What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
19-02-2015, 06:34 PM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
(15-02-2015 02:45 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Reading Fluent Forever: How to Learn Any Language Fast and Never Forget It. I pick up a new language book every so often, as language learning techniques adapt with changing technology. I highly recommend this and Fluent in 3 Months for anyone interested in learning languages.

Uhm I'm always sceptical when I see the words learn, language and fast in the same sentence, but the reviews are overwhelmingly positive, so I think I'll keep this title in mind.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-02-2015, 08:24 PM
(19-02-2015 06:34 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(15-02-2015 02:45 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Reading Fluent Forever: How to Learn Any Language Fast and Never Forget It. I pick up a new language book every so often, as language learning techniques adapt with changing technology. I highly recommend this and Fluent in 3 Months for anyone interested in learning languages.

Uhm I'm always sceptical when I see the words learn, language and fast in the same sentence, but the reviews are overwhelmingly positive, so I think I'll keep this title in mind.

I find that books about language learning theory tend to be useful, even if their titles are a bit exaggerated, while courses on specific languages with similar claims tend to be complete bullshit. A resources is a resource, and its all about your study habits and learning methodology.

The Fluent in 3 Months book I mentioned uses the term "fluent" pretty flexibly, essentially making the case that there is no such thing as perfection in a language (you can always learn something else, even in your native language), and fluently basically just means your target goal. The 3 month claim is when that target goal is to go from zero to having a general conversation (above tourist level, but not quite ready to discuss complex subjects). This is certainly possible, especially if you've got some solid study habits and a language or two under your belt already.

'Murican Canadian
20-02-2015, 04:02 AM
Yes, in that case then we agree. I once saw "Chinese in a month" or something of that sort and being a student of Chinese, it made me smile. There is no way you can learn Chinese in a single month. Even just thinking about the amount of characters you need to know (write/read). It takes time to build that up.

However, for the first book I've seen that many reviews mention how it helped them with how to approach a language and I can use any advice to improve my learning. Big Grin

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
21-02-2015, 02:19 PM
Tempted to read ''Gone Girl'', as many say the book was sensational. If it's anything like the movie, though...yuck. I hated the movie.

Be true to yourself. Heart
21-02-2015, 04:17 PM
Did Mohammed Exist by Robert Spencer.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
22-02-2015, 07:34 AM
Silverfin. I'm listening to it on audiobook and I am having a decidedly better experience than I did when I read it years ago. It's great. I have the first three Young Bond Novels on audiobooks and due to my increased alone time during the weekend, I am powering through them.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
24-02-2015, 12:03 PM
The philosopgy gym by Stephen Law.
24-02-2015, 01:42 PM
(24-02-2015 12:03 PM)Helio Wrote:  The philosopgy gym by Stephen Law.

How is that book?

I'm about halfway through Believing Bullshit, also by him. I'm a little disappointed that his focusing primarily on religion, and not giving more attention to other irrational beliefs which are deserving of closer scrutiny.
24-02-2015, 03:10 PM
Re-reading "Gravity's Rainbow," this time with the "Gravity's Rainbow Companion" by my side.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
24-02-2015, 03:30 PM
(24-02-2015 03:10 PM)claywise Wrote:  Re-reading "Gravity's Rainbow," this time with the "Gravity's Rainbow Companion" by my side.

Have fun! I've read that twice. First time I found it immensely enjoyable, but didn't understand half of it. Second time (15-20 years later), I enjoyed it even more and understood it better, but I'm sure I still missed a lot. I haven't seen the "Companion" -- may have to take a look at that one of these days.