moral landscape by sam harris.....pretty good so far
Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2011, 06:21 PM

RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
Just finishing THIS:
[Image: 7937843.jpg]

And WOW its PHENOMENAL!

Here's a review:
In many ways, Jack is a typical 5-year-old. He likes to read books, watch TV, and play games with his Ma. But Jack is different in a big way--he has lived his entire life in a single room, sharing the tiny space with only his mother and an unnerving nighttime visitor known as Old Nick. For Jack, Room is the only world he knows, but for Ma, it is a prison in which she has tried to craft a normal life for her son. When their insular world suddenly expands beyond the confines of their four walls, the consequences are piercing and extraordinary. Despite its profoundly disturbing premise, Emma Donoghue's Room is rife with moments of hope and beauty, and the dogged determination to live, even in the most desolate circumstances. A stunning and original novel of survival in captivity, readers who enter Room will leave staggered, as though, like Jack, they are seeing the world for the very first time. --Lynette Mong
12-03-2011, 11:43 AM
I don't read any fictional books, I used to, but now I just read books that are mostly facts and about reality. Like Science, and politics, most of the time I'm more of a visual learner, so I just watch science on discovery world hd, and national geographic, and youtube. Wished I have the science channel..

"don't jump to conclusions until your 99%"

"dreams are the best source of creativity" me
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2011, 06:33 AM

About to finish re-reading Hitch's God is not Great.

Will be re-reading Martin's A Game of Thrones in preparation for the series on HBO which premieres on April 17th.

After that, a re-read of Tim Wise's White Like Me, then Dawkins' The God Delusion, and finally, for a book I haven't yet read, Baldwin's The Price of the Ticket which I am eagerly anticipating.
17-03-2011, 08:26 PM
I finished the "God is Not Great" a little while ago, but today I picked up a few books from a borders that was going out of business. So I'm starting "The Moral Landscape" by Sam Harris and "Death By Black Hole" by Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-04-2011, 04:32 PM
I'm currently reading "Life, The Universe and Everything" from The Hitchhiker's Trilogy of Four. It's an amazing series and I can't believe I haven't read it before now. I highly recommend it to everybody ^.^

I also started reading A History of God by Karen Armstrong, but I'm much more distracted by Adams' book, so I'll probably return to it some other time.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
11-04-2011, 02:02 PM

(07-04-2011 04:32 PM)SecularStudent Wrote:  I'm currently reading "Life, The Universe and Everything" from The Hitchhiker's Trilogy of Four. It's an amazing series and I can't believe I haven't read it before now. I highly recommend it to everybody ^.^

I also started reading A History of God by Karen Armstrong, but I'm much more distracted by Adams' book, so I'll probably return to it some other time.

It's actually a trilogy of five or six if you count the most recent one (not written by Adams) which I didn't read.
12-04-2011, 10:03 AM
I'm reading When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops by George Carlin at the moment.

I normally read scifi so this is something different.
14-04-2011, 02:20 PM
I am starting Fear and Trembling by Soren Kierkegaard. I'm going to be writing a paper on it and can already tell you that I will be rending Kierkegaard limb from limb. Teleological suspension of the ethical my ass.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
14-04-2011, 07:01 PM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2011 07:05 PM by SecularStudent.)
(11-04-2011 02:02 PM)Dregs Wrote:  
(07-04-2011 04:32 PM)SecularStudent Wrote:  I'm currently reading "Life, The Universe and Everything" from The Hitchhiker's Trilogy of Four. It's an amazing series and I can't believe I haven't read it before now. I highly recommend it to everybody ^.^

It's actually a trilogy of five or six if you count the most recent one (not written by Adams) which I didn't read.

Oh really?! That's great! I just finished up the fourth one, so I'll search for the fifth one. The edition I have must be an old one then, 'cause it only has books 1-4 in it.
(17-03-2011 06:33 AM)SANSD8TY Wrote:  Will be re-reading Martin's A Game of Thrones in preparation for the series on HBO which premieres on April 17th.

Greatest fantasy series I've ever read! I'm mad that it's been so long since his latest though >.< But I'm psyched for the tv series! SO glad they're not being made into movies Big Grin

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula