What Causes Many Christians To Be Hateful Bigots?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2013, 06:17 PM
What Causes Many Christians To Be Hateful Bigots?
I'm sick and tired of how many Christians continually claim that they are persecuted wherever a body or organization within the United States Government protects the First Amendment rights of individuals whom are not of their faith.
I mean this is a bunch of bullshit, right?
Should the rights of the fundamentalist Christians really exceed that of all other groups?
People of faith are some of the most hateful human beings out there, and they direct much of out towards minorities, such as gays and atheists.
I want the people reading this thread to post links and images of how hateful and intolerant many of these 'loving' Christians (and other religious groups) are.
I suppose that I'll go first:

Atheists Most Hated Group:
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/reli...51777612/1

Grammatically Incorrect Facebook Comments From Fox News Viewers:
http://rockbeyondbelief.com/wp-content/u...heists.jpg

A Religion of Peace
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/unreasonabl...nce-again/

Cool story, bro. Drinking Beverage
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2013, 06:29 PM
RE: What Causes Many Christians To Be Hateful Bigots?
Well, IMHO (since you asked)...

They do what they are told to do. They are taught to hate, so they do so. They don't question it, just like they don't question their religious dogma. Of course this isn't true of all religious folk, but those who are generally not bigoted are usually also the ones who aren't trying to stop gay folks from marrying and the like. This attitude is best self-described in the old hymnal Old Time Religion, which repeats over and over

Give me that old time religion
It was good for our fathers and it's good enough for me.

In other words, don't think for yourself. If yer pappy saw that it was good, and his pappy before him, then it is good. Don't question it.

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
12-01-2013, 06:33 PM
Atheism is largely misunderstood by the religious. Atheists are stereotyped just like anyone else; unfortunately, the stigma placed on atheism is an inherent lack of morality.

People correlate God with morality, so if you don't have God, you must have a lack of morality.

This isn't a fair assessment.

It is a combination of heavy indoctrination, ignorance, and a lack of understanding.

For the past year, I've been fighting this battle - to bring Christians and atheists together - to show atheists that a belief in God doesn't make you brainless, inept, or crazy; and to show Christians that the lack of belief in God doesn't make you evil, immoral, or sinister. We simply have a different point of view, but this is no reason to isolate and vilify each other.

Everyone is a person and deserves equal treatment - regardless of what they believe.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 8 users Like kingschosen's post
12-01-2013, 06:56 PM
I was in a hospital waiting room yesterday, waiting to get bloodwork done, and there was a group of old men loudly talking shit about atheists there. They started with the "war on Christmas," talked about Madeleine O'hair, then said atheists really do have a national holiday, and it's April 1 because they're fools.

Now, imagine for a moment I was with friends and we were loudly talking shit on Christians in the same manner, saying they are all idiots. People would think we were huge dicks, right? And yet it's ok for people to do that about atheists, no one complains.

I didn't say anything, I was sitting in the damned cancer center (which is also for hematology) and I figured it would be in poor taste to argue religion with people who might be dying.

Also, I'd say in-group bias. It's like white supremacists, they think white is better because they are white and everyone else is automatically inferior. Many followers of Christianity, Islam, Judaism feel that way, that theirs is the one true way, that they are the Chosen People, etc., which automatically makes others dumb/inferior and worthy of dislike if not outright hatred.

At first I thought you might be talking about issues like homosexuality, so I'll address that too: same thing. They hate stuff that's different. Some Christians hate people who are different, and they use their religion as an excuse to be vocal about it (that way, they think they seem less like bigots). I'd say these people would be bigots with or without their religion, they use bible verses to excuse their assholism.
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
12-01-2013, 07:05 PM
I've always felt the reason a lot of christians are hateful and pushy is because of doubt.

Its hard to have those beliefs. You have to convince yourself of a lot of things. And if people around you don't believe the same things as you it might mean that you're wrong *gasp* No one likes to be wrong. It can be scary. So to keep the doubt away they try to force people to agree so they dont have the doubt.

Just my two cents. Shy

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
12-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Yeah, that's a good point too. I think some freak out if anyone questions their beliefs, because by telling atheists to shut up, it keeps them from having to deal with cognitive dissonance.

There was a youtube video which compared the sense of rejection some religious folks feel when you say you are not in their religion to the sense of rejection someone feels when a potential romantic partner tells them they are not interested, and I thought that made some good points too. When someone tells me they're not an atheist, I'm not offended and I don't feel threatened. I don't try to bring them over to my side (though I might explain my reasons for being an atheist). This is not true for many christians, it seems.
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
12-01-2013, 07:16 PM
(12-01-2013 06:33 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  It is a combination of heavy indoctrination, ignorance, and a lack of understanding.

Yes, exactly that, Kingsy but it's something more...maybe; an insular frame of reference. It's like their real faith is fear. It's very disturbing and just sad to waste life guided by fear. Undecided

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
12-01-2013, 07:18 PM
Aren't you guys gonna post links and pictures?

Cool story, bro. Drinking Beverage
12-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonoscopy

Picture:

[Image: Happy-baby-turtle-is-happy-s.jpg]

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 4 users Like Misanthropik's post
12-01-2013, 08:02 PM
(12-01-2013 08:01 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonoscopy

Picture:

[Image: Happy-baby-turtle-is-happy-s.jpg]
You trying to say you gave that poor baby turtle a colonoscopy ? Shocking

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post