What Are Your Favorite Contradictions in the Bible, Torah, etc.?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2018, 03:06 PM
RE: What Are Your Favorite Contradictions in the Bible, Torah, etc.?
(09-02-2018 02:50 PM)RBMG Wrote:  
(08-02-2018 09:02 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I will defer to your knowledge on the subject of Jewish conversions and translation accuracy from Hebrew to English. Welcome to the forum.
Um... okay? And thanks. When your class schedule lightens up please feel free to take some time out and inform me about how wrong I am, seems to be an enjoyable thing for you I wouldn't want you to miss a chance to get your kicks. Thanks!

Once again, not really sure what your contribution to the thread was other than informing me that the Torah is in Hebrew, not English. You didn't go on to explain how much it changes the interpretations of possible contradictions other than to say it may possibly change the perception of some contradictions... but didn't go on to explain yourself in any way. So thanks for nothing. It seems like the sole purpose of your post was simply to correct somebody... which... I mean okay? Pretty pointless seeing as how MOST individuals on here are probably former Christians. Kinda makes it seem like you were just interested in starting an argument which I'm not terrible interested in having.

You kind of remind me of the apologists who argue the true meaning of the Bible has been "lost in translation."

She's a Jew. Christian mistranslation of the Hebrew Bible (sometimes intentional) can be a sore point for Jews. So give her a break, OK?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Grasshopper's post
09-02-2018, 03:08 PM
(09-02-2018 11:51 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Yeah, that just kills me: "The Bible means exactly what it says, except when it contradicts itself -- then it means something else." They think they can have it both ways.

Like I said: Orwellian double-speak.
09-02-2018, 03:09 PM
(09-02-2018 03:06 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(09-02-2018 02:50 PM)RBMG Wrote:  Um... okay? And thanks. When your class schedule lightens up please feel free to take some time out and inform me about how wrong I am, seems to be an enjoyable thing for you I wouldn't want you to miss a chance to get your kicks. Thanks!

Once again, not really sure what your contribution to the thread was other than informing me that the Torah is in Hebrew, not English. You didn't go on to explain how much it changes the interpretations of possible contradictions other than to say it may possibly change the perception of some contradictions... but didn't go on to explain yourself in any way. So thanks for nothing. It seems like the sole purpose of your post was simply to correct somebody... which... I mean okay? Pretty pointless seeing as how MOST individuals on here are probably former Christians. Kinda makes it seem like you were just interested in starting an argument which I'm not terrible interested in having.

You kind of remind me of the apologists who argue the true meaning of the Bible has been "lost in translation."

She's a Jew. Christian mistranslation of the Hebrew Bible (sometimes intentional) can be a sore point for Jews. So give her a break, OK?
Ok, she's right, I'm wrong. When she wants to contribute to the thread I'd be happy to hear from her.
09-02-2018, 03:12 PM
Goddamn! Rachel is on a roll!

Also:

(09-02-2018 01:08 PM)Rachel Wrote:  In 1 Chron 21:1, it states that Satan incited David to take a census, but according to 2 Sam 24:1 it was God who incited David to do it.

I think the implication is clear: God incited Satan to incite David, obviously.

Although, maybe Satan tempted God to do it? Consider
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post
09-02-2018, 03:15 PM
(09-02-2018 03:06 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(09-02-2018 02:50 PM)RBMG Wrote:  Um... okay? And thanks. When your class schedule lightens up please feel free to take some time out and inform me about how wrong I am, seems to be an enjoyable thing for you I wouldn't want you to miss a chance to get your kicks. Thanks!

I also don’t fancy people who go back and edit out what they say.

I’m glad you caught the original version.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
09-02-2018, 03:18 PM
(09-02-2018 03:12 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Goddamn! Rachel is on a roll!

Also:

(09-02-2018 01:08 PM)Rachel Wrote:  In 1 Chron 21:1, it states that Satan incited David to take a census, but according to 2 Sam 24:1 it was God who incited David to do it.

I think the implication is clear: God incited Satan to incite David, obviously.

Although, maybe Satan tempted God to do it? Consider

Yeah. It's hard to sort that relationship out isn't it? That whole Job thing suggests God and Satan go way back. Drinking buddies, at the very least. Shooting the shit. Bragging.
[+] 2 users Like Sushisnake's post
09-02-2018, 03:25 PM
(09-02-2018 03:09 PM)RBMG Wrote:  
(09-02-2018 03:06 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  She's a Jew. Christian mistranslation of the Hebrew Bible (sometimes intentional) can be a sore point for Jews. So give her a break, OK?
Ok, she's right, I'm wrong. When she wants to contribute to the thread I'd be happy to hear from her.

Most of the seeming contradictions aren't a result of translation. I looked for that in several of the initial posts. I could get nitpicky with Robbypants for example, and say that Peniel does not mean 'that is the face of G-d'. It means 'I faced G-d'. But that doesn't really change Jacob saying that he saw G-d face to face. However, the narrative never describes Jacob actually seeing G-d's face. My preferred understanding of that event, was that Jacob came face to face with the Divine within himself.

I sometimes have passionate arguments with myself that almost come to blows.
[+] 1 user Likes Yonadav Kenyon's post
09-02-2018, 03:45 PM
(08-02-2018 08:48 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Not really a contradiction, (and those here a while have seen me post this) .... I think the wife try-outs are pretty humorous.

Genesis 2:20 "The man gave names to all the cattle, (*as if* they were already domesticated), all the birds of the air, and all the *wild* animals; but none *proved* to be a suitable partner for the man.

Cough.

The word there doesn't mean 'partner'. The two Hebrew words that are being translated as partner literally mean 'helper to be opposite him'.

I sometimes have passionate arguments with myself that almost come to blows.
09-02-2018, 03:52 PM

Wow. Okay, you're a nut. Defensive much? Just for the record, I wasn't correcting you and I didn't elaborate on my first post because I'm busy and I understood it wasn't exactly in line with the topic. I wanted to see if my angle would gain traction before I invested time into it. Result: It didn't gain traction. You were more concerned with the idea of being corrected than you were with discussing the subject.

Thank you Grasshopper for catching this gem. That was not an edit for clarity or typos.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
09-02-2018, 11:12 PM
(09-02-2018 03:06 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  She's a Jew. Christian mistranslation of the Hebrew Bible (sometimes intentional) can be a sore point for Jews. So give her a break, OK?

It used to really be a sore spot for me, but I'm over it now (mostly). Comparing Christian and Jewish understandings of our shared books is of considerable interest to me. It's been a big part of what I've discussed on this forum.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post