What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.33 Average
12-02-2014, 02:55 AM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
I learned that my kitten eats with her mouth open. What a slob!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2014, 03:33 AM
(11-02-2014 11:31 PM)morondog Wrote:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ta...lace_names

I can do you one better/sillier. Forget that a lot of Slavic cities end in -grad, -grade, -gorod, which means city (or, in our case, sometimes the Greek -polis, 'cause we like being posh. The funniest thing is, Greeks would repeatedly and officially call a city which has a newer, Bulgarian name, by its older Greek one. Greeks!).

The river that flows through my very town is called river Swamp. Rolleyes

(And I just have to...: in Burgess' Clockwork Orange, in their slang, they use the Russian/Slavic "bog" for "god".)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
12-02-2014, 06:00 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2014 06:04 PM by Vera.)
One of the weirdest (and rather sad) things in a while, actually. The turnspit dog.

"The Vernepator Cur was bred to run on a wheel in order to turn meat so it would cook evenly. The dogs were also taken to church to serve as foot warmers. One story says that during service at a church in Bath, the Bishop of Gloucester gave a sermon and uttered the line "It was then that Ezekiel saw the wheel...". At the mention of the word "wheel" several turnspit dogs, who had been brought to church as foot warmers, ran for the door. Being thought of so lowly, and being treated with such disdain, records were not kept of the incredible Turnspit Dog as a breed, and no attempt to maintain the breed was made. Technology made the job they performed obsolete. Therefore, the breed ceased to exist."

Poor little doggy Sad

[Image: Turnspit-Dog.jpg]g

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
15-02-2014, 10:30 AM
That a new class of solids has been discover for the first time in 400 years.

"In the latest verse of a centuries-old mathematical refrain, scientists have figured a way to iron out the wrinkles in a large class of molecular cages. The cages have faces consisting of 12 regular pentagons and up to 480 irregular hexagons, which puts them into a well-known category of shapes called fullerenes. However, unlike most previously known fullerenes, the new shapes’ hundreds of faces are flat rather than warped, and the atoms in the molecule are equally spaced."

And something about the original Goldberg polyhedra not really being polyhedra, but the new ones being named thus, even at the risk of confusing others.

Well, no worries, I was confused long before I reached that sentence.

[Image: ku-xlarge.jpg]

(And that I have lost all ability to do any productive work. Or kick old habits/leave old haunts.)

[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
16-02-2014, 04:22 AM
I still ccant believe this is true Shocking

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
16-02-2014, 06:22 AM
Apparently, I'm taller than Chas. I learned something today.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
16-02-2014, 08:17 AM
I learn new things every day, problem is, I keep forgetting them... Dodgy

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
16-02-2014, 11:20 AM
(16-02-2014 06:22 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Apparently, I'm taller than Chas. I learned something today.

That's not an accomplishment. Tongue
16-02-2014, 12:15 PM
So it's not that Brits don't know how to spell whine, rather they actually say "whinge." Fucking Limeys. Big Grin

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-02-2014, 12:18 PM
(16-02-2014 08:17 AM)War Horse Wrote:  I learn new things every day, problem is, I keep forgetting them... Dodgy

You just think you are learning new things...really you forget you learned it in the first place. Tongue

I am right there with you. Smartass

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post