What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
04-01-2016, 11:05 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2016 11:16 AM by GenesisNemesis.)
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
Letters From a Stoic. There's a lot of god stuff and some other bullshit, but some useful stuff too.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2016, 12:20 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2016 12:28 PM by yakherder.)
I'm anxious to get started developing that little chunk of land I just bought, but it'll probably be a while. In the meantime, I've got some daydreaming to do...

[Image: 519fG%2B9sSML._SX390_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

[Image: 51oV6M5FR0L._SX375_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
04-01-2016, 10:40 PM
(03-01-2016 09:51 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Just finished God Emperor of Dune and I haz a sad. Sad Also I still say these books are too complex for me. Hobo Also, Siona is a bitch. Dodgy

ETA: corrected "stay" to "say" - evidently I was tired last night. Tongue

I love the Frank Herbert series of Dune. Complex? Yes, but he wanted it that way, threading the ecological and genetic into the stories. Of course, a lot of it doesn't wash, but masterful storytelling, nonetheless. "Bitch" works for both male and female here, though for men it is more appropriately labeled "macho".
04-01-2016, 11:01 PM
(04-01-2016 10:40 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(03-01-2016 09:51 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Just finished God Emperor of Dune and I haz a sad. Sad Also I still say these books are too complex for me. Hobo Also, Siona is a bitch. Dodgy

ETA: corrected "stay" to "say" - evidently I was tired last night. Tongue

I love the Frank Herbert series of Dune. Complex? Yes, but he wanted it that way, threading the ecological and genetic into the stories. Of course, a lot of it doesn't wash, but masterful storytelling, nonetheless. "Bitch" works for both male and female here, though for men it is more appropriately labeled "macho".

One of my biggest frustrations is how slowly I've read these. I feel like I need to really really concentrate to even slightly understand what is going on - everyone is talking in layer upon layer - nothing said is just what it is on the face of it. So that can make it difficult. I have enjoyed all of the books thus far (though they are a lot of times sad and tragic). My beef with this book was that
I apparently got too attached to Leto - I was sad that he died, and sad/angry that Siona was kind of a jerk, especially at the end. For one, her father had just fallen off a bridge to his death and she apparently doesn't give a rat's ass and while Leto is dying she is irritated because he isn't doing so fast enough. Also, I was angry when Duncan and Hwi slept together. Duncan is supposed to be all loyal to the Atreides and whatnot but he went against Leto's wishes and went ahead and saw Hwi. I dunno. I just got too attached to Leto and so didn't see him as the bad guy in this. I saw him as a parental figure trying to save humanity from its own damn self and humanity is just throwing a fit the whole time and doesn't appreciate his sacrifices. I still plan to finish out the series, though.

15-01-2016, 04:39 AM
The Opium of the Intellectuals by Raymond Aron.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
15-01-2016, 06:37 AM
In Praise of Blasphemy by Caroline Fourest

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
15-01-2016, 08:37 AM
future diaries....

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
15-01-2016, 08:46 AM
Flipping through the classic, "The Magic of Thinking Big" by David J. Schwartz. I read it every time I need a motivational kick in the ass or when I'm feeling down about a failure/obstacle or something along those lines.
15-01-2016, 03:27 PM
"A Buddhist Bible". Been getting interested in Buddhism lately. Probably won't become a Buddhist, but I'll study it a bit.

15-01-2016, 03:56 PM
Tom Clancy.....

(mindless, but fun)

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.