What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
07-10-2010, 12:19 PM

RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
Currently, I'm going though the best of Pratchett's Discworld as I just finished his newest book I Shall Wear Midnight. Any other Terry Pratchett fans or does he reign in more British fans then other?
Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Currently reading The Expedition of Humphry Clinker by Smollett for class, and trying to get through The Portable Atheist in my non-existent free time.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SecularStudent's post
11-10-2010, 06:37 PM
I just started John Irving's Last Night in Twisted River

This will be, I think, the 4th Irving book I've read. I'm a big fan and his books never disappoint. He tends to do a decent amount of religious imagery so some here may have an issue with him but I really enjoy his work. A Prayer for Owen Meany is one of my all time favorite books.

My all time favorite is Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet. I also really enjoyed Worlds Without End.

Follet's got a new book out that I'll pick up when I've some time. I need to finish the book I've got, though. Reading time is tough for me so it can take me some time to get through a book. I just work too much.

I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
11-10-2010, 07:01 PM
(06-10-2010 11:52 PM)Mindprowler Wrote:  Lord Of The Flies is a pretty cool read. Decent movie as well.
Which movie did you see? I saw the black and white film and it's honestly the worst film I've seen in my entire life (no exaggeration).

[Image: 4hs9p5.png]

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
-Stephen Colbert
13-10-2010, 03:20 PM

1) Tao Teh Ching by Lao Tzu. Insights on life, the universe and (almost) everything from the mind of a man who does not claim to know it all. I'm mainly reading it because it served as (Internet Infidel) Dr. Richard Carrier's philosophy until he decided he was an atheist. I wanted to see where he was coming from.

2) The 120 Days of Sodom by the Marquis DeSade. I probably shouldn't have mentioned this book but I have a tendency to explore the dark side of human desires.

3) From the Streets of Cleveland! American Splendor by Harvey Pekar and various illustrators. I identify with him because I am also a hum drum file clerk with minor adventures and a desire to express myself artistically.

4) Tartuffe by Moliere. Blind faith and royal scams conspire to bring a wealthy man to his knees... luckily this is a comedy so there is a happy ending.

5) Just a Pilgrim by Garth Ennis and Carlos Ezquerra. A happy romp through a post apocalyptic wasteland where a beseiged band of stragglers find... er, salvation at the hands of a rifle toting, Scripture spouting stranger with a shady past.

More to come because I can't stop reading...
15-10-2010, 09:01 AM
(07-10-2010 12:19 PM)violentpixi Wrote:  Currently, I'm going though the best of Pratchett's Discworld as I just finished his newest book I Shall Wear Midnight. Any other Terry Pratchett fans or does he reign in more British fans then other?

I'm an American, and Terry Pratchett is my all-time favorite author. I'm getting I Shall Wear Midnight as a birthday present, actually. Otherwise I would have read it already. Birthday's on Tuesday.

You can probably tell that I'm a Pratchett fan by looking at my sig.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
15-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Well I finished Lord of the Flies, so now my English class is reading 12 Angry Men.

[Image: 4hs9p5.png]

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
-Stephen Colbert
16-10-2010, 02:43 PM
12 Angry Men kicks ass.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MindprowlerMusic
18-10-2010, 05:50 PM

The Adventures of Tom Saywer, for fun believe it or not!
19-10-2010, 07:01 AM
(18-10-2010 05:50 PM)BethanyIsRuthie Wrote:  The Adventures of Tom Saywer, for fun believe it or not!

I read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn last year for fun myself. Twain/Clemens was an amazing writer and years ahead of his time.

I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.