What Are Your Thinking On Abortion ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2010, 11:08 AM
RE: What Are Your Thinking On Abortion ?
There has to be a line somewhere. A collection of cells is not a human being, but no one can come up with a line between "cells" and "baby" that satisfies all parties. Our current limit - the first trimester, I think - is about as good as it's going to get.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-01-2010, 01:05 PM

(27-01-2010 11:08 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  There has to be a line somewhere. A collection of cells is not a human being, but no one can come up with a line between "cells" and "baby" that satisfies all parties. Our current limit - the first trimester, I think - is about as good as it's going to get.

I tend to agree. But there is a movement out there headed by my parents that think abortion should be legal up to the age of 35.
Quote this message in a reply
27-01-2010, 01:07 PM

But isn't the first trimester limit set as such because from that point on it's very dangerous for the mom? I think it has more to do with that rather than a line from which the fetus is considered a human being.
27-01-2010, 01:16 PM

Probably so. Anyway, only about one percent of abortions are late term and those are definitely for the woman's sake. This is something between a woman and her doctor--not politicians and certainly not religious fanatics. People need to mind their own business.
27-01-2010, 01:33 PM

Well said.
27-01-2010, 08:21 PM
(27-01-2010 01:16 PM)Grassharpper Wrote:  Probably so. Anyway, only about one percent of abortions are late term and those are definitely for the woman's sake. This is something between a woman and her doctor--not politicians and certainly not religious fanatics. People need to mind their own business.

Hear, hear.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-02-2010, 12:28 AM

Hi.
I think abortion is good and bad both.
Good for those who wants to hide them and bad for those who want to stop killing innocents.
16-02-2010, 09:52 AM

(11-01-2010 10:11 PM)Mina_the_sinner Wrote:  
(11-01-2010 06:57 PM)Nahuel Wrote:  
(11-01-2010 06:28 PM)Mina_the_sinner Wrote:  I believe that human lie starts at meiosis

This brought to my mind a part of one of George Carlin's acts where he explains his points of view on abortion and gives a quite reasonable explanation of why he doesn't believe human life starts at fertilization:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvF1Q3UidWM

I have no objections to abortion, I just don't like how peoples' definitions of what "life" are askew. Life as a cell or life as a person is all the same to me, and I have no moral objections of ending either.
I support abortion, and I also support the death sentance

George brought up a good point about fertilized eggs on a maxi pad when a woman has her period. Do we call that abortion? What about all that sperm that dies out naturally (can live up to only 5 days in a woman's uterus, new sperm created in the testes regularly)?

My stance is pro-choice...a woman should be able to choose (it is her body)...however, if the pregnancy is due to irresponsible actions, I would be a bit stricter about aborting, simply because being ignorant about sex (what do you think will happen without protection?) is no argument.

My last point goes back to sex education in school and its importance. If you teach kids to be responsible, the whole abortion issue may be a moot point (you would hope, anyway).
16-02-2010, 01:53 PM

We should value the people that are here already rather than worry about those who are not.
21-02-2010, 01:47 PM
I am personally pro-choice. I feel that although abortion is sad, it is necessary, and if illegal would only cause worse scenarios. However, I feel that a society should choose where the lines are drawn, and what is right or wrong. So I don't necessarily think abortion should be legal, but rather put up for a vote to decide.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user