What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
07-11-2014, 01:23 PM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
[Image: Bible_Unearthed.jpg]

and...

[Image: 51%2B2-EdbHXL.jpg]

I'm reading The Bible Unearthed and Who Wrote the Bible...at the same time. I have them both on my kindle. What I've tried to do is synchronize the time line to match up in each book and switch back and forth between the two books as I read along. It's been hard to keep the timeline matching on each book but still, it's doable. What an amazing way to read these two books. It gives each book greater dimension.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2014, 04:52 PM
The Illustrated A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking
07-11-2014, 05:11 PM
Imperial Ambitions. Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
13-11-2014, 06:38 AM
I'm finally getting around to reading a really old script a mate wrote.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
13-11-2014, 09:45 AM
Quiet (The power of Introverts in a world that can't stop talking)- Susan Cain

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
13-11-2014, 02:10 PM
My life in France by Julia Child. It had been on my list for a while and I think I'm realizing why I've successfully avoided it til now; all I want to do is cook, eat, & move to France. And I'm not even halfway through it, yet!

Is it weird to have an urge to buy butter? Blink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
13-11-2014, 05:38 PM
I tend to start more things than I can finish. I have been "reading" Tom Apostol's Calculus, Vol. 1 (and working all the problems) intermittently for over 30 years, and I'm only a little more than halfway through (and then there's Volume 2).

In the last month or two, I have started reading:

1. A facsimile of the original 1611 King James Bible;
2. Durant's Story of Philosophy;
3. Spitta's J. S. Bach;
4. Roger Scruton, The Aesthetics of Music;
5. A music theory book (can't remember the title);
6. The Oxford Book of English Ghost Stories;
7. Emily Dickinson, The Complete Poems;
8. William James, The Varieties of Religious Experience.

It's a safe bet that I'll finish #8 in the reasonably near future, but I can't guarantee any of the others. Of course, #1, #6, and #7 are anthologies of shorter works, so there is no continuity problem if I read them in bits and pieces and never finish. But all of the others (including the Calculus text) would benefit from a continuous reading, and whenever I interrupt that for more than a few days, I have to go back and review. Not very efficient.
29-11-2014, 05:58 AM
Just finished "Reservation Blues" by Sherman Alexie. I've read some of his stuff and this wasn't a short story collection which surprised me since it's (sort of) a sequel to "The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven." It was something I've wanted to read for a while since it more centers around Thomas Builds A Fire ( a character I really liked) but just now got around to picking up. It's a very well written story with a good balance of humor and serious tones.

Plot?The story is that blues singer, Robert Johnson, comes to the Spokane Indian Reservation, trying to get away from the devil. Thomas picks him up and Robert leaves his magical/possessed guitar inThomas' van. The guitar persuades him, Victor Joseph and Junior Polatkin to form a band. And, well, the story goes on from there.

Also, Alexie is Spokane and a vast majority of his writing is about reservation/Native American life (can't think of anything he wrote other than maybe a short story or two that wasn't) so if that interests you, I'd say check him out.

[Image: notagain.gif]
04-12-2014, 09:43 PM
[Image: 51OOKXmCjzL.jpg]

again

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
05-12-2014, 05:40 PM
I have pretty much abandoned all the things mentioned in my last post, and am now reading The Collected Tales of Nikolai Gogol, translated by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky.

Between that last post and this one, I read Philip Roth's first book, Goodbye, Columbus: one novella and five short stories about Jewish-American life in the 1950s. Excellent.