What 'Atheism' is. Period.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2013, 06:54 PM
What 'Atheism' is. Period.
Because there seems to be an influx in tards who are coming here (or maybe because I hardly ever read this section and this is actually the normal amount, I don't know) without the slightest bit of an idea of what 'atheism' actually is, allow me to clear the air.

Allow me to start with what Atheism is.

1) Atheism is a lack of belief in a God or Gods.

The best way to think of it is, atheists are not atheists, they're just not theists.
The classic example is stamp collecting. Collecting stamps is considered a hobby.
Not collecting stamps is not considered a hobby.
Atheism isn't a thing, it's a way to describe a lack of a thing. 'Theismless' perhaps would be a better word for the simple minded to understand.

Now allow me to explain what Atheism is NOT.

1) Atheism is NOT a religion.

re·li·gion
noun
1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

be·lief
noun
1. something believed; an opinion or conviction
2. confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof

You saying it is a religion doesn't make it a religion. <-- get that through your tard head please.

2) Atheism is NOT an indication of ones scientific subscriptions.

You can be an atheist and not believe evolution to be true.
You can be an atheist and not believe the big bang to have happened.

3) Contrary to popular opinion we do NOT have shrines of Darwin or Hitchens in our closets.

They're in our basements.

4) Atheism is NOT what you say it is.

You can call an orange and apple all day long, it doesn't make it a fucking apple!

And remember:

[Image: funny-pictures-auto-780114.jpeg]

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 16 users Like earmuffs's post
22-08-2013, 07:01 PM
RE: What 'Atheism' is. Period.
(22-08-2013 06:54 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Because there seems to be an influx in tards who are coming here (or maybe because I hardly ever read this section and this is actually the normal amount, I don't know) without the slightest bit of an idea of what 'atheism' actually is, allow me to clear the air.

Allow me to start with what Atheism is.

1) Atheism is a lack of belief in a God or Gods.

The best way to think of it is, atheists are not atheists, they're just not theists.
The classic example is stamp collecting. Collecting stamps is considered a hobby.
Not collecting stamps is not considered a hobby.
Atheism isn't a thing, it's a way to describe a lack of a thing. 'Theismless' perhaps would be a better word for the simple minded to understand.

Now allow me to explain what Atheism is NOT.

1) Atheism is NOT a religion.

re·li·gion
noun
1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

be·lief
noun
1. something believed; an opinion or conviction
2. confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof

You saying it is a religion doesn't make it a religion. <-- get that through your tard head please.

2) Atheism is NOT an indication of ones scientific subscriptions.

You can be an atheist and not believe evolution to be true.
You can be an atheist and not believe the big bang to have happened.

3) Contrary to popular opinion we do NOT have shrines of Darwin or Hitchens in our closets.

They're in our basements.

4) Atheism is NOT what you say it is.

You can call an orange and apple all day long, it doesn't make it a fucking apple!

And remember:

[Image: funny-pictures-auto-780114.jpeg]

Well damn it, there goes my chance to start my "Church of Atheists of Latter Day Darwinists" Confused
[+] 1 user Likes p0werslav3's post
22-08-2013, 07:03 PM
No matter how many times you explain this to people they will still never understand it.

[Image: g-HitchensThinkSelf.gif]
[+] 3 users Like elegant_atheist's post
22-08-2013, 07:59 PM
(22-08-2013 07:03 PM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  No matter how many times you explain this to people they will still never understand it.

I agree. It's as if they just cannot conceive of someone existing without faith or a belief system.
Perhaps it's like pets. Someone who has a couple dogs and always has had dogs cannot understand why someone else wouldn't have a pet.
"So, how many dogs do you have?"
"I have none."
"Oh just one. That's nice."
"No. I have no dogs."
"Oh. You're a cat person."
"No. I have no pets at all."
"So, ...a bird?"
"None! There are no animals cohabitating with me."
"How is that possible? Everyone has a pet."
"Not me."
"Yes you do! You have a cat named Mr. Fluffikans and a gerbil named Percy. You just don't know it because you're going to burn in Hell, you pet-less heathen! Stop talking. I can't hear you with my fingers in my ears! La la la la la!"

Or perhaps that's a bad analogy. Blush

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 5 users Like Jeffasaurus's post
22-08-2013, 08:13 PM
Pretty much spot-on. Some quibbles:

Please don't use the syllable "tard" to refer to the religiously obnoxious. It's an insult on multiple levels to anyone with genuine developmental disabilities, who in no way deserve to be classed with the obtuse faitholes who come through here. But, yes, there has been an uptick lately.

I prefer to avoid the phrase "lack of belief" in favor of "absence of belief". "Lack" has connotations of something which is needed or desired. "Absence" does not.

And finally, the shrine belongs in the attic. Don't make me sic the atheist exquisition on you.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
22-08-2013, 08:53 PM
I don't believe in "belief". It's as simple and as complicated as that. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
22-08-2013, 09:03 PM
(22-08-2013 07:59 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  
(22-08-2013 07:03 PM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  No matter how many times you explain this to people they will still never understand it.

I agree. It's as if they just cannot conceive of someone existing without faith or a belief system.
Perhaps it's like pets. Someone who has a couple dogs and always has had dogs cannot understand why someone else wouldn't have a pet.
"So, how many dogs do you have?"
"I have none."
"Oh just one. That's nice."
"No. I have no dogs."
"Oh. You're a cat person."
"No. I have no pets at all."
"So, ...a bird?"
"None! There are no animals cohabitating with me."
"How is that possible? Everyone has a pet."
"Not me."
"Yes you do! You have a cat named Mr. Fluffikans and a gerbil named Percy. You just don't know it because you're going to burn in Hell, you pet-less heathen! Stop talking. I can't hear you with my fingers in my ears! La la la la la!"

Or perhaps that's a bad analogy. Blush

Yabut, now we have a nifty thread link to post instead of wasting two pages of posts on explaining the obvious. Thanks muffs! Thumbsup

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
22-08-2013, 09:37 PM
They don't want to understand it, that's the thing... we're heathens, infidels, baby eaters, kitten drowners...etc. Polls have shown that atheists are the most hated group in America.

The thing I hate is... you can be getting on fine with someone, making friends. Then they ask you which church you go to... you explain you're a non-believer and the mood changes, suddenly there's hostility and suspicion. Why? What are they expecting me to do?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
22-08-2013, 11:36 PM
(22-08-2013 09:37 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  What are they expecting me to do?

"we're heathens, infidels, baby eaters, kitten drowners...etc"

Eat a baby, drown a kitten......it is what we do. Drinking Beverage

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
22-08-2013, 11:45 PM
(22-08-2013 11:36 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(22-08-2013 09:37 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  What are they expecting me to do?

"we're heathens, infidels, baby eaters, kitten drowners...etc"

Eat a baby, drown a kitten......it is what we do. Drinking Beverage

Free babies for all. Those are our cultural goods, and access to cultural goods is a right.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post