What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
20-04-2015, 06:06 PM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
I'm back to reading Consciousness Explained, Daniel C. Dennett after detour to read Intuition Pumps and Other Tools for Thinking, Daniel C. Dennett.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2015, 11:14 PM
Catch-22. I've tried to read it several times starting in college, but it always annoyed the shit out of me. But being a writer, I've always felt like I should cast a wide net for classics, and then recently a dear friend of mine, who is also a writer, mailed me a 25th Ann. edition, after spending a year or so singing the book's praises to this unappreciative audience member.

In essence, Rob guilted me into reading it.

It's okay, he's a bud and can throw that sort of weight around. It's not as bad as I remember it. It's still bloody disjointed, lurching from one angle to another, but that's not always a bad thing, and in some spots Heller really pounds the nail home, like he's crucifying his own nightmares.
Find all posts by this user
20-04-2015, 11:54 PM
I just finished a memoir by Michael Caine, The Elephant to Hollywood.

Very chatty and infomative, he seems to really enjoy his wonderful life. He really knows about acting too, and speaks about it in a very non-fussy way. I think he'd be wonderful to meet. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
24-04-2015, 04:49 PM
Just started The Greatest Show on Earth. A conversation with the dad yesterday about evolution and the age of the earth pushed me into finally diving into evolution so I can stop taking for granted that it's true.
[+] 1 user Likes Dex's post
24-04-2015, 06:30 PM
You Are Now Less Dumb: How to Conquer Mob Mentality, How to Buy Happiness, and All the Other Ways to Outsmart Yourself by David McRaney

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
25-04-2015, 09:24 AM
Just finished reading The Soul Fallacy by Julian Musolino. Great book--highly recommend.
25-04-2015, 11:12 AM
Life in Polish People Republic - ┼╗ycie w PRL - by Iwona Kienzler. Interesting book about life behind Iron Curtain, containing many anecdotes nad jockes from time past.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
09-05-2015, 12:44 PM
American Gods.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
09-05-2015, 01:11 PM
Currently reading The House of the Dead by Dostoevsky. I kind of started an atheist book club with Szuchow and pablo. We're nerds Tongue If anyone wants to read with us book club style-- let me know.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
10-05-2015, 02:16 AM
"Bloodlands" by Timothy Snyder and "The House of the Dead" by Fiodor Dostoyevsky. Both are excellent read.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.