15-09-2015, 10:48 PM
Re: What Are You Listening To?
Pantera, anyone? Mmmm.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like mecanna's post
15-09-2015, 11:23 PM
RE: What Are You Listening To?
(15-09-2015 10:48 PM)mecanna Wrote:  Pantera, anyone? Mmmm.

They're okay. Heard it all before though, like most pop music. Nothing wrong with pop music of course. I just joined a pop funk band.
It's how you get gigs.

Here's a band of old friends. I may have played with them. Can't quite recall now.

I am in a similar act now playing percussion.

Live version of same tune.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
16-09-2015, 01:15 AM
(15-09-2015 11:23 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 10:48 PM)mecanna Wrote:  Pantera, anyone? Mmmm.

They're okay. Heard it all before though, like most pop music.
Once they went away from their glam era they became a unique outfit.
I don't think there is another band quite like Pantera.
16-09-2015, 02:43 AM (This post was last modified: 16-09-2015 05:05 AM by Banjo.)
Double post. Sorry.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
16-09-2015, 02:49 AM
(16-09-2015 01:15 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 11:23 PM)Banjo Wrote:  They're okay. Heard it all before though, like most pop music.
Once they went away from their glam era they became a unique outfit.
I don't think there is another band quite like Pantera.

Well there is original sounds within genres. In fact replace a single musician within a group, be it Bill Evans with Wynton Kelly in Miles' Kind of blue sessions and the band changes. This does not demean the band or the style. Have I heard a million drummers that sound like Vinnie Paul? Pretty much within that style because that is what is required. But he has his own sound.

Ultimately what's important is that the band gets along and the people can work together. THAT is the hardest part of touring and living together at close quarters. I admire any group that can do that.

Pantera was a fine band. As are many others. For some reason people choose favourites. I've no idea why.

Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
16-09-2015, 02:57 AM
Hey Banjo

I'm not sure if you've heard of something like this, but I just read it in someone's comments in youtube and it checks out.

In Maiden's latest epic "Empire of the Clouds" an 18 minute song about the disaster of R101 Hydrogen airship.
Well in the song at 6mins 58 secs the drummer (Nicko) taps out morse code for SOS.

[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
16-09-2015, 03:03 AM
I saw Maiden at the Horden back in the early 90's. Great drummer, Nicko McBrain in that band. Too bad he left Sonor to endorse Premier only to have Premier go under again.

I've not heard that track as yet. I will give it a listen tomorrow morning. I am chilling now listening to jazz preparing to sleep. I had a very bad night last night.

Banjo.
16-09-2015, 03:31 AM
(16-09-2015 03:03 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I saw Maiden at the Horden back in the early 90's. Great drummer, Nicko McBrain in that band. Too bad he left Sonor to endorse Premier only to have Premier go under again.

I've not heard that track as yet. I will give it a listen tomorrow morning. I am chilling now listening to jazz preparing to sleep. I had a very bad night last night.
Ohh, bad night, sorry to hear, I know you are going through a lot.

This song is quite soothing for an IM song, piano, violin etc. I actually gave my wife (not a metal fan) a massage to help her go to sleep while playing this on the stereo.

But certainly, no rush, get some sleep and take care of yourself.

If you're not into it (when you do get around to listening) just fast forward to the 6:58 bit. At that point though the drums appear to be a bit chaotic and heavy, they are giving the impression that a disaster is happening but they are actually spelling out SOS at the same time. I didn't realise when listening to the song. Just understood from the mood that something drastic was happening to the R101.

But I now think that this was quite smart to incorporate morse code and still have it feel like a song rythm rather than morse code. It fits well considering the story telling of the song.

Anyway just thought it was a bit of trivia involving drums.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
16-09-2015, 04:54 AM
(16-09-2015 03:31 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(16-09-2015 03:03 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I saw Maiden at the Horden back in the early 90's. Great drummer, Nicko McBrain in that band. Too bad he left Sonor to endorse Premier only to have Premier go under again.

Ohh, bad night, sorry to hear, I know you are going through a lot.

This song is quite soothing for an IM song, piano, violin etc. I actually gave my wife (not a metal fan) a massage to help her go to sleep while playing this on the stereo.

But certainly, no rush, get some sleep and take care of yourself.

If you're not into it (when you do get around to listening) just fast forward to the 6:58 bit. At that point though the drums appear to be a bit chaotic and heavy, they are giving the impression that a disaster is happening but they are actually spelling out SOS at the same time. I didn't realise when listening to the song. Just understood from the mood that something drastic was happening to the R101.

But I now think that this was quite smart to incorporate morse code and still have it feel like a song rythm rather than morse code. It fits well considering the story telling of the song.

Anyway just thought it was a bit of trivia involving drums.

I'll listen to it. Music is my job and I must stay on top of what is happening. Even though I remember listening to Maiden in the early 80's. I try to stay current, but there is a whole history of recording from the world over. I tend to burn through music very quickly and then move on. My favourite music is the music I've yet to hear. A new rhythm, groove etc. The 2 and 4 thing is a bit old. I am mainly a jazz drummer who played rock, funk, heavy metal, punk, acid jazz, samba, afro cuban, afro pop etc etc. I love Fela Kuti for example and always loved his drummer, Tony Allen. So random and jazzy.

And I always loved Mike Clark with The Headhunters. Clark is one of my biggest influences.

Although here is probably the greatest drummer alive Vinnie Colaiuta with Herbie playing a Clark groove.

Banjo.
16-09-2015, 05:02 AM (This post was last modified: 16-09-2015 05:19 AM by houseofcantor.)
Banjo taking up all teh threads. Big Grin

Hope you're better this morning bro. Hug

Def a fan of teh Garbage. Yes

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post