Sikhism
Other
[Show Results]

What Are Your Parent's Beliefs?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2011, 06:13 PM
What Are Your Parent's Beliefs?
I read in The God Delusion something like only 1 in 12 people break from their parents religious beliefs. Out of curiosity I was wondering how many people were here in violation of their parents beliefs.

I would imagine that significantly more people would move from religion to atheism than from one religion to another. Religion requires a very different set of thought processes to atheism so it would make sense to move from one to the other depending on how you think. Most religions, however, require similar thought processes so there seems to be less reason to convert from one to another. This would suggest that less than 11 in 12 of us have atheist parents.

This is just my opinion, I would love to hear what anyone else thinks on the subject.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2011, 06:14 PM
RE: What Are Your Parent's Beliefs?
My father is an atheist. My mother is a Roman Catholic. Throughout most of my childhood, though, I thought that both my parents were Catholic. Dad had no particular anti-religious leanings, so we went to church every Sunday and everything.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
23-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Well my parents come from a deeply devouted catholic familiy.

Honestly, I dont know what my father believe because he never mention any diety, saint, ect, he's a scientist and he's pretty much skeptic regarding paranormal stuff, but I dont know if he believe in any diety, may be he's just a deist, Who knows?

My mother is also a scientist, her family is catholic, but she abandoned catholicism to become a protestant christian, but in recent days I think she is becoming more agnostic, since I came out as an atheist, I think I managed to put a seed of doubt in her beliefs because I have nice interesting debates with my mother, and she is somewhat starting to question the validity of abrahamic religions from a moral perspective, she stopped attending churches because she had bad experiences with some congregations regarding morallity, and she is now somewhat more open-minded to my secular perspective of morality.

Also my little sister became an atheist, it was funny because at first my mom said I was a bad influence for my sister, but she later clarified that she became an atheist for her own personal reasons, rational and moral reasons.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-05-2011, 06:40 PM

As a child, my family regularly attending a Presbyterian church. When I was around eight years old or so, my parents stopped attending church. They were tired of the way organized religion was ran. I guess after seeing them leave the church it sparked my questioning of the faith in general.

I was sixteen when my sister declared to my parents that she was an atheist. It was a shock to all of us. I always thought she was a believer, but she gave me the courage to come clean with my parents as well. My parents are still believers.
Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2011, 07:18 PM
Mom is a catholic. Dad is agnostic ( he grew up anglican, converted- ack!- scientologist for about 2 or 3 years and then realized the cult they are and just settled on thinking there is a god ( that's when he met mom) and that's it since.
Mom took my sister, brother and myself to church. Mom grew up catholic but is not conservative in her thinking. It's complicated. I went to Buddhism, so did my sister, briefly and now both my siblings and I are somewhere around atheist agnostic. I guess we blew that percentage in our own family, but I think because mom is an excellent teacher and dad is a skeptic we learned the invaluable skill of free and critical thinking. Yay us!
I do also have a half sister from a relationship my dad was in during his scientology phase and she is still a scientologist, as is her mom.
24-05-2011, 08:14 PM
My mother died as a fundamentalist several years ago, and my father still is. This would explain why I became a fundamentalist minister at an early age (14) and a church pastor at 19. When I became an atheist it was very hard on them, and they made it as difficult as they could.

Although we still loved each other, the relationship has always been strained and I never had an opportunity to seriously discuss it with them. When my mother died, I hated the fact that I never did get to explain my reasoning to her, not that it would have made a difference.

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-05-2011, 04:46 PM
My mom believes in God, (not necessarily the Christian God per se, just a general god) and my dad is an atheist who used to be a Catholic.

Religion easily has the greatest bullshit story ever told.
-George Carlin
25-05-2011, 05:09 PM

My mother is a firm buddist (almost 6 months of it now) and my step father has become a christian after almost dying of cancer (weak little weasel, I would've predicted he would). My father could be classed as a Lazy Atheist I suppose. He's too lazy to care about any religion. Also means I get less Christmas presents Tongue
25-05-2011, 05:29 PM

My parents were Fundamentalist far right wing Christians. Venturing into Evangelical. And Republicans.

That explains a lot about their one and only rebellious daughter. Tongue
26-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Well, so far (not allowing for geographical influence), it looks like my theory is holding true. No-one has really offered any counter theory so I'll take it that most people agree. The results so far could indicate that maybe people are more inclined towards being 'strongly atheist' when they have a more religious background, again anyone else's thought would be welcome.

As most people have stated their parents beliefs I'll do the same; my mother is a Christian who believes in Evolution (she's Church of England) and doesn't think beliefs should ever be questioned, my Dad is mostly against organised religion but believes in God in a more personal way and believes in Creation, my sister is Church of England and believes in the Bible (mostly) and thinks I'm going to Hell (a bit of me feels bad about her fear) she also believes in Creation.

(P.S Sorry if that wasn't clear, I'm not overly sober (works night out Smile ))

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.