What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
23-07-2015, 10:41 AM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
(23-07-2015 07:02 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-07-2015 05:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  "The Really Big One" ... an amazing long piece in this week's New Yorker about earthquakes, and the West Coast. You think the San Andreas Fault is where it will happen ? Nope. On the Ring of Fire, the Cascadia subduction zone (up North further) is where the REALLY big one will happen. Most of the big earthquakes around the Ring are 9.0+. FEMA says when it happens 13,000 people will die, and "everything West of the 5 'will be toast' " (from the tsunami). The most interesting thing I've read in a long time.

The article is on-line! Yes

Yup. I'm packing a large earthquake emergency kit this week.

Now onto the flow of this thread.

I'm reading:

Hedy's Folly: The Life and Breakthrough Inventions of Hedy Lamarr, the Most Beautiful Woman in the World....... by Richard Rhodes

She was a very creative, smart lady. And damn, she was stunningly beautiful. Good excuse to post a photo of her.

[Image: hedy%20lamarr.jpg]

And thank you Hedy, I'm using my cell phone to call my daughter after I post this. It wouldn't work very well without your brains.Yes

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
26-07-2015, 05:45 PM
Just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes TurkeyBurner's post
27-07-2015, 01:14 PM
I am reading the Harry Potter books, along with the Fanfiction called Harry Potter and the Price of Being Noble.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
27-07-2015, 01:24 PM
Lost by Sharon Bolton.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
27-07-2015, 03:28 PM
I just finished Escape from Camp 14 by Blaine Harden. Not a nice story but well worth a read.

I was reading The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham but mashed the Blaine Harden book in as I borrowed it from my dad. So now I'm still on The Day of the Triffids (it's my toilet book)

Technically I'm also reading Notes from Underground by Dostoevsky but that I haven't touched for a while so I might have to start over once I get back to it.

Oh and I'm waiting to buy the next books in the Diskworld series and the next of the Earthsea books.

Oh and naturally my dad had another book for me to borrow too:

Entrissen: Der Tag, als die DDR mir meine Mutter nahm by Katrin Behr, Peter Hartl. Well the Danish translation.

I wish i could actually focus a bit better so I could read more.
27-07-2015, 08:07 PM
Influence Science and Practice by Robert B. Cialdini. An interesting read

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
27-07-2015, 08:56 PM
(27-07-2015 08:07 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  Influence Science and Practice by Robert B. Cialdini. An interesting read

Gasp lightvader!!! Hug

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
01-08-2015, 08:57 AM
OH! I just heard Nick Tosches' new book is out and looky looky look ...

"UNDER TIBERIUS
A work of dangerous and haunting beauty by America's last real literary outlaw.

Under Tiberius is a thrilling story of crime and deceit involving the man who came to be called Jesus Christ. Deep in the recesses of the Vatican, Nick Tosches unearths a first-century memoir by Gaius Fulvius Falconius, foremost speechwriter for Emperor Tiberius. The codex is profound, proof of the existence of a Messiah who was anything but the one we've known -- a shabby and licentious thief.

After encountering him in the streets of Judea, Gaius becomes spin doctor to Jesus, and the pair schemes to accrue untold riches by convincing the masses that Jesus is the Son of God. As their marriage of truth and lies is consummated, friendship and wary respect develop between these two grifters.

Outrageous and disturbing, Under Tiberius is as black as the ravishing night, shot through with fierce and brilliant light."

According to Nick, the novel explores the responsibility of the construct of "evil". SWEET; I'm in. Thumbsup

I'ma look for it ... hope I can get it in audio! Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
01-08-2015, 09:13 AM
The Nazi and the Psychiatrist: Hermann Göring, Dr. Douglas M. Kelley, and a Fatal Meeting of Minds at the End of WWII by Jack El-Hai.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
05-08-2015, 12:10 PM
Cancer Ward by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.

Mikhail Bakunin.