What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
24-02-2015, 03:44 PM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
(24-02-2015 03:30 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I haven't seen the "Companion" -- may have to take a look at that one of these days.

Years ago, to alleviate my "Ulysses envy"—seemed most of my educated friends had read Joyce's tome—I decided to read it myself. But I deliberately read no more than 10 pages at a time, and with an excellent concordance. As it turned out, I read the final 140 pages in one exhausting sitting ... evidence, I think, that my plan worked.

Ditto for GR. I did read it years ago, picking it up and putting it down before getting through it. IMO, it's harder than "Ulysses." I've always wanted to understand it better, so this time I decided to apply the same rules—small bites, concordance.

"The Gravity's Rainbow Companion" makes it much more fun, for me.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2015, 04:06 PM
I'm reading "The Sumerians, Their History, Culture, and Character" by Samuel Kramer. This is ground zero for the world's religions.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
24-02-2015, 06:43 PM
Just finished Nutty Bible Quotes while waiting for Sacred Cows to come out.
http://www.amazon.com/Nutty-Bible-Quotes...554011_f_1

http://www.nuttybible.com/
27-02-2015, 12:15 PM
(24-02-2015 01:42 PM)ScatteredThoughts Wrote:  
(24-02-2015 12:03 PM)Helio Wrote:  The philosopgy gym by Stephen Law.

How is that book?

I'm about halfway through Believing Bullshit, also by him. I'm a little disappointed that his focusing primarily on religion, and not giving more attention to other irrational beliefs which are deserving of closer scrutiny.

It runs through philosophical chestnuts (Moral to create superbabies, is it moral to eat meat, should we take creationism seriously) - lot of interesting thought experiments.
27-02-2015, 12:18 PM
Forgot to say, now I'm reading The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter, cause I thought mixing up some literature is a positive thing. Consider
03-03-2015, 12:43 AM
I don't usually read books anymore but I enjoy listening to audio books allot. The current one is Reality Check by Donald Prothero. He lays detailed histories and arguments against many of the common science deniers.
The one I would recommend if your into supernatural stories is Johannes Cabal the Necromancer. The main character sells the whole book. He is intelligent and is quick to castigate anyone or anything he deems irritating which is everything. The story is he wants his soul back he traded to learn necromancy and has to win a wager with the devil in order to do so. Its fun and mixes supernatural elements with witty banter and a great main character that grabs you from the beginning
04-03-2015, 07:46 AM
Picked up a few new ones. Anxious to dig into them.

Israeli Security Concepts: A Comprehensive Guide For Selecting Training And Deploying A Security Team For Installation And Personnel Protection
[Image: 51YvREov6tL._SY400_.jpg]

The Fighting Tomahawk: An Illustrated Guide to Using the Tomahawk and Long Knife as Weapons
[Image: 51Xs7O4UedL._SY400_.jpg]

Russian Learners' Dictionary: 10,000 Russian Words in Frequency Order
[Image: 41w2NSZdioL._SL500_.jpg]

'Murican Canadian
09-03-2015, 09:20 AM
Reading "god is Not great" by Hitchens. Previously read "A Universe from Nothing" and "The God Delusion", both excellent reads. I'm not sure what's next on my reading list, maybe "Level Zero Hero's" or hopefully George R.R. Martin will get off his ass and finish book 6 of the A Song of Ice and Fire series (that's Game of Thrones if you didn't know).

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

-Carl Sagan
09-03-2015, 10:44 AM
Just started it ...
[Image: Death_in_the_City_of_Light.jpg]
Always heard about this but was never able to flesh it out. Found out in the preface that the majority of information was only recently de-classified. Pretty ghoulish but so far, it reads quite well... I kind of can't put it down. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
09-03-2015, 04:24 PM
Just finished the third book in the James Herriot series. Trying to decide if I should pick up where I left off in A Dance With Dragons or move on to the fourth Herriot book. Consider

While debating that, I watched a half dozen episodes of MASH last night. [/align]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF