What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
05-02-2011, 10:23 AM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
I'm reading James Joyce's A Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man and it's chilling in its description of a young Irish boy's upbringing in a Jesuit school. Absolutely heart-wrenching at times. Reading this for a post-colonial Irish Literature class.

Also reading Greg Graffin's Anarchy Evolution: Faith, Science, and Bad Religion in a World Without God. It's part autobiography, part Greg's (or Professor Graffin, if you prefer Tongue) musings on evolution and punk rock. I'm most of the way through it, and it's pretty good. The first autobiography that I've come across that actually cites its sources and includes endnotes Tongue

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2011, 11:51 AM
(04-02-2011 06:54 PM)No J. Wrote:  I am currently reading a thread on The Thinking Atheist forum that is called, "What are you currently reading?" Tongue

Actually, while you were writing that message you were probably reading it too, so the proper sentence would have been ''I am currently reading what I'm writing.''

I finally got The Extended Phenotype back from my brother (he has read The Selfish Gene and The God Delusion from Dawkins too), but I'll have to reread a couple of chapters because it's been so much time since I read them that I don't remember much about them.
Since Dawkins has taken notice of the non-biologist readers by adding a glossary in the end, it's not a tough read and even if some sentences have to be read many times before fully understood, it's completely worth the effort.
Dawkins considers the Extended Phenotype to be his principal contribution to evolutionary theory.
[Image: BMImg_30744_30744_Dawkins_extend_web.jpg]
Not sure what I'll be reading after this. I'll be checkign the recommendations from this forum.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
10-02-2011, 07:24 PM

Thing of Beauty: The Tragedy of Supermodel Gia by Stephen Fried
Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2011, 07:57 PM

(05-02-2011 10:23 AM)SecularStudent Wrote:  The first autobiography that I've come across that actually cites its sources and includes endnotes Tongue

A.N. Wilson is good for citing references in his biographies. Take a look at God's Funeral: The Decline of Faith in Western Civilization. Very well written, and adequately sourced. I especially enjoyed the section on Thomas Carlyle.
23-02-2011, 09:09 AM

Twilight of the Idols and The Anti-Christ By Friedrich Nietzsche. Trying to decide between reading Herbert's Dune and Blue War by Jeffrey Thomas for the millionth time each.
24-02-2011, 10:03 PM

I'm currently reading/ just finished
-'1984' by George Orwell (a book my dad recommended to me)
-'The Sight' by David Clement-Davies (for English class)
-Just finished 'Mockingjay' from the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins
-And I finished the last book from the Shadow Children series 'Among the Free' by Margaret Peterson Haddix.

Nothing really special ^^"
25-02-2011, 01:39 AM
I've been reading Baseball - A History Of America's Favorite Game by George Vecsey. Very good look at the game of baseball.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-03-2011, 09:49 PM

The Greatest Show on Earth- Richard Dawkins. Loving it so far.
02-03-2011, 02:12 PM

I have a list:
Re-reading "God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything" by Christopher Hitchens
Dean Koontz's 4th installment in his Frankenstein series entitled "Lost Souls"
"The Shadow of the 'Xel Naga" (it's a Starcraft book)
the yellow pages... wait... what?
02-03-2011, 03:26 PM

I'm picking up Shutter Island at the library today.