What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
22-06-2014, 03:31 PM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
(22-06-2014 03:15 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Just finished up Dan Simmons' Endymion and I liked it very much. True, it was no Hyperion or Fall of Hyperion but it was still good and I very much enjoyed getting to revisit the world Simmons' created. Will get to Rise of Endymion in due time, of course, but in the meantime...

...holy cheez-its I haz to finish up god is not Great by the erudite Mr. Hitchens. Hobo

Next up for fiction in the traditional novel category is Frank Herbert's Children of Dune. Big Grin

Viva la Toaster! Viva La Revolutione!

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
22-06-2014, 03:40 PM
(22-06-2014 03:31 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(22-06-2014 03:15 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Just finished up Dan Simmons' Endymion and I liked it very much. True, it was no Hyperion or Fall of Hyperion but it was still good and I very much enjoyed getting to revisit the world Simmons' created. Will get to Rise of Endymion in due time, of course, but in the meantime...

...holy cheez-its I haz to finish up god is not Great by the erudite Mr. Hitchens. Hobo

Next up for fiction in the traditional novel category is Frank Herbert's Children of Dune. Big Grin

Viva la Toaster! Viva La Revolutione!

Shush, you!!! Tongue

Hug

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
04-07-2014, 05:57 AM
[Image: weaponbrown_softcover01.jpg]

[Image: MegahentaiSignature_zps7c4b73b2.jpg]
06-07-2014, 05:23 PM
"The Beak of the Finch" by Jonathan Weiner, Pulitzer Prize winner.

Fascinating story of the Grants, a husband and wife team that spend twenty plus years collecting finch data from one of the small islands of the Galapagos.

Today I came across this in the book and thought I'd share. In the chapter entitled G.O.D., page 216:

"If species were created once and for all, if they all came tumbling to life finished and polished, as Milton paints them in Paradise Lost, then each species of Darwin's finches would posses a fixed, permanent, never-changing set of genes.. But genes are not fixed. The one hundred thousand genes of Darwin's finches are shuffled and cut in every generation, like a mammoth deck of cards. Each finch egg in each cactus tree receives a unique, absolutely unprecedented combination of genes. That is why every finch in the Galapagos is endowed with its own set of measurements of beak, wing, tarsus and hallux, to say nothing of thousands of variant forms of submicroscopic enzymes like cytochrome b.

Every twenty-four hours, inside every living cell, about one hundred copies of the letter C are half-sprung from their spiral railings. Squadrons of enzymes travel day and night along strands of DNA and mend broken Cs. In effect these enzymes are proof-readers. Sometimes they put a C back wrong, and forever after that particular C reads G."

In short the finches along with every other living organism in the planet is constantly changing and mutating ever so slightly, in twenty years the Grants have been able to "watch" the evolution process. Imagine what happens when twenty years becomes 20,000 or 20 million!

I highly recommend this book if you are at all interested with field work and lab work.

FC

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
08-07-2014, 12:20 AM
Reading one paper called "Molecular analyses of dinosaur osteocytes support the presence of endogenous molecules." It is so I can debunk some more creationist crap.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
08-07-2014, 08:54 AM
Horns by Joe Hill.

Interesting premise, and the beginning chapters are really good.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
09-07-2014, 10:16 PM
The Happy Atheist by PZ Myers.
10-07-2014, 02:07 AM
The Hobbit.

I first read it when I was 10 and read Lord of the Rings at 11. Ever since then it's been unsatisfying to read The Hobbit because it's aimed at children. I've bought a German copy and am now finding it challenging which is good because it's nice to be able to read it again.

I've just finished reading Batwoman too (also in German). It was the first time I have bought a comic or graphic novel. I really enjoyed it and the rest of the volumes should be delivered soon. I'm going to start Catwoman next.

With The Hobbit I'm just going to try reading it straight through and if there words I don't know then I will just continue. I'm going making sure to translate the comics properly line by line because there's far less text to read.

If anyone can recommend decent graphic novels for women please do say.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
10-07-2014, 08:21 AM
(10-07-2014 02:07 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  The Hobbit.

I first read it when I was 10 and read Lord of the Rings at 11. Ever since then it's been unsatisfying to read The Hobbit because it's aimed at children. I've bought a German copy and am now finding it challenging which is good because it's nice to be able to read it again.

I've just finished reading Batwoman too (also in German). It was the first time I have bought a comic or graphic novel. I really enjoyed it and the rest of the volumes should be delivered soon. I'm going to start Catwoman next.

With The Hobbit I'm just going to try reading it straight through and if there words I don't know then I will just continue. I'm going making sure to translate the comics properly line by line because there's far less text to read.

If anyone can recommend decent graphic novels for women please do say.

I here Saga is pretty good. EA sure ate it up.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
10-07-2014, 12:00 PM
(10-07-2014 08:21 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(10-07-2014 02:07 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  If anyone can recommend decent graphic novels for women please do say.

I here Saga is pretty good. EA sure ate it up.

That looks just the ticket! Thanks!

7.30 euros for the English edition, 22 euros for the German language version unfortunately.