What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
27-06-2015, 04:29 PM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
Welp, I finished "Something Happened" finally. It was uh.... eh. I've read other books "about nothing" that I quite enjoyed and I got through the first 3/4ths or so of the book pretty fast but at the last it just started to grate. He kept talking about the same shit over and over. And then finally something big happens at the end and well, there wasn't that big of a payoff. An event happened in his life to shake him up and he seems to appreciate his life more by the end, but it just felt cheap. Like, a cheap payoff.

On to "The Rise of Endymion" by Dan Simmons. Hobo

ETA: Oh, oh, oh. You know what? The end of the book... I'll tell you what it was like. He always talks about the girls he's slept with who promise they'll do things to him that no other woman ever has, and it turns out, they don't do anything different than what any other girl has done to him. That's what the ending felt like.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Escape Artist's post
27-06-2015, 05:13 PM
Where the Wild Things Were: Life, Death and Ecological Wreckage in a Land of Vanishing Predators - William Stolzenburg

Finished The Sixth Extinction - well written, fast paced and enlightening.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
28-06-2015, 02:16 PM
The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
28-06-2015, 03:15 PM
The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson.
It's very good.
Looking into a mirror now and then, is a good thing. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
13-07-2015, 04:11 AM
Doolittle's Tokyo Raiders by Carroll V Glines Lt Col USAF. - a pretty well written factual account of the USA's first offensive attack on Japan during WWII.

Written in an engrossing fashion unlike many factual accounts of war. The author had very good sources - frequently the players themselves - in first person interview - and with access to all of the military records.

With all that could have gone wrong - it's truly amazing that they pulled off the raid in such spectacular fashion.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
14-07-2015, 09:56 AM
Last month I read a couple of books for fun - "The Kite Runner" and "Slaughterhouse-5". I am currently reading "The Latehomecomer" by Kao Kalia Yang. After "The Latehomecomer" I want to get into H.G. Wells. I am also reading "The God Delusion" and "A History of God" by Karen Armstrong during my evenings, which is supplemented with the bible (Kindle's free KSV).
[+] 1 user Likes HappyTiger's post
15-07-2015, 01:31 AM
Pogrom on the next Tuesday by Marcin Wroński.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
17-07-2015, 03:00 PM
The Complete Peanuts 1953 to 1954 - Charles M Schulz

Some of the best philosophy ever written -IMO

[Image: jul042903.jpg]

"I love the term magic realism. It's about expanding how you see the world. I think we live in an age where we're just hammered to think this is what the world is. Everything's saying 'That's the world.' And it's not the world. The world is a million possible things." - TG

Salman Rushdie talks to Terry Gilliam
17-07-2015, 03:02 PM
I need to read Harper Lee's new (old) book. Too busy to go get a copy.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
17-07-2015, 03:04 PM
(17-07-2015 03:02 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I need to read Harper Lee's new (old) book. Too busy to go get a copy.

I read the first chapter online. Could be interesting.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense