What Are You Listening To?

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
17-06-2012, 03:07 PM
RE: What Are You Listening To?
(17-06-2012 04:54 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  call.

I keep getting the same hand. I'm starting to think the cards are marked and the dealer's crooked. Big Grin

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
17-06-2012, 03:30 PM
(17-06-2012 02:59 PM)TrulyX Wrote:  
(16-06-2012 04:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  It's not very musical. And then there's the misogyny, the violence, ...

Yeah, it's not music, by a definition that's specifically devised to exclude it.

I should say, the skill involved is higher than you think. The difference is that in other forms of music, it's easier to weed out and get rid of the bad i.e. If you can't sing and/or you don't know how to properly play an instrument, depending on which one (or both) you do, you aren't going to get past go. But, if you can't make beats and you can't rap, you still have a good, if not even better, chance at becoming a superstar. For example: Justin Bieber at least had to exhibit talent; the New Boyz, well they just let them in.

My point is for rap music (making beats/MCing) the threshold is just a lot lower than with singing or playing instruments. If you only look at how much skill and/or talent is required to be considered even doing what you are claiming to be doing (singing, rapping, playing, beatmaking, etc.), (e.g. how people who can't sing get laughed at and made fun of by our society for making that attempt, yet some rap artists and people attempting to rap aren't always judged accurately on that ability), I can see your point. But, if you look at how much skill and talent is needed to do it well, and to be great, then you will start to see that rap music is full of talent and skill that rivals and in some cases, surpasses that of other genres. Maybe the problem is that people ignore the technical skills and natural talents that are actually required, due to a lack of understanding of the quality of it?

"Digital editing, copying others' music, programming a drum machine and talking semi-rhythmically."
That comment is kind of completely missing the quality of every aspect that goes into hip-hop, regardless of whether or not you want to call rap a form of music. It might also show an ignorance of music in general, if not just a view rooted in pretentiousness.

The only excuse I accept for not liking rap music is the inability to relate to it. Rap music is born out of the culture of Hip-Hop and things of, or related to, that culture, and not so much out of music. So, there are tons of things that are specific to certain people familiar with, or part of, certain cultures that really aren't meant for those that don't understand or relate to those things. Things like DJing, sampling, MCing, inner city/street environment, etc, are all part of the content and substance of the music in a large way. The music that we call rap is a product of Hip-Hop culture which wasn't ever set out to form a new genre of music (and still exists separate from the music). Despite rap being taken over by pop, just like every previous genre, and the mainstream content now being geared almost exclusively toward selling records, rap that is true to the culture it came from is inside out i.e. here is my expression, my story, my way. It came from the individual, and wasn't specifically/exclusively for others to hear/see but just to put out the expression, and if others like it, fine. It's just like other genres in that regard just a hell of a lot more specific in comparison.

That's why I don't expect anyone to like rap music; but given the amount of people who prior to hearing rap (of both good and pretty bad quality) had absolutely nothing to do with, and didn't relate to, any of the cultural influences, but after listening become immersed in it, I find it hard to believe when anyone disregards it, regardless of the reason.
I'm not going to debate a matter of taste. You don't, I suspect, like every kind of music.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-06-2012, 03:41 PM
(17-06-2012 02:59 PM)TrulyX Wrote:  I find it hard to believe when anyone disregards it, regardless of the reason.

Sux. Tongue

Like country. Dodgy

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-06-2012, 04:28 PM
I enjoy all music - I have my favorites and my not so favorites... I say this because I've only very recently been able to stand organ music. I don't mean the happy, family Wurlitzer - I'm talking the scary massive ones with ninety pipes - their sound was always just tolerably annoying. Now, I actually like it - when I'm in a mood.

At any one time, I might be able to handle a steady diet of one kind of music. But sometimes not, it may just be timing. I have a station that plays Jazz all day Saturday - it's on wherever I am- no excuses. The same station plays New Grass & Blue Grass on Sundays - some of it's ok - but I won't go out of the way to make sure it's on... and some makes me to open a vein. Yet, there was one Summer I recall, I was completely entrenched in New Grass. Hmm.

Exploration is good. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
17-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Warren Zevon - Lawyers, Guns and Money

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
17-06-2012, 05:37 PM
(17-06-2012 04:34 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Warren Zevon - Lawyers, Guns and Money
Dad, get me outta this improbable and grotesque mischief. Wink

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
17-06-2012, 05:48 PM
(17-06-2012 05:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-06-2012 04:34 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Warren Zevon - Lawyers, Guns and Money
Dad, get me outta this improbable and grotesque mischief. Wink

What a great quote Smile thanks for posting this!

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
18-06-2012, 11:37 AM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2012 03:30 PM by TrulyX.)
(17-06-2012 03:30 PM)Chas Wrote:  I'm not going to debate a matter of taste. You don't, I suspect, like every kind of music.

(17-06-2012 03:41 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Sux. Tongue

Like country. Dodgy

I don't like pop music, which I specifically define as music I don't like. Big Grin Or so people say. I do like a lot of different kinds of music, and I also respect a lot of different forms of music, even if I don't prefer it. Music I don't respect, I just label as pop music.

I wasn't trying to debate anything, I was just trying to make a point. I do think there is a difference in the ways that you can say something sucks or isn't any good. You can make an assertion of what you believe to be fact, or state your personal preference. If you think there is objectivity to judging the aesthetic value and quality of art, and you make a claim about something specific, it's no longer just tastes or preference.

I guess I just come across the situation too much, where people will make claims about rap that I see as being opinions based on what they think objectively is the case, and not just stating preference. Also, a lot of the times it comes with a lot of other claims, beyond just "I hate rap/it's sucks" that are fact based assertions, without me making an assumption they see objectivity in art, that are just completely wrong (e.g. they don't play instruments, none of them can sing, in general it doesn't take any skill and/or talent, the topics aren't wide ranging i.e. it's all about money, violence, and women, the lyrics all lack complexity, etc).

I really don't have a problem with anyone saying "rap sucks" or saying they "hate rap". If that is just your personal preference or taste, I could care less, and I encourage you to listen to whatever it is fits your personal preference the most, for your own enjoyment. I only have a problem when people start throwing in a lot of baseless assertions of facts, along with their personal preference, or in support of it. I'm not saying that is what you are trying to do, it's just what I'm use to seeing people do.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
[+] 1 user Likes TrulyX's post
18-06-2012, 01:22 PM

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 3 users Like Leerob's post
18-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Sister Janis! Heart

However - I'd not heard this version with all those other insturments. I only have her singing this acapella.

LUCYLeela -you got some 'splainin' to do. Tongue

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein