What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
20-09-2015, 11:21 PM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
(19-09-2015 05:38 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  The Phantom Body of the King. Peripheral Struggles with a Modern Form by Jan Sowa.

You're a very interesting young man.

I checked out the book. Would you agree with this?

Sowa’s main point is the perception of East Central Europe’s inferiority in comparison with Western Europe. This subaltern feeling led to the constant orientation on Western political, social and cultural models implying a self-colonization of the region. This perceived need for constant adaption to external cultural and social patterns marks for the author also the difference to modernization strategies by the means of cultural transfers applied by states such as Japan or China.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2015, 01:39 AM
(20-09-2015 11:21 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(19-09-2015 05:38 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  The Phantom Body of the King. Peripheral Struggles with a Modern Form by Jan Sowa.

You're a very interesting young man.

I checked out the book. Would you agree with this?

Sowa’s main point is the perception of East Central Europe’s inferiority in comparison with Western Europe. This subaltern feeling led to the constant orientation on Western political, social and cultural models implying a self-colonization of the region. This perceived need for constant adaption to external cultural and social patterns marks for the author also the difference to modernization strategies by the means of cultural transfers applied by states such as Japan or China.

In short yes. But I think it's more about real inferiority rather than perceived one; feeling of inferiority was masked by ideologies like sarmatism, or notion of Poland being Christ of the nations.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
22-09-2015, 07:26 PM
God Is Not Great - Christopher Hitchens

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-09-2015, 10:15 PM
What Are You Currently Reading?
[Image: ec312044aebe526c4fa716ffc8c4afe3.jpg]

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
26-09-2015, 07:10 PM
Volume two (of four) of Journey to the West (1592), the revised 2012 translation.
30-09-2015, 07:30 AM
A Brief History of Time: Stephen Hawking

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
30-09-2015, 07:36 AM
Political Order and Political Decay by Francis Fukuyama

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
30-09-2015, 11:00 AM
With a heavy heart, curiosity has forced me to read, The Girl In The Spider's Web by David Lagercrantz.

Quote:Lagercrantz is a Swedish journalist & best-selling author of fiction & nonfiction. He was hand selected by the Larsson estate to write this standalone sequel based on Stieg Larsson's characters.

There are problematic issues with "the Larsson estate", in that the handlers had and have no clear understanding of his wishes, much less his writing style or even his characters.

I'm barely a few chapters in and it's reading like some mediocre fan fiction, almost pandering to whatever the author thinks will sell it.

My friends Lisbeth Salander and Mikael Blomkvist are out there somewhere, living their lives, doing their meticulous best to at least, save themselves if not the world. To bad they are fictitious. Had they been real, they might have helped their creator Stieg Larsson to live just a bit longer to enjoy their adventures with the rest of us.

I love my old friends but without Stieg Larsson, I feel they have been reduced from characters to caricatures. I will finish this book but I will no longer be curious.

Three will have to suffice.
Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
30-09-2015, 11:47 AM
I am re-reading two books that I read years ago. The first is Chris Mooney's, "The Republican Brain" and the second is Hemingway's, "Death in the Afternoon." I've found over the last couple of years that it is good to read things I've read before because I've forgotten so much.
01-10-2015, 11:06 AM
I read "The Republican Brain" when it was first published in 2012. I decided to read it again because I had a skull fracture five years ago and it has made me less smart than I once was and I don't retain information as well. I remembered the book as an exceptional read and as I tackle it for the second time, it's all coming back to me. The psychological information in the book applies equally to Republicans and to religious believers and, in fact, may be more applicable to religious folks than Republicans generally.

I recommend this book to all of you but especially those who have families of believers and who are afraid to come out as atheists. It may not help you expose yourselves to them but it will give you a pretty good understanding of why they are so rigid.

By the way, for those of you who are Republicans, the book is not a tirade against Republicans. I was a Republican for many years and I found it to be enlightening and not particularly insulting. [Then, Zeus came to me in a big ball of fire and told me to become a communist. Big Grin ]
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post