What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
04-02-2015, 01:25 PM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
(24-01-2015 08:57 PM)Sam Wrote:  Joseph Heller - Catch 22.

I've never identified with a fictional character as much as I do with Yossarian...

That's because you have flies in your eyes...

Wink

Also --- if you're reading an original (or older) copy (I have a second edition hardback) -- you might do some searching ----Playboy magazine published "The missing chapter" back in the 80's.... It's about "PT"....

Apparently it just got misplaced and didn't get published in the original book -- while it doesn't change the book in any real way - it's a fun chapter -- especially for former servicemembers who will look at it with "fondness"...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2015, 09:13 PM
(04-02-2015 01:25 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(24-01-2015 08:57 PM)Sam Wrote:  Joseph Heller - Catch 22.

I've never identified with a fictional character as much as I do with Yossarian...

That's because you have flies in your eyes...

Wink

Also --- if you're reading an original (or older) copy (I have a second edition hardback) -- you might do some searching ----Playboy magazine published "The missing chapter" back in the 80's.... It's about "PT"....

Apparently it just got misplaced and didn't get published in the original book -- while it doesn't change the book in any real way - it's a fun chapter -- especially for former servicemembers who will look at it with "fondness"...

Any idea where I can find some crabapples and horse chestnuts?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
09-02-2015, 09:08 PM
Just finished re-reading Ursula K. Le Guin's "The Dispossessed" for the third time (but first in many years). Contrary to some of the dumber critics on Amazon, this is not a screed, but an entertaining intellectual exercise that attempts to look at how anarchism might work in the real world, for good or ill, and compares it with other systems.

As truly disgusted as I have become about the state of government in the United States, it inspired me to learn more about anarchism.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
09-02-2015, 09:11 PM
(23-01-2015 09:02 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Most of my non-fiction reading is more mainstream literary stuff (Joyce, Faulkner, Pynchon -- that sort of thing).

I'm currently reading Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino, which is fantasy of a sort.

Faulkner is my favorite literary writer, bar none. And once I put my mind to it, I loved "Ulysses." Likewise for "Gravity's Rainbow." Have only read short stories by Calvino, but again, I like his work.

All that said, I am bemused that you consider those four literary horsemen to be "mainstream"! Challenging, yeah, but mainstream?

Good choices.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
09-02-2015, 09:16 PM
(02-10-2014 07:56 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Now normally, I could not give a shit about anything even remotely Western.

"Lonesome Dove" by Larry McMurtry is incredible. Of all the people I've given it to, most said they "didn't like Westerns." Only two didn't love this novel.

09-02-2015, 09:18 PM
(14-07-2014 04:41 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Just finished Rendezvous With Rama.
Ole Mr. Clarke could write em.

His best, perhaps?

[+] 1 user Likes claywise's post
09-02-2015, 09:26 PM
(22-06-2014 03:15 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Just finished up Dan Simmons' Endymion and I liked it very much. True, it was no Hyperion or Fall of Hyperion

Too bad Simmons went 'round the bend into right-wing crankery.

10-02-2015, 09:33 AM
(09-02-2015 09:11 PM)claywise Wrote:  
(23-01-2015 09:02 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Most of my non-fiction reading is more mainstream literary stuff (Joyce, Faulkner, Pynchon -- that sort of thing).

I'm currently reading Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino, which is fantasy of a sort.

Faulkner is my favorite literary writer, bar none. And once I put my mind to it, I loved "Ulysses." Likewise for "Gravity's Rainbow." Have only read short stories by Calvino, but again, I like his work.

All that said, I am bemused that you consider those four literary horsemen to be "mainstream"! Challenging, yeah, but mainstream?

Good choices.

They are mainstream compared to the sci-fi/fantasy and graphic novels that dominate this section of the forum. For what it's worth, in my high school days (long ago) I was also in love with Steinbeck and Hemingway (more mainstream in the conventional sense), and I still do like their stuff, although Faulkner is better.
10-02-2015, 09:55 AM
(10-02-2015 09:33 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  They are mainstream compared to the sci-fi/fantasy and graphic novels that dominate this section of the forum. For what it's worth, in my high school days (long ago) I was also in love with Steinbeck and Hemingway (more mainstream in the conventional sense), and I still do like their stuff, although Faulkner is better.

Faulkner is incredible. I was a Hemingway fan in high school; these days I find him to be almost a genius at the short-story level, but not as good at novel length. Steinbeck is more prosaic and literal, but I like much of his work, too.

10-02-2015, 10:37 AM
(09-02-2015 09:18 PM)claywise Wrote:  
(14-07-2014 04:41 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Just finished Rendezvous With Rama.
Ole Mr. Clarke could write em.

His best, perhaps?

Return to Rama wasn't bad either...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.