What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
05-12-2014, 10:10 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2014 10:13 PM by yakherder.)
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
Christian Slaves, Muslim Masters: White Slavery in the Mediterranean, the Barbary Coast and Italy, 1500-1800

A Field Guide to Venomous Animals and Poisonous Plants: North America North of Mexico

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2014, 10:22 PM
Trying to get through Richard Carrier's 700-plus-page opus On the Historocity of Jesus but so many footnotes and backstory and explanations that it's making it hard to give a damn.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-12-2014, 12:57 PM
Homer's Odyssey. Is anyone here well read on the Odyssey? I need some help.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
08-12-2014, 01:08 PM
(05-12-2014 10:22 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Trying to get through Richard Carrier's 700-plus-page opus On the Historocity of Jesus but so many footnotes and backstory and explanations that it's making it hard to give a damn.

It gets better as it goes; at least I thought it did. Maybe because I stopped reading a lot of the footnotes figuring I'll read them on a second pass. Chapter 11 should have been chapter 1 (unless you already read his Proving History).

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
01-01-2015, 02:15 PM
Taoism and the Arts of China (2000)

This massive book accompanies an exhibit of 150 rare pieces of Chinese art hosted by the Art Institute of Chicago. The paintings, woodblock prints, statues, textiles, and swords are used to describe the religious and philosophical history of Taoism. It's rather informative and is fully of gorgeous pictures.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-01-2015, 02:20 PM
Othello by that guy Bill.

The great thing about having a 14yr old don is getting to reread this and sharing the joy with him.

(P.S: I also get to play paintball as well Smile ).

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
01-01-2015, 03:08 PM
[Image: 615sAXKTSDL.jpg]

Not to spoil it for anyone - but the Earth just got destroyed.
[+] 1 user Likes GenericBox's post
01-01-2015, 03:40 PM
[Image: 61abCAaz34L._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

Richard Nixon is reincarnated as Barack Obama without anyone noticing. A Bible-obsessed Department of Homeland Security interrogates a woman for not having a cell phone. A graphic novelist is hired to tell the tale of sodomy in trench warfare. Nudity abounds. Either Sacco has gone completely around the bend, or he's operating on a whole different level than the rest of the audience. Fans of Peter Kuper will find a lot to like here. Not sure what the title means, though given Sacco's sudden obsession with anal sex, it could be short for "bumfucking".

[Image: MegahentaiSignature_zps7c4b73b2.jpg]
02-01-2015, 07:15 PM
I am reading The Physics of Star Trek by Lawrence Krauss and Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson. B.S. is a Mormon author of some pretty damn good fantasy novels. He is currently my favorite fiction fantasy author. I have read hundreds of fantasy novels and absolutely love them. Fantasy is my favorite fiction genre. I often wonder if other atheist enjoy fantasy as much as I do. Lately, I have been switching between nonfiction (mostly the big names in atheist authors) and my fantasy novels. Just bought The Origin of Species on ebook which I hadn't read in more than a decade. One fantasy series I really enjoyed was Michael Sullivan's Riyria Revelations. Talk about a world where the church is the ultumate authority and is totally full of shit!!! Great series! Anybody else love fantasy? Hate me for loving it?
02-01-2015, 07:25 PM
(01-01-2015 03:40 PM)MegaHentai Wrote:  [Image: 61abCAaz34L._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

Richard Nixon is reincarnated as Barack Obama without anyone noticing. A Bible-obsessed Department of Homeland Security interrogates a woman for not having a cell phone. A graphic novelist is hired to tell the tale of sodomy in trench warfare. Nudity abounds. Either Sacco has gone completely around the bend, or he's operating on a whole different level than the rest of the audience. Fans of Peter Kuper will find a lot to like here. Not sure what the title means, though given Sacco's sudden obsession with anal sex, it could be short for "bumfucking".

"Bumf" is English slang for toilet paper (bum fodder).

Seems like a "charmin" little novella...

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.