What Are Your Favorite Contradictions in the Bible, Torah, etc.?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2018, 03:35 AM
What Are Your Favorite Contradictions in the Bible, Torah, etc.?
I'd like to hear from both sides of the fence on this one, if possible. What are your favorite contradictions in the Bible, Torah, Quran... or... whatever other holy book there is out there...? For theists I should maybe ask, what contradiction do you find to be the most interesting/challenging?

I am curious to hear about literal contradictions, such as... continuity errors... (Judas hanged himself in Mathew 27:5 but then his intestines were spilled out of his body after he fell in a field that he bought as said in Acts 1:18).... or conceptual contradictions... i.e. Love thy neighbor versus stone the whore type stuff.

It's a bit boring and cliche but my favorite ones have always been the latter... There are COUNTLESS passages in the Bible that contradict one another... love your fellow man, dash his babies against the rocks... beat your slaves if you wish to... but not too hard or that's a sin! I have read the Bible, but I'm sure many here are much more well-versed in its pages and can point out contradictions that a lot of us might not be aware of.

It would also be interesting to hear from former Jews/Muslims and hear about what contradictions they like in their respective holy books.... granted the Torah is simply Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy... Still I think it'd be cool to hear from all walks on this one.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like RBMG's post
08-02-2018, 04:39 AM
RE: What Are Your Favorite Contradictions in the Bible, Torah, etc.?
None. They're all horseshit.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
08-02-2018, 05:56 AM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2018 05:59 AM by M. Linoge.)
Matthew 5:44 - But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

Luke 19:27 - But bring here these enemies of mine, who did not want me to rule over them, and slaughter them in my presence.

"Kill for me"; such a cliche cult-leader quote.

"Throughout history, every mystery, ever solved, has turned out to be; Not magic."
[+] 7 users Like M. Linoge's post
08-02-2018, 06:20 AM
Not so much favorite as most enraging: Job versus the gospels and every other mention of the bible god giving a shit about the welfare of humanity.

However, I have to say the god of Job, insistent on being praised no matter what, happy to allow suffering and death (especially women and children, who don't seem to be considered fully human), making others do his dirty work, and absolutely intolerant of fact-based questions, is exactly the kind of creator god that the state of the earth would imply. A monster.
[+] 6 users Like julep's post
08-02-2018, 07:52 AM
Genesis 32:30
Quote:30 So Jacob called the name of the place Peni′el,[a] saying, “For I have seen God face to face, and yet my life is preserved.”

a. That is The face of God

Exodus 33:20
Quote:20 But,” he said, “you cannot see my face; for man shall not see me and live.”

John 1:18
Quote:18 No one has ever seen God; the only Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, he has made him known.

So... not only did Jacob do something that he can't, he did something that no one else other than Jesus has done. Consider Don't worry kids! AnswersInGenesis will clear it all up! No, I'm not linking that trash, here. You can go there yourself if you're feeling like setting some brain cells on fire. Personally, I prefer beer.
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post
08-02-2018, 08:48 AM
Not really a contradiction, (and those here a while have seen me post this) .... I think the wife try-outs are pretty humorous.

Genesis 2:20 "The man gave names to all the cattle, (*as if* they were already domesticated), all the birds of the air, and all the *wild* animals; but none *proved* to be a suitable partner for the man.

Cough.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
[+] 8 users Like Bucky Ball's post
08-02-2018, 09:48 AM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2018 09:57 AM by M. Linoge.)
(08-02-2018 08:48 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Not really a contradiction, (and those here a while have seen me post this) .... I think the wife try-outs are pretty humorous.

Genesis 2:20 "The man gave names to all the cattle, (*as if* they were already domesticated), all the birds of the air, and all the *wild* animals; but none *proved* to be a suitable partner for the man.

If that wasn't painfully obvious from the start..... How far do you think god made Adam go with the unsuitable partners before He shook His divine head and was forced to conclude that 'this definitely isn't working'? Gasp Sadcryface Shocking Blink

"Throughout history, every mystery, ever solved, has turned out to be; Not magic."
[+] 3 users Like M. Linoge's post
08-02-2018, 10:12 AM
Numbers 23: 19 : "God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change his mind. Has he said, and will he not do it? Or has he spoken, and will he not fulfill it?"

Exodus 32:14 : "So the Lord changed His mind about the harm which He said He would do to His people"

The mental gymnastics used to explain that one away are even more entertaining.
[+] 4 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
08-02-2018, 02:12 PM
I tend to as of late look to the claims of God's goodness and the examples of God's not being good. A whole nest of verses. God hardens hearts (Romans 11), decides who is saved and not saved, God the divine potter, (Romans 9) versus scatter verses proclaiming God is just, fair, merciful and compassionate.

or perhaps the Gospels 5 different tales of what happened as Jesus arose from the dead (plus Acts).

The 2 different infant narratives of Matthew and Luke. The Bible is all a target rich environment.

“It is impossible for someone to lie unless he thinks he knows the truth. Producing bullshit requires no such conviction.”
― Harry G. Frankfurt, On Bullshit

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post
08-02-2018, 02:42 PM
(08-02-2018 02:12 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  I tend to as of late look to the claims of God's goodness and the examples of God's not being good. A whole nest of verses. God hardens hearts (Romans 11), decides who is saved and not saved, God the divine potter, (Romans 9) versus scatter verses proclaiming God is just, fair, merciful and compassionate.

or perhaps the Gospels 5 different tales of what happened as Jesus arose from the dead (plus Acts).

The 2 different infant narratives of Matthew and Luke. The Bible is all a target rich environment.

I think Aron Ra mentioned there up to 439 contradictions in one of his youtube videos.

[+] 1 user Likes M. Linoge's post