What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
02-10-2014, 08:43 AM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
Just finished Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift

[Image: 001_gullivers_travels.jpg]

There is a reason it is a classic. Masterful satire hidden behind a whimsical tale. The first part of the book is so familiar it is probably the hardest to get through (having been done so many times in film and other media) but once you are past Lilliput and on to the lesser known travels the style of writing and wonderfully descriptive people and settings really draw you in. Previously I had only read A Modest Proposal by this author and the same biting humor that shone through that piece is well represented in this his most famous work.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
03-10-2014, 05:34 AM
My sister recently mentioned reading 'Gone Girl' and said it was a good read.

I bought it a couple weeks ago but haven't started it yet. Anybody here read it? If so, how is it?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
03-10-2014, 12:06 PM
On the Historicity of Jesus: Why We Might Have Reason for Doubt

Richard Carrier

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
04-10-2014, 03:51 PM
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K Dick

[Image: 18lqnyvn65xtxjpg.jpg]

What can you say about Philip K Dick, the man is responsible for most of the science fiction of the last 40 years. Prolific author who, when he wasn't forced to turn out copy just to pay the rent, was able to craft worlds unlike anyone else. Everyone should read something by this author at least once, but to really get it you should read it several times.

As to this work, well this is the book that inspired the movie Blade Runner arguably the best sci-fi film ever made. The Movie and the Book share many themes (What does it mean to be alive, to be human) but they have wildly divergent narratives. The world of Blade Runner is darker and more oppressive than in Androids, yet Androids is far bleaker with the earth having been blasted by nuclear war and slowly dying.

One of the themes not picked up on for Blade Runner is the new age religion that has seemingly replaced all previous religions (no other religions are mentioned in the book) Mercerism which is based around Empathy and love of all life (Owning animals is another big theme that the movie never touched on). The narrative of the book is a day in the life of a police bounty hunter named Richard Deckard who is called onto the case of 6 renegade androids when his superior is shot in the line of duty.

537/10

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
08-10-2014, 05:34 AM
(02-10-2014 08:43 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Just finished Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift

[Image: 001_gullivers_travels.jpg]

There is a reason it is a classic. Masterful satire hidden behind a whimsical tale. The first part of the book is so familiar it is probably the hardest to get through (having been done so many times in film and other media) but once you are past Lilliput and on to the lesser known travels the style of writing and wonderfully descriptive people and settings really draw you in. Previously I had only read A Modest Proposal by this author and the same biting humor that shone through that piece is well represented in this his most famous work.

The picture doesn't look anything like Jack Black.

[Image: oscar.png]
12-10-2014, 11:55 AM
Just finished up The Walking Dead, Volume 2...

[Image: walkingdeadv2.jpg]

I admit, I was initially thrown off by the change in artists from the first volume to the second, but once I got past that, the book just flew by. Just please, dearest publisher, don't switch artists again, mmkay?? (unless you go back to the old one Tongue).

Big changes for our characters happened in this second volume as they search for a place to call home. And they may have just found it!!! Big Grin Looking forward to the next installment.

-------------------------

As far as novels, I am reading Libriomancer by Jim Hines.

[Image: 12844699.jpg]

The main character is a guy who can pull magical items from books! Pretty cool. It's a light, fun read so far.

-------------------------

Next up in the world of comics for me, I think, is gonna be one that Revs happened across yesterday...

[Image: 048700053da7e32a530ff9b879c9b99a_large.jpg?1344216142]

It's about superheroes gone all wrong (and insane!!) so it should be pretty cool, I think. Big Grin

--------------------------

And then after that, my next foray will be into Fables. Yes

[Image: Fables.png]

So many things I want to read!!! Weeping

[+] 2 users Like Escape Artist's post
26-10-2014, 02:02 AM
Endless Forms Beautiful: The New science of Evo Devo Sean b Carroll
Quite good thus far really like the nooks by this author. Just talks evolution and only references the god question a few times. Something I dislike about Dawkins. I'm already an unbeliever no need to spend so much time on ID
26-10-2014, 08:24 AM
Stephen King's It.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
04-11-2014, 02:37 AM
Bill Nye undeniable

Got the eBook. May pick up the hardcover as well. Book stores are far to scarce around here. So maybe an amazon order
[+] 1 user Likes Homerx's post
04-11-2014, 03:33 PM
Undeniable- Bill Nye

MY GOD, TODAY IS A GOOD DAY.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.