What Are You Listening To?

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
19-06-2012, 06:37 AM
RE: What Are You Listening To?
(18-06-2012 11:37 AM)TrulyX Wrote:  I only have a problem when people start throwing in a lot of baseless assertions of facts, along with their personal preference, or in support of it. I'm not saying that is what you are trying to do, it's just what I'm use to seeing people do.

Get yer nappy-headed pro-rap ass on down the road. That being said...

Big Grin

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2012, 07:45 AM
...and as for country...

Heart Heart Heart Heart

Stupid youtube, has that column of "related videos" on the right; and it don't matter wtf I'm watching, somehow it's always related to Gwyneth... Big Grin

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
19-06-2012, 07:57 AM
Deep Purple - Woman from Tokyo

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
19-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Gotta agree to disagree on this one, TX. ?uest might list Benjamin Franklin as his biggest influence; that has no bearing on the fact that I like what ?uest plays & the way he plays it, not the lineage of his inspiration.
And I have to stand by what I said. You can call me pretentious, that's fine. Do you play an instrument with high proficiency? Have you studied music? Just curious.
I don't think these things are necessary at all to like & appreciate music, so don't get me wrong there. The vast majority of music consumers can't play, which is fine. I love the NFL, but would get my ass handed to me on the first play.
Anyway, I guess we just have a really different perspective on music, musicianship, and what constitutes it.
19-06-2012, 05:23 PM
(19-06-2012 06:37 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Get yer nappy-headed pro-rap ass on down the road. That being said...

But, I have good hair. Sad

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
19-06-2012, 06:01 PM (This post was last modified: 19-06-2012 06:04 PM by TrulyX.)
(19-06-2012 11:44 AM)DannyW Wrote:  Do you play an instrument with high proficiency?

I'm way to lazy to be highly proficient at anything.

Quote:Have you studied music?

Yes and no. I know a lot about music, but by studied I assume you mean a formal education and extensive knowledge of theory.

Quote:The vast majority of music consumers can't play, which is fine. I love the NFL, but would get my ass handed to me on the first play.

You don't use very proper analogies, especially in regards to proving points. I'd get my ass handed to me too, if I played in the NFL, and I'm not proficient at an instrument, but that's pointless. There is a lot that goes into both football and music that gives you basis to judge it besides capabilities.

I don't have a formal, classical music education, and I'm not a virtuoso, but that doesn't in any way limit me to only being able to "like & appreciate".

We are never going to agree though, so I'll just agree with you that we "just have a really different perspective on music, musicianship, and what constitutes it."

Quote:?uest might list Benjamin Franklin as his biggest influence; that has no bearing on the fact that I like what ?uest plays & the way he plays it, not the lineage of his inspiration. And I have to stand by what I said.

You don't have to accept what I was saying. I was just pointing out that Dilla had a huge influence on him as a musician and influenced the way he played for part of his career, yet you want to exclude guys like Dilla from even being considered as making music.

I guess that was just part of a bigger point. I figured you say, well that's just Dilla. The thing is many people who you would have to have respect for look at Dilla like he is from an alien family and as a artistic genius. I'm not saying that has to lead you to accepting Dilla, Hip-Hip as a culture, rap as a form of music, or alter your definition or understanding, I was just pointing it out.

The classically trained virtuoso Miguel Atwood-Ferguson grew up listening to Mozart, Beethoven and Chopin. He started playing the violin when he was four, began composing orchestral music at 10 and took up the viola at 12. The first musician he truly loved was Bach, but Atwood-Ferguson knows precisely what drew him to the music of James Yancey, aka Jay Dee, aka J Dilla.

"Dilla is a modern genius," he says. "Everyone has genius within them, but not everyone, for whatever reason, manifests it. But Dilla did. He stood for taking a great risk on different levels, for continuous hard work and for courage. He is a modern genius because he captured and represented the spirit of a particular time. What he did was so deep that he has influenced a huge amount of modern music. In an age when many of his peers are still more interested in vanity, Dilla was more interested in exploration through music. And that is why he is a modern genius."

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
19-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Jeez, you just can't quit, can you? J Dilla (nonGod Zilla, whatever) can eat the corn out of my shit for all I care, even if Mstitslav Rostropovich listed him as his primary influence. I'm talking objective actions, not subjective opinions.

And... Really? Attacking my analogy about appreciating something without being able to actually DO it? Really? Is dat the best bullet in your clip, yo? (gratuitous hip-hop ref)

Okay, so...

We've established you have no formal music education. Essentially, you're a wiki/google expert trying to argue your point. You may be a music fan, man, but you are just flinging your uneducated opinions.

Which is fine, really. Music, while a technical endeavor, is ultimately art. It is in the eye (or ear) of the beholder, so if you think hip-hop is musical art, mo' power to you, dude. A bit of education might actually show you, and cause you to appreciate, what's missing there. Learn to play an instrument before being the world's expert music critic. It is easy for you to discount something when you don't have the benefit of years of dedication to appreciate it. Any slacker can pull critique out of his ass. To actually do something takes self-discipline and hard work. Years of hard work.

I tried saying lets agree to disagree, but you want to just keep hammering at it to find some sort of validation for hip-hop, which you don't even have a stake in, as far as I can see. Instead, I just have to conclude that you are a layman who thinks he knows more than he does, and is too arrogant to let well enough alone. So...

I'll continue to make music. You listen to your iPod & impress your friends with how much info you've googled. Peace.
19-06-2012, 08:15 PM

[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
19-06-2012, 08:26 PM
I don't understand the argument here...I loved this thread, I found some new kinds of music here and new artists as well as being reminded of some that I hadn't listened to in a while.

Musical taste is such a personal thing. Musical ability or training doesn't really have anything to do with it...it's whatever speaks to you on whatever level. Be it lyrics, the instruments, the singers voice, the beat.

I tend not to care for country as a style of music but do like some country songs and some artists. I am not a student of classical music but do appreciate the beauty of some of it. After my Music Appreciation class, there is some I don't care for though I appreciate it as a style.

I like rap, not all of it. But the ones that really have a knack at word play amuse me.

There are some songs I like over a wide range of styles that I like to hear now and then because they are from my past and are familiar.

Everyone sees art with a different eye, just as everyone hears music with a different ear.

Stop the infighting and get back to introducing, or reminding, each other of music...in all it's forms.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
19-06-2012, 11:02 PM
It's a Hard Life- Queen....

God Freddie Mercury has quite a voice. Drooling

If I was gay, I would be all up on him.................. Shocking

If he was alive.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.