What Are You Listening To?

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
31-08-2015, 12:48 PM
RE: What Are You Listening To?
I bet no one around here gets any rest.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
31-08-2015, 01:53 PM
"I heard from God today,
And She sounded just like me.
What have I done,
And who have I become?
I saw the Devil today,
And he looked a lot like me.
I looked away, I turned away."

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
31-08-2015, 01:58 PM
(31-08-2015 01:53 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  "I heard from God today,
And She sounded just like me.
What have I done,
And who have I become?
I saw the Devil today,
And he looked a lot like me.
I looked away, I turned away."

You and I seem to have much the same music tastes. Thumbsup

I get strange looks every time my music player goes Manson -> Billy Joel -> Skipknot -> Tori -> (some other random ass genre)

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
31-08-2015, 02:49 PM
Love that 5FDP song. I have the album, but I had never seen the video. Now I have it almost running on a loop, and I posted most of the text in the video to my Facebook page, with the video linked, as a sort of poem.

The face the soldier makes when the little girl almost gives him a flower (before her mother quickly pulls her away from him) just straight-up breaks me. I'm sitting here just weeping every time I see it, and have given up on doing any more effective work this afternoon. I have a meeting with a potential client early this evening. Have to pull together by then. Ironically, one of the main aspects of my bike shop work is doing mods for veterans who have had limbs severed, guys who want to ride but can't operate a standard motorcycle setup, and the local VA refers them to us (it's why we don't advertise and/or post pictures of most of our builds or customers; we could ask for their permission, but we won't, and we already have more work than we need, so no need to advertise anyway). So, when I see that guy look at the crumpled, folded photograph of his kid, and I see the pain on his face, I see these guys. I'm going to have to focus on closing off my emotions tonight at the dinner meeting so I don't start sobbing like a little girl in front of a dude who's tough enough to still want to ride after losing his leg.

The lyrics of the song are good, yes, but I think the captions/words in the video are good enough to be worth posting here, too:

"The ones that love you the most are the ones willing to fight for you.

While you are watching this, there are over 300,000 homeless veterans sleeping on the streets, and this number is rising. Over 1.4 million veterans are at risk of becoming homeless. More than 67% of our homeless veterans served our country for at least three years.

They gave everything, yet we are failing them. A soldier somewhere does not understand why he is so easily discarded.

While you are watching this video, a veteran somewhere is losing his family. The divorce rate among military couples has increased 42%.

An estimated 460,000 veterans suffer from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder - PTSD. While you are watching this, a veteran is roaming the streets helpless.Homeless vets spend an average of 6 years on the streets.

While you are watching this, a veteran somewhere doesn't understand why his sacrifice went unappreciated.

While you are watching this, a veteran somewhere is not getting any help. The Veterans Administration has resources to serve only a fraction of our veterans

In the time you were watching this video, a veteran somewhere took his own life. Nearly 5000 veterans die by their own hands every year. That's one veteran ever two hours."

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
31-08-2015, 03:03 PM
(31-08-2015 02:49 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Love that 5FDP song. I have the album, but I had never seen the video. Now I have it almost running on a loop, and I posted most of the text in the video to my Facebook page, with the video linked, as a sort of poem.

The face the soldier makes when the little girl almost gives him a flower (before her mother quickly pulls her away from him) just straight-up breaks me. I'm sitting here just weeping every time I see it, and have given up on doing any more effective work this afternoon. I have a meeting with a potential client early this evening. Have to pull together by then. Ironically, one of the main aspects of my bike shop work is doing mods for veterans who have had limbs severed, guys who want to ride but can't operate a standard motorcycle setup, and the local VA refers them to us (it's why we don't advertise and/or post pictures of most of our builds or customers; we could ask for their permission, but we won't, and we already have more work than we need, so no need to advertise anyway). So, when I see that guy look at the crumpled, folded photograph of his kid, and I see the pain on his face, I see these guys. I'm going to have to focus on closing off my emotions tonight at the dinner meeting so I don't start sobbing like a little girl in front of a dude who's tough enough to still want to ride after losing his leg.

The lyrics of the song are good, yes, but I think the captions/words in the video are good enough to be worth posting here, too:

"The ones that love you the most are the ones willing to fight for you.

While you are watching this, there are over 300,000 homeless veterans sleeping on the streets, and this number is rising. Over 1.4 million veterans are at risk of becoming homeless. More than 67% of our homeless veterans served our country for at least three years.

They gave everything, yet we are failing them. A soldier somewhere does not understand why he is so easily discarded.

While you are watching this video, a veteran somewhere is losing his family. The divorce rate among military couples has increased 42%.

An estimated 460,000 veterans suffer from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder - PTSD. While you are watching this, a veteran is roaming the streets helpless.Homeless vets spend an average of 6 years on the streets.

While you are watching this, a veteran somewhere doesn't understand why his sacrifice went unappreciated.

While you are watching this, a veteran somewhere is not getting any help. The Veterans Administration has resources to serve only a fraction of our veterans

In the time you were watching this video, a veteran somewhere took his own life. Nearly 5000 veterans die by their own hands every year. That's one veteran ever two hours."

Hug

You gotta take the little victories, man. I'm sure they're thrilled to get their ability to ride back. I build computers and give them to vets a few times a year. It's all older parts, and I won't take their money. I tell them seeing a smile on a vets face is all the payment I need.

[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
31-08-2015, 09:02 PM
Thanks, Itsnotme. The meeting went very well. This guy actually wants us to build a bike for his wife, who has both limbs but limited mobility in her ankles/feet because they were shattered by IED that exploded under the vehicle. He wants to surprise her with the bike, so I'm going to be guessing a lot more than usual and going from indirect measurements-- much of dinner was figuring out how he can take the measurements I need without letting her know that's what he's doing. In some ways the build is easier, since it's just a matter of designing controls that can be operated without bending the ankle much (easy on a HD), and in others it'll be tougher because she likes his fast bike, so I can't just build a low-slung cruiser setup for her tiny frame. That means an unusual seating position on a bike that's normally a cruiser. I wasn't talking to the soldier, but the husband of one, so that made it a bit easier, given my emotional state.

I appreciate the support. The funny thing is, most of these guys get mad if I try to give them a discount or treat them as anything special. I get that. What kills me is when they like a design (I'm pretty good at listening to what people say they want, judging their personality--which is why I tend to take 'em out to dinner a couple of times, before and during--then building what they REALLY want), they will say nice things that make me want to crumble, like calling me "a badass" (as the last client did). I just smiled and kept shaking his hand, standing on my two good legs and looking at a real, actual badass. I'm just a skinny little nerd with engineer genes and artist genes, who loves bikes and is pretty handy with a light-pen and a wrench.

[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
01-09-2015, 07:04 AM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2015 09:41 AM by houseofcantor.)

And a fave.

And some KMFDM

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
02-09-2015, 05:40 PM

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
03-09-2015, 01:15 AM
My hopes are so high that your kiss might kill me,
So won't you kill me-- so I die happy?
My heart is yours to fill or burst,
To break or bury, or wear as jewelry,
Whichever you prefer.

Hands down, this is the best day I can ever remember,
I'll always remember the sound of the stereo,
The dim of the soft lights,
The scent of your hair that you twirled in your fingers,
And the time on the clock
When we realized it's so late,
And this walk that we shared together.
The streets were wet, and the gate was locked,
So I jumped it and I let you in.
And you stood at your door
With your hands on my waist
And you kissed me like you meant it--
And I knew that you meant it, that you meant it.
And I knew that you meant it, that you meant it.

[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
03-09-2015, 04:45 AM

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post