What Are You Listening To?

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
16-06-2012, 07:55 PM
RE: What Are You Listening To?
(16-06-2012 04:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-06-2012 03:19 PM)TrulyX Wrote:  Really; Why?

Unless you're just saying that to be funny.
It's not very musical. And then there's the misogyny, the violence, ...
Wait. That's why I like Metal so much. I may have to give Rap a try! Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
16-06-2012, 08:11 PM
The rap thing... By and large, it isn't real music. It is a loosely-choreographed entertainment form, like professional wrestling. Does it take some skill to do well? Yes, but so does slalom skiing. That, too, is not music. Digital editing, copying others' music, programming a drum machine and talking semi-rhythmically isn't music.

Except Rage Against The Machine. Tom Morello is a fucking genius.
[+] 1 user Likes DannyW's post
16-06-2012, 09:01 PM
Bon Iver - Bon Iver, Bon Iver
Citizen Cope - Clarence Greenwood Recordings
Rebelution - Courage to Grow
Willie Nelson - Moment of Forever
G. Love - Lemonade
Grateful Dead - Europe '72 (this album is constantly being played)

"A man who dares waste an hour of his life has not discovered the value of life." - Charles Darwin
17-06-2012, 12:50 AM

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
17-06-2012, 01:00 AM

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
17-06-2012, 01:11 AM
It's been a Stones kinda day today:

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
17-06-2012, 01:28 AM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2012 01:41 AM by GirlyMan.)
(17-06-2012 01:00 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  

I'll see your "it's 2 AM and the fear is gone" and raise you "it's half past four and I'm shifting gears." [Image: steerinshiftin.gif]

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
17-06-2012, 04:54 AM
(17-06-2012 01:28 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-06-2012 01:00 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  

I'll see your "it's 2 AM and the fear is gone" and raise you "it's half past four and I'm shifting gears." [Image: steerinshiftin.gif]

call.

living word
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
17-06-2012, 01:29 PM
I got 3 libras.

living word
17-06-2012, 02:59 PM
(16-06-2012 04:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  It's not very musical. And then there's the misogyny, the violence, ...
(16-06-2012 08:11 PM)DannyW Wrote:  The rap thing... By and large, it isn't real music. It is a loosely-choreographed entertainment form, like professional wrestling. Does it take some skill to do well? Yes, but so does slalom skiing. That, too, is not music. Digital editing, copying others' music, programming a drum machine and talking semi-rhythmically isn't music.

Except Rage Against The Machine. Tom Morello is a fucking genius.

Yeah, it's not music, by a definition that's specifically devised to exclude it.

Apparently THIS wasn't musical enough for THESE guys to cover:

Or THESE guys (a rap group) weren't musical enough to get on THIS show:

I should say, the skill involved is higher than you think. The difference is that in other forms of music, it's easier to weed out and get rid of the bad i.e. If you can't sing and/or you don't know how to properly play an instrument, depending on which one (or both) you do, you aren't going to get past go. But, if you can't make beats and you can't rap, you still have a good, if not even better, chance at becoming a superstar. For example: Justin Bieber at least had to exhibit talent; the New Boyz, well they just let them in.

My point is for rap music (making beats/MCing) the threshold is just a lot lower than with singing or playing instruments. If you only look at how much skill and/or talent is required to be considered even doing what you are claiming to be doing (singing, rapping, playing, beatmaking, etc.), (e.g. how people who can't sing get laughed at and made fun of by our society for making that attempt, yet some rap artists and people attempting to rap aren't always judged accurately on that ability), I can see your point. But, if you look at how much skill and talent is needed to do it well, and to be great, then you will start to see that rap music is full of talent and skill that rivals and in some cases, surpasses that of other genres. Maybe the problem is that people ignore the technical skills and natural talents that are actually required, due to a lack of understanding of the quality of it?

"Digital editing, copying others' music, programming a drum machine and talking semi-rhythmically."
That comment is kind of completely missing the quality of every aspect that goes into hip-hop, regardless of whether or not you want to call rap a form of music. It might also show an ignorance of music in general, if not just a view rooted in pretentiousness.

The only excuse I accept for not liking rap music is the inability to relate to it. Rap music is born out of the culture of Hip-Hop and things of, or related to, that culture, and not so much out of music. So, there are tons of things that are specific to certain people familiar with, or part of, certain cultures that really aren't meant for those that don't understand or relate to those things. Things like DJing, sampling, MCing, inner city/street environment, etc, are all part of the content and substance of the music in a large way. The music that we call rap is a product of Hip-Hop culture which wasn't ever set out to form a new genre of music (and still exists separate from the music). Despite rap being taken over by pop, just like every previous genre, and the mainstream content now being geared almost exclusively toward selling records, rap that is true to the culture it came from is inside out i.e. here is my expression, my story, my way. It came from the individual, and wasn't specifically/exclusively for others to hear/see but just to put out the expression, and if others like it, fine. It's just like other genres in that regard just a hell of a lot more specific in comparison.

That's why I don't expect anyone to like rap music; but given the amount of people who prior to hearing rap (of both good and pretty bad quality) had absolutely nothing to do with, and didn't relate to, any of the cultural influences, but after listening become immersed in it, I find it hard to believe when anyone disregards it, regardless of the reason.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
[+] 2 users Like TrulyX's post