy!

http://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Astronomy-N...filippenko

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
09-06-2014, 12:12 AM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2014 12:39 AM by Dee.)
(07-06-2014 10:23 PM)Dee Wrote:  
(07-06-2014 10:09 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The Mystery in the Old Clock -- Nancy Drew.
not really
but I am reading "Beneath the Mask of Holiness" .. Mark Shaw's look at the "real" story of the famous Catholic author/monk, Thomas Merton. I've meant to read it for a long time. Shaw is a remarkably horrible writer, (and it was apparently not even edited ?) but it's still interesting. Merton was deeply unhappy in religion, and probably mentally ill, certainly guilt ridden. His abbott (and Rome) basically had him imprisoned, (as a popular writer, he made them a LOT of $$). Wow. Another "hero" with feet of clay. What a sad little man. If you know his journals, or anything he wrote, it's fascinating what went on behind the scenes.

LMAO, I hate reading the works of remarkably horrible writers!

Hay, this is really bazaar all of you; see my name at the top? I did not post this response, post #649. Neither did I write any of the above, although it has my name on it. How is this possible?

Mods, Mods! What's this?

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles