What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.33 Average
24-02-2014, 11:04 PM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
(24-02-2014 09:42 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(24-02-2014 02:20 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  That solution wont work for me.
At my father's house where I am now, the wifi is supplied by a 'Pocketwifi", this dinky little thing: [Image: pocket-wifi_1.jpg]
So, no Ethernet cable for me from that thing!

At my mother's house the wireless modem is upstairs and on the other side of the house. Even if I had an ethernet cable long enough, there's no way I'd be able to safely get it down to my room, and I am sure as hell not taking my laptop upstairs to use the internet! They (that houses' portion of my family) tends to have over-loud music, horse-race commentary and TV on, often all at the same time. I often can't get away from it in my room which has a floor and walls in between, no way I'd be sane, or have remotely functional ears if I set up up there.

Nobody should have to live in that manner of hell.

And yet I do.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2014, 12:29 PM
About scriptio continua: "a style of writing without word dividers, that is, without spaces or other marks between words or sentences." And how thanks to the Irish we finally stopped doing that (which might be why we no longer read aloud) and now happily put spaces everywhere (but not before punctuation marks, including the question mark Tongue). Some would use an interpunct, though.

And reading about that, I found that an especially obnoxious Jesuit and a poet (as if just one of those wasn't bad enough), about whom I've had occasion to bitch before, has actually scribbled a "poem" in scriptio continua. Can one get any more nauseatingly pretentious and annoying than that (without being called Dawkins)? Dodgy

MARGARETAREYOUGRIEVI
NGOVERGOLDENGROVEUNL
EAVINGLEAVESLIKETHET
HINGSOFMANYOUWITHYOU
RFRESHTHOUGHTSCAREFO
RCANYOUAHASTHEHEARTG
ROWSOLDERITWILLCOMET
OSUCHSIGHTSCOLDERBYA
NDBYNORSPAREASIGHTHO
UGHWORLDSOFWANWOODLE
AFMEALLIEANDYETYOUWI
LLWEEPANDKNOWWHYNOWN
OMATTERCHILDTHENAMES
ORROWSSPRINGSARETHES
AMENORMOUTHHADNONORM
INDEXPRESSEDWHATHEAR
THEARDOFGHOSTGUESSED
ITISTHEBLIGHTMANWASB
ORNFORITISMARGARETY
OUMOURNFOR

(Not that it gets much better when properly written:

Margaret, are you grieving
Over Goldengrove unleaving?
Leaves, like the things of man, you
With your fresh thoughts care for, can you?
Ah! as the heart grows older
It will come to such sights colder
By and by, nor spare a sigh
Though worlds of wanwood leafmeal lie;
And yet you will weep and know why.
Now no matter, child, the name:
Sorrow's springs are the same.
Nor mouth had, no nor mind, expressed
What heart heard of, ghost guessed:
It is the blight man was born for,
It is Margaret you mourn for.)

Oh, an apparently, to the Irish himself/herself has a different meaning. And that "smitheerens" (which is a nifty little word) is Irish.

What can I say... after my last two unsuccessful bouts with mathematical stuff beyond my measly faculties, figured I'd better go back to my (humble) linguistic beginnings. As we say in Bulgarian, every frog should know its puddle. Rolleyes

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
26-02-2014, 03:00 PM
I learned that this week 2 not-so-famous-but-pretty-famous actors have died.

Harold Ramis from Ghostbusters - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000601/?ref_=tt_cl_t4

[Image: dr+egon.JPG]

and

Roger Hill - Cyrus from The Warriors - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0384631/?ref_=tt_cl_t10

[Image: Roger-Hill-The-Warriors-530x300.jpg]

R.I.P.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
27-02-2014, 08:00 PM
I learned that GPS is just awesome!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
28-02-2014, 06:26 AM
About Hero of Alexandria, who invented all sorts of cool stuff, like the first steam engine and the first vending machine... which get this, dispensed... holy water! I so hope this an euphemism... esp. in light of the fact that he also invented a "never ending goblet of wine":

"Since a liquid in a closed system will find a common level, as the wine is removed from the cup, it is replaced by wine from the central reservoir to which it is attached by a pipe. While the surface of the reservoir falls, a float falls with it, opening the faucet attached to a primary reservoir and allowing wine in, sufficient to seal the faucet again when the float rises. Sadly, historian John Humphrey notes that "this is a good example of a mechanism that was probably never constructed [because] it is difficult to understand how the goblet . . . could actually be drunk from…"

Oh well, that's life for you - building your hopes up only to smash them to ground again... esp. when I learnt about the Pythagorean cup, a mean and pointless invention if ever I saw one: "a form of drinking cup that forces its user to imbibe only in moderation. Credited to Pythagoras of Samos, it allows the user to fill the cup with wine up to a certain level. If he fills the cup only to that level, the imbiber may enjoy a drink in peace. If he exhibits gluttony, however, the cup spills its entire contents out the bottom (onto the lap of the immodest drinker)." Dodgy

(I'm pretty sure I must have learnt his formula at school. But who the hell really knows... Certainly not me.)

And about the sea sapphire.

[Image: zpqxpz6zb2tp6chry8os.gif]

(And yeah, the poem I quoted above is still yuck, but... I do like... or can relate to:

"Ah! as the heart grows older
It will come to such sights colder..."

Innocence is, indeed, as they sing, dying in so many ways... Undecided)

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
28-02-2014, 07:50 AM
(27-02-2014 08:00 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I learned that GPS is just awesome!

Yes it is! I can pinpoint dive sites to a few feet, in the vast ocean this is an absolute must for me. We just acquired a marine rescue radio with GPS that we can take with us when SCUBA diving http://www.nautiluslifeline.com

We don't want to be those people you make movies about

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
28-02-2014, 07:53 AM
I just learned my lack of hot water isn't going to get fixed today--wait till Monday. Another cold shower, really cold.

When I was a kid, my sisters and I swam in glacier water off a mountain that formed a river. The river water pooled in several places and we were allowed to swim in the pools. These pools had ice in them. Our mother gave us a measure to know when we needed to get out of the icy water: to avoid hypothermia--"when your lips, top and bottom, turn blue get out until they turn pink again." During our swims we became each others gauge, "your lips are blue Dee, you have to get out of the water."

These very cold showers, three days in, reminded me of my icy swims and how close we came to hypothermia--wow!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
[+] 1 user Likes Dee's post
28-02-2014, 09:55 AM
What Did You Learn Today?
(28-02-2014 07:53 AM)Dee Wrote:  I just learned my lack of hot water isn't going to get fixed today--wait till Monday. Another cold shower, really cold.

When I was a kid, my sisters and I swam in glacier water off a mountain that formed a river. The river water pooled in several places and we were allowed to swim in the pools. These pools had ice in them. Our mother gave us a measure to know when we needed to get out of the icy water: to avoid hypothermia--"when your lips, top and bottom, turn blue get out until they turn pink again." During our swims we became each others gauge, "your lips are blue Dee, you have to get out of the water."

These very cold showers, three days in, reminded me of my icy swims and how close we came to hypothermia--wow!

My family and I went for nearly a year without hot water. It was either cold showers or boiling water and carrying it upstairs for a bath. I feel your pain.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
28-02-2014, 01:40 PM
(28-02-2014 09:55 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(28-02-2014 07:53 AM)Dee Wrote:  I just learned my lack of hot water isn't going to get fixed today--wait till Monday. Another cold shower, really cold.

My family and I went for nearly a year without hot water. It was either cold showers or boiling water and carrying it upstairs for a bath. I feel your pain.

Quote:Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
28-02-2014, 01:44 PM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2014 01:49 PM by Vera.)
(28-02-2014 01:40 PM)morondog Wrote:  Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.
HeartHeartHeart

Luxury!

"Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah."

And... the original!

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post