RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
A Canticle for Leibowitz
-Walter M. Miller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
14-05-2015, 07:21 AM
"Unweaving the Rainbow. Science, Delusion and the Apetite for Wonder" by Richard Dawkins.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
14-05-2015, 07:51 AM
Altered Carbon - Richard Morgan

It has yet to address the problem of continuity. If your brain is copied and transmitted to another planet, it's only going to be "you" to outside observers. The copy will have the memory of your decision (or occasionally lack of choice) to make the trip, but somewhere, the original will either continue their existence where the copy took place, or, be destroyed and cease to exist. Your self-conscious continuity only exists in that first body, you aren't travelling with it... The author has either completely missed this fairly obvious problem, or is going to unveil some form of it as the story progresses. I really hope it isn't supposed to be some big, chilling revelation.

The same problem exists in movies like Transcendence. The original dies, ending their conscious continuity. The copy takes over, with an illusory sense of existence prior to that...

The only way I've ever seen as a suitable solution for transferring consciousness while retaining continuity, is through gradual replacement. Each cells function would need to be copied near perfectly, or at least those governing thought. Perhaps nanobots that could replace each cells job, and break the cell apart to help build the next nanobot. Slowly, you would become a potentially immortal copy of yourself while retaining continuity.
14-05-2015, 09:13 AM
The Stand-Stephen King

[Image: 5920829_orig.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Kitty Galore's post
14-05-2015, 09:51 AM
(14-05-2015 09:13 AM)Kitty Galore Wrote:  The Stand-Stephen King

The edited or unabridged???

Re-read it last year for the 3rd or 4th time...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
14-05-2015, 09:56 AM
The unabridged Stand is the only one I've read. One of my favorite books.

I've just started on filling a glaring hole in my reading -- first time reading The Trial from Kafka.
14-05-2015, 10:54 AM
(14-05-2015 09:56 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  The unabridged Stand is the only one I've read. One of my favorite books.

I've just started on filling a glaring hole in my reading -- first time reading The Trial from Kafka.

The edited version is good too -- but does lack a bit of color....

It's one of King's "preachier" books -- a bit too much "gawd" in it - but it still a fun read...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
14-05-2015, 12:19 PM
Oh, I don't mind the religious themes in it. I think he handles them well.
14-05-2015, 01:25 PM
I just started reading Quo Vadis. The pro-christian bilge is so thick that I'm not sure I'll make it through.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
14-05-2015, 01:49 PM
(14-05-2015 01:25 PM)unfogged Wrote:  I just started reading Quo Vadis. The pro-christian bilge is so thick that I'm not sure I'll make it through.

It shouldn't be surprising when even title alludes to christianity. Also Sienkiewicz wrote to uplifts the hearts, and through his apology of christianity or christian spiritualism in "Quo Vadis" he tried to criticize materialism.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.