What Are Your Holiday Plans?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2015, 02:07 PM
What Are Your Holiday Plans?
Our xmas celebration is always very modest. I have a dinner with my daughter, SIL and the three grandsons. I cook the main course, this year it's a roast and the dessert, a cherry trifle and my daughter takes care of the sides, usually garlic/sage roasted red potatoes and green beans with bacon and toasted almonds and some steamed corn.

We play the Wii and board games and eat. The boys open their presents from me and they usually give me a new pair of slippers, which is exactly what I want (I secretly pick them out in advance and let their momma know which ones).

It's a lovely day and no real stress. I grew up in a big extended family and loathed the holiday dinners with upwards of 60 people. I love this intimate time so much better. Heart

My son lives 2 states away and can't come this far for a visit for just over the weekend. I haven't seen him in 2.5yrs. Sad Which is hard on me but hopefully I will get to see him this summer. I will call him on xmas morning. Then I'll have a good cry and put the roast on and when the boys show up, all will be well again.

This year I'm unemployed so slim pickins on the gifts for them. Just a couple of movies and a game. They won't mind, we'll have fun. I was planning on making ice bubbles if it was going to be cold enough but alas it's predicted to be 65, so that's out. I'll have to think of some other adventure. Idea

What's on your holiday menu?

This is similar to mine which has Angel food cake chunks folded into cream cheese/whipped cream mix, with layers of cherry pie filling. I let the boys help me assemble it. We make a mess but that's most the fun. Big Grin
[Image: j8yrAgu.jpg?1]

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Heatheness's post
20-12-2015, 02:23 PM
RE: What Are Your Holiday Plans?
This year I'm hosting a Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve party at my house.

On Christmas Eve, I will attempt to cook dinner (which is always a feat for me since I can't cook for shit Tongue ). I am going to be making:

Appetizer: Stuffed Mushrooms, Crudites, and an artichoke spinach dip/crackers

Dinner: My ex is making steak for the meat eaters and I have a vegan lentil loaf for the veg-heads. We are also marinating and grilling some veggie skewers and making rice pilaf for sides.

Dessert: Baked pears and vanilla ice cream (dairy and nondairy).

Then maybe make some hot cocoa and take a walk around my neighborhood to look at all the Holiday lights.

After, we'll probably sit by my tree, make a fire in the fireplace, and have some drinks. Everyone is also bringing a grab gift, so probably exchange those then.

On Christmas, I plan on sleeping late, staying in my pajamas all day and watching movies Tongue

New Year's Eve is going to be a later party, so I'm not making dinner. I'm having assorted appetizers and drinks.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
20-12-2015, 02:32 PM
(20-12-2015 02:07 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Our xmas celebration is always very modest. I have a dinner with my daughter, SIL and the three grandsons. I cook the main course, this year it's a roast and the dessert, a cherry trifle and my daughter takes care of the sides, usually garlic/sage roasted red potatoes and green beans with bacon and toasted almonds and some steamed corn.

We play the Wii and board games and eat. The boys open their presents from me and they usually give me a new pair of slippers, which is exactly what I want (I secretly pick them out in advance and let their momma know which ones).

It's a lovely day and no real stress. I grew up in a big extended family and loathed the holiday dinners with upwards of 60 people. I love this intimate time so much better. Heart

My son lives 2 states away and can't come this far for a visit for just over the weekend. I haven't seen him in 2.5yrs. Sad Which is hard on me but hopefully I will get to see him this summer. I will call him on xmas morning. Then I'll have a good cry and put the roast on and when the boys show up, all will be well again.

This year I'm unemployed so slim pickins on the gifts for them. Just a couple of movies and a game. They won't mind, we'll have fun. I was planning on making ice bubbles if it was going to be cold enough but alas it's predicted to be 65, so that's out. I'll have to think of some other adventure. Idea

This is similar to mine which has Angel food cake chunks folded into cream cheese/whipped cream mix, with layers of cherry pie filling. I let the boys help me assemble it. We make a mess but that's most the fun. Big Grin

Oh!!! Yummm!! That cake looks amazing.

Anyway, I'm not doing anything for Christmas Eve. Sitting around. Read some stuff on the internet.

Christmas day, sitting around. Open a couple present. Eat some food. Go for a walk. It might snow here.

There you have it. The perfect Christmas.Thumbsup

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
20-12-2015, 02:33 PM
(20-12-2015 02:23 PM)jennybee Wrote:  This year I'm hosting a Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve party at my house.

On Christmas Eve, I will attempt to cook dinner (which is always a feat for me since I can't cook for shit Tongue ). I am going to be making:

Appetizer: Stuffed Mushrooms, Crudites, and an artichoke spinach dip/crackers

Dinner: My ex is making steak for the meat eaters and I have a vegan lentil loaf for the veg-heads. We are also marinating and grilling some veggie skewers and making rice pilaf for sides.

Dessert: Baked pears and vanilla ice cream (dairy and nondairy).

Then maybe make some hot cocoa and take a walk around my neighborhood to look at all the Holiday lights.

After, we'll probably sit by my tree, make a fire in the fireplace, and have some drinks. Everyone is also bringing a grab gift, so probably exchange those then.

On Christmas, I plan on sleeping late, staying in my pajamas all day and watching movies Tongue

New Year's Eve is going to be a later party, so I'm not making dinner. I'm having assorted appetizers and drinks.

Sounds delightful! Heart

The walk around the neighborhood sounds fun. I think I might steal that. Yes

[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
20-12-2015, 02:36 PM
(20-12-2015 02:32 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(20-12-2015 02:07 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Our xmas celebration is always very modest. I have a dinner with my daughter, SIL and the three grandsons. I cook the main course, this year it's a roast and the dessert, a cherry trifle and my daughter takes care of the sides, usually garlic/sage roasted red potatoes and green beans with bacon and toasted almonds and some steamed corn.

Oh!!! Yummm!! That cake looks amazing.

Anyway, I'm not doing anything for Christmas Eve. Sitting around. Read some stuff on the internet.

Christmas day, sitting around. Open a couple present. Eat some food. Go for a walk. It might snow here.

There you have it. The perfect Christmas.Thumbsup

Thank you!
Oh, some snow would be lovely! Smile

20-12-2015, 02:42 PM
Do what I do everyday, play Digimon masters and games on steam, workout, and 日本語を勉強。That is it.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
20-12-2015, 02:56 PM
(20-12-2015 02:42 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Do what I do everyday, play Digimon masters and games on steam, workout, and 日本語を勉強。That is it.

Cool, I've never studied Japanese but my sister did years ago before her trip there.

20-12-2015, 03:00 PM
(20-12-2015 02:56 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(20-12-2015 02:42 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Do what I do everyday, play Digimon masters and games on steam, workout, and 日本語を勉強。That is it.

Cool, I've never studied Japanese but my sister did years ago before her trip there.

I plan on moving there soon, as it is atheist friendly.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
20-12-2015, 05:41 PM
Christmas Eve at my house. I have purchased a ham and will make baked mac and cheese, baked potatoes with special topping, some sort of veggie as yet undetermined, and pies.

Some family will be here for a small gift exchange.

Christmas morning we will go to my older daughter's house to watch The Bail open gifts and then will have breakfast.

I haven't had any alcohol in a couple decades but decided that a nice addition would be some Mimosas with brunch. I bought some champagne, orange juice, oranges for garnish, and I have some blood orange syrup that I sometimes put in iced tea. Guess we will be having Mimosa Sunrises. Tongue

The rest of Christmas day and the weekend after will be filled with TV, reading, naps...and generally just being lazy.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
20-12-2015, 07:17 PM
I used my $50 gift card on some classical music, so probably will be listening to that. Big Grin

[+] 4 users Like GenesisNemesis's post