What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
07-01-2015, 04:03 PM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?

Right now I'm reading Lawrence Wright's excellent book "Going Clear. Scientology, Hollywood & the Prison of Belief ". Can recommend warmly.

The one, true, and real Harvey

Bene vixit, bene qui latuit
René Descartes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Harvey's post
21-01-2015, 12:58 AM
The Silver Series and Werewolf Academy by Cheree Alsop....They are pop trash style novels, but I love anything werewolf so I put up with it.

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"
22-01-2015, 03:21 PM
(01-01-2015 03:08 PM)GenericBox Wrote:  [Image: 615sAXKTSDL.jpg]

Not to spoil it for anyone - but the Earth just got destroyed.

Don't worry. The mice have ordered a new one...

Smile

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
23-01-2015, 07:27 AM
Earth Abides.
George R. Stewart
It's a pretty sad story but fucking excellent.
This is my second time reading it.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
23-01-2015, 07:28 AM
The Bible Confused

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
23-01-2015, 09:02 AM
(02-01-2015 07:15 PM)nobs_notes Wrote:  I am reading The Physics of Star Trek by Lawrence Krauss and Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson. B.S. is a Mormon author of some pretty damn good fantasy novels. He is currently my favorite fiction fantasy author. I have read hundreds of fantasy novels and absolutely love them. Fantasy is my favorite fiction genre. I often wonder if other atheist enjoy fantasy as much as I do. Lately, I have been switching between nonfiction (mostly the big names in atheist authors) and my fantasy novels. Just bought The Origin of Species on ebook which I hadn't read in more than a decade. One fantasy series I really enjoyed was Michael Sullivan's Riyria Revelations. Talk about a world where the church is the ultumate authority and is totally full of shit!!! Great series! Anybody else love fantasy? Hate me for loving it?

I have enjoyed the works of J.R.R. Tolkien and Orson Scott Card (many of whose books could be labeled fantasy). But I've never gone much farther into that genre. Most of my non-fiction reading is more mainstream literary stuff (Joyce, Faulkner, Pynchon -- that sort of thing).

I'm currently reading Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino, which is fantasy of a sort.
24-01-2015, 08:57 PM
Joseph Heller - Catch 22.

I've never identified with a fictional character as much as I do with Yossarian...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
28-01-2015, 07:12 AM
Lucifers Hammer
Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
28-01-2015, 06:07 PM
(07-01-2015 04:03 PM)Harvey Wrote:   
Right now I'm reading Lawrence Wright's excellent book "Going Clear. Scientology, Hollywood & the Prison of Belief ". Can recommend warmly.

I cannot wait to see the documentary they've done on this. Heard it really shocked at Sundance. Maybe I'll read the book first. Thanks for the reco!

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
04-02-2015, 01:11 PM
Finally reading Dune by Frank Herbert. I'm a little more than half of the way through and it's quickly becoming one of my all-time favorite sci-fi reads!

"The truth must dazzle gradually / or every man be blind." Emily Dickinson
[+] 1 user Likes Virgo Supercluster's post