What Degrees Are A Good Bet to Go To Mars?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-10-2016, 11:46 PM
RE: What Degrees Are A Good Bet to Go To Mars?
(05-10-2016 06:09 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Biochem with specialties in genetic manipulation, botany, medicine and/or veterinary sciences would be a decent combo. It'll also keep food on your plate while you're waiting for your shuttle to launch. Personality is going to be a large factor if they're competent.

Basically, ask yourself, "What skills will they need and how can I combine these?" People with just one of those skills stand a poor chance. Thousands of doctors will apply. Few of those doctors will be able to tweak the genes in the carrots they sent up. The best combinations are ones that you can apply here on Earth because you'll be able to become infamous gain experience and earn a decent wage.

Skip Mars though, it's largely hype and nearly useless. A good place to explore but crap for colonization. Strikes include:

- An atmosphere that's just thick enough to be annoying but too thin to be useful. It gives you no greenhouse effect, protection from radiation or small meteorites. Water boils on the surface and it's too thin to fly in. Parachutes have to be massive and are only marginally effective. But it still causes drag on launch and heating on re-entry and throws dust everywhere.

- Radiation. Probably the biggest strike against Mars, it lacks either significant atmosphere or magnetic field. Cosmic and solar radiation will be a constant problem so you *will* be living underground unless you like dying a really ugly death on the surface.

- Sunlight. Mars gets ~45% of the sunlight that Earth receives. Many of our plants won't grow well under these conditions so either extra light or genetic tweaking will be necessary. And given the radiation you're likely to be growing them in caves anyway.

- Energy: Hydrocarbons and geothermal are non-starters and wind is a joke given the thin atmosphere. Solar is poor enough on Earth before you deduct more than half. Nuclear seems like the smart option until you start looking around for coolant. The atmosphere's too thin to shed much heat and you don't want to boil any liquids so you're probably looking at relatively inefficient radiative cooling.

- Gravity: Enough to be annoying but not enough to keep your physiology from going haywire.

- Location, location, location. Mars isn't handy to anything terribly interesting. It makes a lousy refueling spot because your launch window to/from Earth is rubbish much of the time, you have to produce energy to make fuel and then you have to burn most of it to push the rest up that bloody gravity well.

- Life: This may be the one that really kills the deal. From a scientific perspective, keeping Mars as pristine as possible so we can search for life that may have originated there is incredibly important. There are some important treaties regarding that. More importantly, the possibility of life means that any colonists could stumble upon something that would make cane toads in Australia look like a picnic. Exotic lifeforms from other planets are a very bad idea.

Better bets include the moon (great location on the cusp of Earth's gravity well, lotsa energy and plenty of water in the polar caps just begging to be made into rocket fuel), the asteroids (metal that you don't have to drag up Earth's gravity well, what a novel idea) and the comets (for all your space-faring carbon and oxygen needs).

Well, I certainly agree with you but I can't change the minds behind NASA and SpaceX who seem adamant about Mars colonization. Personally I would vouch for a moon base over a Mars base first because we know there's water there, there's caves to shield us from radiation, and it's only about three days to get there where as Mars takes like 6 months. So if something went wrong we could respond quicker.

What do you think about colonization of Venus? Venus has lots of heavy gases so the lighter gases like oxygen and carbon dioxide float to the top of the atmosphere. Hypothetically we could build balloons full of those light gases and build buildings on top of them for us to live in.

There is the hazard of acid rain but suits that protect from acid rain cost less than suits that protect from no atmosphere.

Also Venus has 81.5% of Earth's mass so differences in gravity shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I'm not sure how we would go about terraforming Venus or if we could mine anything there though so while establishing an outpost would be easier than Mars, I don't know how you could get any minerals or ores from the surface when it's freaking hot as hell.

Maybe we could try the polar caps? Apparently Venus's polar caps get colder than Earth's.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2016, 12:46 AM
The pressure on Venus alone makes it quite uninhabitable. We have trouble making probes that can survive there.

We might try terraforming Earth before it gets so bad that we all go extinct in the next 100 years before we even begin talking about colonization of another planet.

Earth may become the place that's difficult to live on.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
06-10-2016, 02:06 AM
(05-10-2016 10:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  We should send everyone who has a degree in Theology or Bible Studies. Yes

You got the main goal of preparing the people's minds to accept freely to leave earth for good after paying a costly one-way ticket.
But, as usual, this needs producing many movies and TV series first, as it is the case before every international propaganda (scientific or political).

Facts that don't need evidences:
Sheep for milk live in peace because it is the will of their rich owners.
Dogs obeying rich masters deserve much better food and shelters than free dogs do.
Whoever has ears will hear.
06-10-2016, 02:45 AM
One of the most important aspects of doing a degree, any degree, is that you need to be happy doing it. Not only do you need to devote three years of your life to studying it to the point where you will probably end up hating it, but then you'll be looking for work and you need to demonstrate experience in order to get a job ... which depends upon what degree you do if you chose a useful one.
06-10-2016, 02:46 AM
(05-10-2016 10:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  We should send everyone who has a degree in Theology or Bible Studies. Yes

I have a good friend who has a degree and a masters in religious studies.

She's quite the militant atheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
06-10-2016, 09:52 AM
(06-10-2016 02:46 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  

Individuals may appeal the decision. Tongue

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-10-2016, 10:24 AM
Being born in Syria, I studied to have knowledge not degrees.
Fortunately, with the right knowledge (in electronics in my case), one can start rather easily a private business in Syria (my capital was $100 Wink ). So, right after my graduation (now I am 67), I started gaining my daily bread from designing and producing electronic controllers that the local market may need. Although I was able working for a big company in France, UK or USA but my real freedom was always above all treasures of the world. Also, being famous limits one's freedom.

I personally cannot live without owning all my time while I can follow always my own will (decisions) which is based on my personal reasoning only Wink
In fact, without having the chance to get the true knowledge (scientific, social, political and spiritual), it is impossible for someone to live as a real free independent person (hence... not rich and/or famous Big Grin ).

Dogs obeying rich masters deserve much better food and shelters than free dogs do.
06-10-2016, 11:04 AM
You had me at Syria

Then I had to check and make sure I was in the science section of the forum.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
07-10-2016, 05:29 AM
(06-10-2016 02:46 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  

Huh. You can make your living as an Atheist? Tell me more. Big Grin

Rahn127 Wrote:The pressure on Venus alone makes it quite uninhabitable. We have trouble making probes that can survive there.

We might try terraforming Earth before it gets so bad that we all go extinct in the next 100 years before we even begin talking about colonization of another planet.

Earth may become the place that's difficult to live on.

Yes, we need to stop climate change. But first we must get rid of the grip of our Corporatocracy in America. The United State's government is in bed with its Corporations.

Also if we live in Venus's atmosphere at that elevation, are you really sure that the pressure would make it uninhabitable? Or were you talking about sending drones to the surface to collect ores and minerals?[/code]
07-10-2016, 02:59 PM
(06-10-2016 11:04 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  You had me at Syria

Then I had to check and make sure I was in the science section of the forum.

Well, I meant that NASA doesn't look for people as me.
But NASA is fortunate that there are many persons who are ready to be trained (and have high studies) in order to travel into space with no return. Are you one of them Tongue