What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
09-06-2014, 05:03 PM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
Found a nice new paper to read.

http://www.plosbiology.org/article/info%...io.1000564

Genomic DNA Sequences from Mastodon and Woolly Mammoth Reveal Deep Speciation of Forest and Savanna Elephants

[Image: hyena_icon_large_by_griffsnuff-d3juy9l.gif] All request for metazoa info and my larger projects should be sent PM
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
09-06-2014, 05:59 PM
Currently I find it difficult to read long works. As a result I am listening to audio books. Having read the classics and and loved them, I am now hearing them. Currently these are:

The charterhouse of Parma.

Decline and fall of the Roman empire.

The gay science.

Candide.

Aristophanes. All plays.

I choose a few chapters each day. These plus various podcasts keep me entertained. I read this forum because of the content and posts are easier to follow.

My reading comprehension is in the gutter at present. Funny to note I have already read the books I listen to. Visiting old friends, as it were.

And I ALWAYS have time for Voltaire. I love Voltaire. Smile

Recently suffered loss of intelligence. Had little to begin with! I should not miss it.
11-06-2014, 10:20 AM
I'm currently reading Noam Chomsky's Hegemony or Survival. A typical Chomsky book, loaded with damaging quotes and statistics… for his targets!
I was recently perusing Amazon for a couple of books and came across a review of one of Stenger's books:The New Atheism: Taking a Stand for Science and Reason which was written by a Catholic priest from Nebraska. I criticized his 2012 review of the book (without getting nasty) and he came back with a really angry retort. If you want to look at it, go to: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1591027...UTF8&psc=1
then scroll down to a block on the left titled "Customer Reviews" (which indicates how many reviews for each level - one star to five stars - the book has received). Click on the "1 star" link and look for the review entitled "Atheism Masquerading as Science", then, after reading the review, click on "Comments". It's been an interesting conversation.
15-06-2014, 06:58 AM
The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins and Last chance to see by Douglas Adams Smile

All great truths begin as blasphemy - George Bernard Shaw
[+] 1 user Likes Anna's post
15-06-2014, 07:32 AM
I am reading a thread on TTA forum called "what are you currently reading?"

KC IS A LIAR!!!! HE PROMISED ME VANILLA CAKES AND GAVE ME STRAWBERRY CAKE Weeping
[+] 1 user Likes Lightvader's post
16-06-2014, 07:15 PM
[Image: the-greatest-show-on-earth-by-dawkins.jpg]

Just finished a presentation on evolution by means of natural selection in class today. This was the book that inspired me to research more about evolution.

There is grandeur in this view of life - Charles Darwin

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
22-06-2014, 07:38 AM
Informal Logic: A Pragmatic Approach
it's the only book in this subject that is well written and has a great introduction

Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?
—Nietzsche, The Gay Science, Section 125
22-06-2014, 01:39 PM
[Image: 51QSF1SjIkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

[Image: MegahentaiSignature_zps7c4b73b2.jpg]
22-06-2014, 02:53 PM
Just discovered "Game of Thrones". I finished it last week, and am getting ready to start on "Clash of Kings".
22-06-2014, 03:15 PM
Just finished up Dan Simmons' Endymion and I liked it very much. True, it was no Hyperion or Fall of Hyperion but it was still good and I very much enjoyed getting to revisit the world Simmons' created. Will get to Rise of Endymion in due time, of course, but in the meantime...

...holy cheez-its I haz to finish up god is not Great by the erudite Mr. Hitchens. Hobo

Next up for fiction in the traditional novel category is Frank Herbert's Children of Dune. Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like Escape Artist's post