What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
06-03-2014, 09:34 AM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
Okay, I'm aware that nine is apparently, a magical number, but magic is stupid and I've accumulated way too many nines Dodgy

So, the Asahi figure or the radial sunburst illusion: "Optical illusions like this may not actually be bright, but our brains — and now it seems our eyes — think they are. This radial sunburst illusion is known as the Asahi figure, and the researchers analyzed people's eyes while they stared at it, and a number of other similar optical illusions. And just as if they were staring at an actual light source, their pupils contracted."

[Image: crazy.JPG]

Also, I'm sure if I try hard enough I could use this "the physiological response of our eyes is at least partially based on subjective perception, not just a physical absolute. So how we perceive an illusion changes how our body reacts to it, even when it comes to automatic responses like pupil dilation." to fool people into thinking I'm better-looking than I actually am, but let's not overdo it Drinking Beverage )

And the aftercolour is just fun. Rolleyes

[Image: 19g0mhozdur6bgif.gif]

[Image: yet_another_optical_illusion_by_varuas-d30rx6p.gif]

Oh, and about the pseudanthium: "a special type of inflorescence, in which anything from a small cluster to hundreds or sometimes thousands of flowers are grouped together to form a single flower-like structure. Pseudanthia take various forms." As in, for example, gerbera.

[Image: pr_gerbera_vase%204_3.jpg4003aaad-319c-4...3Large.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
09-03-2014, 07:00 AM
About terminal buzz (no, it really, really doesn't mean what you think it does Dodgy ): "After a bat spots an insect it calls more frequently, eventually calling up to 160 times a second (160 Hertz) as it goes for the kill. This final sequence of calls has a rather appropriate name: the terminal buzz."

And that songbrids have the fastest moving muscles of all living things, and bats - of all mammals: "The bats' muscles are some of the fastest known to exist, able to contract and relax at frequencies up to 200 Hz. Human muscles barely manage 10 Hz, and even hummingbird wings can clock only around 40 Hz. However the superfast muscles of songbirds are the fastest, at around 250 Hz."

And speaking of birds singing, some hummingbirds, apparently are able to "to create an entire symphony with their bottom" (sorry, not my words... just couldn't help myself Blush ): "males of different hummingbird species have their own unique tail songs. Their feathers flutter at different frequencies, and the sounds produced by different feathers blend into one another [...] neighbouring feathers interact with one another. In Anna's hummingbird, the second tail feathers from the outside amplify the sounds created by their outermost pair, making them four times louder. In Allen's hummingbird, the third and fourth pairs of tail feathers flutter at different frequencies, creating a symphony of two tones – the bird also adds a third by singing in the more traditional way. In the Calliope hummingbird, the tail feathers strike one another during the dive, creating a sputtering noise on top of the normal song."

Almost makes you wish you were a bird. Well, if you're female I mean. Way too much effort if you're a guy, I guess (and usually not worth it either) Rolleyes

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
09-03-2014, 10:52 AM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2014 10:56 AM by Lienda Bella.)
I realized that I don't want to lose all of my fat because I don't want hips like a dude.
Find all posts by this user
10-03-2014, 10:58 AM
That volcanoes can blow smoke rings:

[Image: Volcanic-Smoke-Rings-Stromboli’-s-volcano.jpg]

and whales and dolphins - bubble rings: "Cetaceans, such as beluga whales, dolphins and humpback whales, blow bubble rings. Dolphins sometimes engage in complex play behaviours, creating bubble rings on purpose, seemingly for amusement."

[Image: smoke-rings-mystrey02.jpg]

I already knew that soap bubbles are HEAPS of fun. And that frozen bubbles are stunningly beautiful.

[Image: 11501717953_6ed9ef6e1c_z.jpg]

In short:
[Image: 24347631.jpg]

Though I would probably draw the line at bubble football Rolleyes

[Image: Soccer-Bubble-and-Bounce-Fail.gif]

[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
12-03-2014, 12:27 PM
What a gazunder is. Thank you so much, Dawkins! (It really isn't helping one bit that pronounced with a slight change in the first vowel it's a rather exaggerated and offensive version of the Bulgarian (not too polite) word for butt. There isn't enough Handel in the word to help me with this Dodgy )

But. I also learnt that there are albino trees, redwood trees to be precise and that they are parasites. Thought it way cool: "An 'albino' redwood is a redwood tree which is unable to produce chlorophyll, and so has white needles instead of the normal green. In order to survive it must join its roots to the roots of a normal redwood, usually the parent tree from whose base it has sprouted, from which it obtains nutrition as a parasite.Only about sixty examples are known."

[Image: 450px-Albino_redwood.jpg]

And sometime ago learnt about the difference between albinism and leucism (a condition in animals characterized by reduced pigmentation. Unlike albinism, it is caused by a reduction in all types of skin pigment, not just melanin).

And, speaking of leaves - why they change colour in autumn. If I didn't love spring so much, I'd be missing autumn right now (well, I kinda am - am totally capable of holding quite of few vastly different thoughts at the same time Undecided )
[Image: Images-of-Natural-Scene-Autumn-Spectrum-...-Color.jpg]

18-03-2014, 09:45 AM
I learned that old bibles can be repurposed into something useful...

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/diy-book...ers-145212

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-03-2014, 09:59 AM

I bet Starbucks does that to. Hobo

Laughat
[+] 1 user Likes Lienda Bella's post
21-03-2014, 10:13 AM
I just learned that if you reverse the letters of "dog food lid", you end up with "dildo of God".

[Image: thAwesomeSmileySmall70.png]

I'm sure people knew this a long time ago and I missed the memo, but it's new to me. I am forever going to wonder what the difference between any old dildo and the dildo of God is.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
21-03-2014, 10:38 AM
(21-03-2014 10:13 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I just learned that if you reverse the letters of "dog food lid", you end up with "dildo of God".

[Image: thAwesomeSmileySmall70.png]

I'm sure people knew this a long time ago and I missed the memo, but it's new to me. I am forever going to wonder what the difference between any old dildo and the dildo of God is.

Shocking

Depends on which god. The most popular ones belong to these Gods. They shoot lightning and the resulting effect is lustily referred to as a "thunderclap". Evil_monster

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
21-03-2014, 11:21 AM
(21-03-2014 10:38 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Shocking

Depends on which god. The most popular ones belong to these Gods. They shoot lightning and the resulting effect is lustily referred to as a "thunderclap". Evil_monster

Some of those dildos are shaped like hammers! How does that work!?

Gasp