What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
27-12-2013, 08:34 PM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
After a long time of passive searching, I have finally found a copy of War and Peace, or rather two volumes of it.}

I've been reading it since I found the book and have been quite thoroughly enjoying it since; sitting part way into Book Two in the first volume currently, I believe and I highly recommend it in entirety.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2013, 09:37 PM
(27-12-2013 08:34 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  After a long time of passive searching, I have finally found a copy of War and Peace, or rather two volumes of it.}

I've been reading it since I found the book and have been quite thoroughly enjoying it since; sitting part way into Book Two in the first volume currently, I believe and I highly recommend it in entirety.

I got about half way through W&P a very long time ago before finally putting down. I was much younger then. Perhaps I'll give it another try. It wouldn't be the first time I've done that with a great book.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
28-12-2013, 12:06 AM
(27-12-2013 09:37 PM)Heathen Wrote:  
(27-12-2013 08:34 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  After a long time of passive searching, I have finally found a copy of War and Peace, or rather two volumes of it.}

I got about half way through W&P a very long time ago before finally putting down. I was much younger then. Perhaps I'll give it another try. It wouldn't be the first time I've done that with a great book.

Yes, do give it another shot; perhaps I am simply blinded somewhat from critical examination from having to look for 3-4 odd years to find the book to think of it properly.

My only complaints thus far is that the translator decided to leave the occasional phrase in French, which is tempting me to get Post-it notes and read through the book again entirely and stick notes on the pages so I can translate and understand the phrases.
And that, much like real life, I find that there are no really relatable characters to which I can connect to much. The only characters which come close are early Prince Andrei/Andrey and Pierre (insofar as I have read).

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
28-12-2013, 12:16 AM
Nothing unfortunatly. I am too busy with other stuff.

Last book I read was by Thomas Bernhard.

(22-05-2014 06:23 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I abstain from all forms of sexual acts.
28-12-2013, 03:28 AM
(28-12-2013 12:06 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(27-12-2013 09:37 PM)Heathen Wrote:  I got about half way through W&P a very long time ago before finally putting down. I was much younger then. Perhaps I'll give it another try. It wouldn't be the first time I've done that with a great book.

Yes, do give it another shot; perhaps I am simply blinded somewhat from critical examination from having to look for 3-4 odd years to find the book to think of it properly.

My only complaints thus far is that the translator decided to leave the occasional phrase in French, which is tempting me to get Post-it notes and read through the book again entirely and stick notes on the pages so I can translate and understand the phrases.
And that, much like real life, I find that there are no really relatable characters to which I can connect to much. The only characters which come close are early Prince Andrei/Andrey and Pierre (insofar as I have read).
I could not stand "War and Peace". Or, anything else from Tolstoy.

I've never been able to appreciate those Russian novelists.
12-01-2014, 02:39 PM
I just finished the Odyssey series by Arthur C. Clarke. It was good!
12-01-2014, 03:35 PM
Vilhelm Moberg's The Emigrants.

Be sure you have someone up your sleeve who will save you when you find yourself in deep shit. - James D. Watson
12-01-2014, 04:19 PM
Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy - the whole compendium. YAY! Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
12-01-2014, 04:33 PM
A Song of Ice and Fire.