What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
17-07-2015, 03:22 PM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
(17-07-2015 03:04 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(17-07-2015 03:02 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I need to read Harper Lee's new (old) book. Too busy to go get a copy.

I read the first chapter online. Could be interesting.

The comments I've heard were pretty stupid. Like why isn't the father (lawyer) figure as perfect as he was in "To Kill A Mocking Bird" ... *as if* people are supposed to be born perfect.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2015, 01:13 AM
Non cogito ergo sum. Arheologija neke šale by Božidar Jezernik - interesting thing about Yugoslavian concentration camps.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
18-07-2015, 01:47 AM
Like mentioned above though by others, I am reading Harper Lee's Go Set A Watchman.

It's made me began to see this thread as type-inable but I am always bothered by this thread, like many people before, want to make fun of the title Though what I am currently reading isn't this thread... it's the words I am typing and adding into this thread. Take that thread namer!

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
20-07-2015, 12:45 AM
The Believing Brain: From Ghosts and Gods to Politics and Conspiracies---How We Construct Beliefs and Reinforce Them as Truths by Michael Shermer.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
20-07-2015, 05:40 PM (This post was last modified: 22-07-2015 08:29 AM by Bucky Ball.)
"The Really Big One" ... an amazing long piece in this week's New Yorker about earthquakes, and the West Coast. You think the San Andreas Fault is where it will happen ? Nope. On the Ring of Fire, the Cascadia subduction zone (up North further) is where the REALLY big one will happen. Most of the big earthquakes around the Ring are 9.0+. FEMA says when it happens 13,000 people will die, and "everything West of the 5 'will be toast' " (from the tsunami). The most interesting thing I've read in a long time.

I hear that The Atlantic had a stupid article about NDE's last month where this idiot talks about "materialism" constantly. Gotta read that.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
22-07-2015, 08:26 AM
I just finished Fifty Shades Darker today *waits for the rotten food to hit* Tongue
22-07-2015, 08:47 AM
God's Problem: How the Bible Fails to Answer Our Most Important Question--Why We Suffer by Bart Ehrman.

Mikhail Bakunin.
22-07-2015, 12:42 PM
I have several reading projects going, as usual:

1. Slowly but surely working my way through Tom Apostol's Calculus, Volume I. I started this book back in the early 1980s. I'm now up to about the middle of Chapter 10 (of 16). I work in fits and starts (I once went over 10 years without looking at the book), and I'm doing all of the problems, and some of them are damn hard! I almost certainly won't live another 35 years, so I better speed up.

2. Reading through the King James Bible with unfogged and Full Circle, and following along at home in my Norton Critical Edition of The English Bible.

3. The Chess Games of Bobby Fischer. There have been dozens (if not hundreds) of books written about Fischer. This is one of the few written by Fischer himself. It is an early collection of annotated games, written when he was still a teenager.

4. The Portable Milton. Reading through the shorter poems and prose pieces, steeling myself for Paradise Lost. The thought of trying to read a difficult poem that goes on for hundreds of pages has always daunted me, but every time I look at an excerpt from it, I think "This is great stuff! I really have to read the whole thing someday."
22-07-2015, 03:56 PM
The Lost Stars: Tarnished Knight
by Jack Campbell

Unlike every book I've read of his so far, this one isn't about Fleet Admiral "Black Jack" Geary, and the Alliance Fleet, but about some 'Syndics'!

Story is about a couple of former Syndicate World's CEOs fighting to gain, and maintain, their autonomy from the Syndicate World's Central Authority, after Black Jack destroyed the Syndic's Mobile Forces! Trying to establish Midway as an Independent Star System!

Feels almost like a spy novel, though! Like former Soviet officials -vs- the remnants of the KGB in a battle for power, if such a thing had happened anywhere. All set 50,000 years, or so, into the future!

Love these books! Heart

23-07-2015, 07:02 AM
(20-07-2015 05:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  "The Really Big One" ... an amazing long piece in this week's New Yorker about earthquakes, and the West Coast. You think the San Andreas Fault is where it will happen ? Nope. On the Ring of Fire, the Cascadia subduction zone (up North further) is where the REALLY big one will happen. Most of the big earthquakes around the Ring are 9.0+. FEMA says when it happens 13,000 people will die, and "everything West of the 5 'will be toast' " (from the tsunami). The most interesting thing I've read in a long time.

The article is on-line! Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post