What Are You Listening To?

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
10-11-2012, 04:22 PM
RE: What Are You Listening To?
(10-11-2012 04:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  And ...
As well as (knowing full well I'll offend a whole lot of people with this one, but it's mostly the rum talking right now, saying 'to hell with it, I'm entitled to my opinions'):

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
10-11-2012, 04:30 PM
(10-11-2012 04:22 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(10-11-2012 04:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  And ...
As well as (knowing full well I'll offend a whole lot of people with this one, but it's mostly the rum talking right now, saying 'to hell with it, I;m entitled to my opinions'):

Written, and here performed by, Buffy Ste. Marie

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
10-11-2012, 04:39 PM
(10-11-2012 04:30 PM)Chas Wrote:  Written, and here performed by, Buffy Ste. Marie
And yet, one gets called naive and stupid for believing it. And naive's the nicest thing I've heard.

(Everything sounds even more beautiful and poignant in Italian)

10-11-2012, 08:29 PM
I like the metals. Recently i discovered a band called winds of plague. If you like the heavy metals check them out. Smile

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
Find all posts by this user
11-11-2012, 04:42 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2012 05:04 PM by GirlyMan.)
(10-11-2012 04:22 PM)Vera Wrote:  As well as (knowing full well I'll offend a whole lot of people with this one, but it's mostly the rum talking right now, saying 'to hell with it, I'm entitled to my opinions'):

I see you've found your sea legs and realize it's okay to offend people here. Good for you. Thumbsup

I didn't find that offensive, not particularly appropriate and a bit insensitive for Veteran's Day in the USA (I'm guessing you didn't realize that) and I don't agree that the weapon should be blamed and not the ones pulling the trigger (Dick Cheney's got a special spot in Hell reserved for him right next to Pol Pot and Saddam Hussein) but I didn't find it offensive.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
11-11-2012, 04:52 PM
(11-11-2012 04:42 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I see you've found your sea legs and realize it's okay to offend people here. Good for you. Thumbsup

I didn't find that offensive, I don't agree that the weapon should be blamed and not the ones pulling the trigger but I didn't find it offensive.
Well, some people are more touchy than others Wink It was a rather veiled offence though ( I think Unsure ). Still find it difficult to tell people they're talking out of their asses, but I don't do this in real life, either, so I'm not worried.

I don't think it's as easy as blaming one or the other, but this a complicated issue, no need to go into it anyway...
And since this is about songs, here's the best version of this song I've ever heard (as much as like Faye Dunaway, I wish there was a clip with Grady Tate and not her, but...)

http://www.myspace.com/video/schuon25/fa...nd/4291921

Re Morrison: Bless his heart, he was quite the poser, wasn't he Smile

11-11-2012, 05:01 PM
(11-11-2012 04:52 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(11-11-2012 04:42 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I see you've found your sea legs and realize it's okay to offend people here. Good for you. Thumbsup

I didn't find that offensive, I don't agree that the weapon should be blamed and not the ones pulling the trigger but I didn't find it offensive.
Well, some people are more touchy than others Wink It was a rather veiled offence though ( I think Unsure ). Still find it difficult to tell people they're talking out of their asses, but I don't do this in real life, either, so I'm not worried.

I don't think it's as easy as blaming one or the other, but this a complicated issue, no need to go into it anyway...
And since this is about songs, here's the best version of this song I've ever heard (as much as like Faye Dunaway, I wish there was a clip with Grady Tate and not her, but...)

http://www.myspace.com/video/schuon25/fa...nd/4291921

Re Morrison: Bless his heart, he was quite the poser, wasn't he Smile
No, the message is really fucking simple. If people won't play soldier, there will be no war.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-11-2012, 05:07 PM
(11-11-2012 05:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, the message is really fucking simple. If people won't play soldier, there will be no war.

And you accuse me of being unrealistic. Tongue Surely you remember that when that song was written we were still being conscripted to serve.

#sigh
11-11-2012, 05:15 PM
(11-11-2012 05:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(11-11-2012 05:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, the message is really fucking simple. If people won't play soldier, there will be no war.

And you accuse me of being unrealistic. Tongue Surely you remember that when that song was written we were still being conscripted to serve.
Yes, I remember. I was 1-A and my older brother was in Viet Nam. Still doesn't change the message.

If everyone said "Hell, no, we won't go!" there would be no armies.

[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
11-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Don't really want to go into a discussion about this (esp. at this hour and with what's going through my head right now), but there is an ENORMOUS difference between voluntary military service and conscription.

And it was exactly because of remembrance day that I posted all four war-themed songs (three of which can only be considered insensitive by... well, I really don't know who can consider them insensitive).

And I find the glorification of people who piss on the corpses of their victims and who have been collecting the teeth of people they've killed, much more disturbing than any song, but hey, what do I know, right? I never was in the army and thus don't know shit about heroism.

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post