What Are You Listening To?

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
20-06-2012, 02:36 AM
RE: What Are You Listening To?
Point taken, Angie. I'm done. Shouldn't have been posting after an evening of craft beer & Jack Daniels anyway!

TrulyX, let's suspend it until we can continue the argument over a few beers. I'll buy. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-06-2012, 04:28 AM
Quote:

The rap thing... By and large, it isn't real music. It is a
loosely-choreographed entertainment form, like professional wrestling.
Does it take some skill to do well? Yes, but so does slalom skiing.
That, too, is not music. Digital editing, copying others' music,
programming a drum machine and talking semi-rhythmically isn't music.

Except Rage Against The Machine. Tom Morello is a fucking genius.
You see, this is ignorant. You clearly have no idea about rap music or hip-hop culture. It is pretty hard to use 3 turntables, dozens of records to make one new tune, perfectly in line with rhythm, sounds and voice. You have to know music, you have to have rhythm and you need to know how to use turntables. Using turntables is an art, and I am not talking only about mixing 2 or more songs together, there is also scratching, a completely new form of sounds that you can MAKE only with turntables. By combining multiple records, you make a whole new music (bass, rhythm, sounds, the whole thing) and then MC enters the scene. Some MC's are lyrical geniuses, AND HELL NO I AM NOT THINKING ABOUT 50 CENT, OR KANYE WEST. After a DJ makes new music, a vocalist comes along and sings some lyrics that he made, composed and sang. Only it is called rapping, not singing. Then we have a special kind of making music while singing 100% unplugged, that is called BeatBoxing. Now that is some hard shit to do and that is 100% human MAKING music.

You may not like rap, you may think it is the worst music ever made, but fuck me if I will let you or anyone be this ignorant to call it NOT MUSIC. It IS music and if you ever bothered with the history and techniques behind it, you would know that.

Further more, fuck this modern shit, there are no rappers today. You have to go back to 90's and 80's to see and hear real experts. Watch some DJ competition, scratch masters of some kind to see what those people are capable of doing.

It is music because it has rhythm, sounds that are connected to the rhythm and usually lyrics. You can dance to it.

Music is an art form whose medium is sound and silence. Its common elements are pitch (which governs melody and harmony), rhythm (and its associated concepts tempo, meter, and articulation), dynamics, and the sonic qualities of timbre and texture.

By this definition it is also music.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 2 users Like Filox's post
20-06-2012, 09:20 AM
(20-06-2012 02:36 AM)DannyW Wrote:  Point taken, Angie. I'm done. Shouldn't have been posting after an evening of craft beer & Jack Daniels anyway!

TrulyX, let's suspend it until we can continue the argument over a few beers. I'll buy. Smile

I though I was suspending it, or agreeing to disagree, with my previous posts, but okay, I guess it's official now. I'll ignore the rest of what you said, and I'll assume you didn't really mean it.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
20-06-2012, 09:47 AM
(20-06-2012 04:28 AM)Filox Wrote:  Further more, fuck this modern shit, there are no rappers today. You have to go back to 90's and 80's to see and hear real experts. Watch some DJ competition, scratch masters of some kind to see what those people are capable of doing.

You have to be European. I don't know where that love comes from, but it's a lot more wide spread than it is in the USA. I'll accept the love anywhere though, especially for the Golden Era "Real" Hip-Hop and real DJs/Turntablists, Beatmakers, MCs, all of it.

There are tons of artist getting it in today though. OGs and some new cats. You don't have to go back to the 90s for some good stuff. You probably already know that though.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
20-06-2012, 12:07 PM
dubstep for deaf people > don't watch if visual epileptic

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
20-06-2012, 12:40 PM (This post was last modified: 20-06-2012 12:43 PM by DannyW.)
(20-06-2012 04:28 AM)Filox Wrote:  but fuck me

Is this a proposition??? Thumbsup

Lighten up, melvin.

TrulyX, I totally didn't get "agree to disagree" from what you said, but again, I'd been consuming some firewater. Smile I DO retract any comments taken as disrespectful to you, and the offer to buy beers stands. My original comment, quoted by Croatian O.G. Thug above, was mostly tongue-in-cheek, hence the professional wrestling comment. I know, sarcasm doesn't translate well via interwebz.
21-06-2012, 01:02 AM
(20-06-2012 12:40 PM)DannyW Wrote:  
(20-06-2012 04:28 AM)Filox Wrote:  but fuck me

Is this a proposition??? Thumbsup

Lighten up, melvin.

TrulyX, I totally didn't get "agree to disagree" from what you said, but again, I'd been consuming some firewater. Smile I DO retract any comments taken as disrespectful to you, and the offer to buy beers stands. My original comment, quoted by Croatian O.G. Thug above, was mostly tongue-in-cheek, hence the professional wrestling comment. I know, sarcasm doesn't translate well via interwebz.
Since I don't know what are you male or a female, it could be a proposition... Smile

Anyway, I just wanted to say that you, or anyone can not claim Rap is not a music at all. It is by all the standards, definitions and whatnot. There, all settled.

TrulyX, I just don't see anything that can be called Rap in 50 Cent, Kanye, Pdidy and most of that shit that we see today and that people are calling rap music. It is not, it is pop music. And I can't see what you put up there in the vids, 'cause I am blocked from Youtube at the moment, but I will see it in a few hours.

Now that I mentioned Kanye, did you know he is a gay fish?

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-epi...fishsticks

Serves him right for calling himself "a genius and a rapper". He is neither.

Cool

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
21-06-2012, 01:08 AM

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
21-06-2012, 06:59 AM

...well, Imma coupla 18s. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
21-06-2012, 07:01 AM
(21-06-2012 01:02 AM)Filox Wrote:  TrulyX, I just don't see anything that can be called Rap in 50 Cent...

That's cause u dumb. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post