What Did You Learn Today?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
21-03-2014, 12:13 PM
RE: What Did You Learn Today?
(21-03-2014 11:21 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(21-03-2014 10:38 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Shocking

Depends on which god. The most popular ones belong to these Gods. They shoot lightning and the resulting effect is lustily referred to as a "thunderclap". Evil_monster

Some of those dildos are shaped like hammers! How does that work!?

Gasp

VERY carefully...

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2014, 12:35 PM
I learned that I can play this if I really, really give it an effort

Which is wierd considering this is played by the one greatest drummers of all time, and I have only played drums seriously for about six months.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
23-03-2014, 07:33 AM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2014 09:31 AM by Vera.)
How to compare apples and oranges. Angel (Well, not really and I didn't really learn so much as read about it): the Strouhal number: "The Strouhal Number is designed to look past differences. [...] This leaves fl/V, the Strouhal Number, as a number without units no matter what is being compared to what. Inches can be compared to feet. Seconds can be compared to hours. A sting ray, a parrot, that weird dumbo octopus that was recently discovered on the ocean floor, anything that gets around by flapping can be compared using this unitless number. The Strouhal Number, invented by Vincent Strouhal just as the 1800s turned into the 1900s, is a way to compare the different species in a way that fits their massively different techniques into a narrow range. Almost all flapping creatures fit into a Strouhal range of 0.20 to 0.40. Birds of prey tend to circle around the 0.24 radius while bats are up in the 0.26 range. Dolphins and whales are an impressive 0.28. Different species with different evolutionary histories, tend to cluster around different Strouhal Numbers. This one unitless number shows the whole of evolutionary history".

Also: Froude number: "a dimensionless number that characterizes the ratio between gravity and inertia." And even though it has to do with gravity and inertia it really isn't describing my life, but has to do with measuring animal gait or something. And, just for Tartarus' reading pleasure, it has been used to study how cats drink. Rolleyes

Hint. Not like this:

[Image: tTBWPrv.gif]

Thanks to Dawkins, I also learnt what a cremasteric reflex is (well, due to psychological limitations I can only understand this theoretically and thank god). But while looking up the Bulgarian translation, I learnt that what is called retractile testicles in English, is called lift/elevator testicles in Bulgarian... and... I'm deeply ashamed to admit it but.... it did make me chuckle. Well, I'm sorry, haven't been at my best recently Dodgy

All in all, what I really learnt is that I desperately need to find better things to do of a Saturday night. Or any night. Or day. Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
23-03-2014, 09:53 AM
Oh, and about the Collatz conjecture.

[Image: collatz_conjecture.png]

Okay, I'm done learning things I don't understand. Back to reading about penii and that Egyptians were meticulous shavers (good for them!) but pharaohs - including female ones - would wear false beards. Everything to avoid stalkers, I guess. Rolleyes

[+] 5 users Like Vera's post
25-03-2014, 10:46 AM
Probably old news to some (winos;-)), but new news to me - that you can open a bottle of wine with a shoe. On the other hand, I'm not that good even with a corkscrew and have been known to hurt myself on a lightswitch (twice!) and while closing a bottle of mouthwash, so probably not a good idea to try it Rolleyes

"Vino physics: In essence, popping the cork out with a shoe all boils down to how the three phases of matter behave. Liquids like wine act a lot like solids when they're confined. The molecules are close together and rapidly transmit forces from the bottle's bottom to its cork."

(I wish I, too, became solider when confined. Confused)

(BTW, this guy has very suspect taste in shoes Rolleyes )

Also, the Brachistochrone curve, "the path that will carry a point-like body from one place to another in the least amount of time" (I already sorta knew about the Tautochrone curve.) But mostly, I kinda like watching this gif. Blush (What can I say, I'm a simple, easily entertained person. Then again, maybe not.)

[Image: b1.gif]

[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
26-03-2014, 06:45 AM
Today I learned the Earth has an "eye"......well, it resembles an eye, not actually an eye.....duh.

It's the Richat Structure.

[Image: ONamU.jpg]

[Image: Close-up_of_the_Richat_structure_node_full_image.jpg]

from EORC:

The Richat Structure is located in the center of Mauritania, the western end of the Sahara desert. It looks like an eye when seen from space and was first observed from space by Gemini 4 astronauts McDivitt and White in June 1965.

Most of the image looks yellowish, indicating sand desert. The dark brown part is bare sedimentary rocks, and within that you can see the Richat Structure, a gigantic ring structure of some 40 km in diameter. It is as large as Uchiura Bay in Hokkaido, Japan.

The part of the sedimentary rock corresponding to the white of the eye is a plateau standing some 200 m above the sand desert. The Richat Structure corresponding to the iris of the eye lies in a depression, and the peak of the outer rim is 485 m above sea level. The Richat Structure consists of Early Paleozoic rocks, some 600 million years old. Around the center, rocks resistant to weathering and erosion (purple and blue-green part) make 100 m high ridges, and nonresistant rocks (yellow and brown part) form valleys. These features alternate and are concentric.

The Richat Structure was previously thought to have been formed by metorite impact or volcanic activity, but field surveys have demonstrated that neither are correct. The current thinking is that these features were formed by an uplift and subsequent erosion from wind and water. However, why the structure is circular remains a mystery. source

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 5 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
26-03-2014, 07:16 AM
I learnt about http://www.willard-wigan.com/gallery.aspx
[Image: wigan-1.jpg]

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
26-03-2014, 07:18 AM
(26-03-2014 06:45 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Today I learned the Earth has an "eye"......well, it resembles an eye, not actually an eye.....duh.

Like a scene from stargate.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
26-03-2014, 03:55 PM (This post was last modified: 26-03-2014 07:54 PM by Vera.)
Why watching someone else embarrass themselves is infinitely worse, even painful, than embarrassing yourself. Apparently, it's called vicariousembarrassment and "affects the same brain regions that light up when you empathize with someone’s physical pain."

And now I feel slightly less crazy for being literally and physically unable to watch people embarrass themselves, or even find themselves in awkward situations, even on TV. Or people I dislike. And now I know why it was so so hard to watch Mike Tyson "sing" The Girl From Ipanema. Twice! Everybody around me loved it, but, man, was it ever hard to watch! And no, I most certainly was not clapping Dodgy )

(For the record, contrary to what some claim, it most certainly is not "because they automatically imagine themselves as being that person in that [embarrassing] situation". At least for me it's not. Plus, my own embarrassment and pain I can handle and deal with.)

I also discovered there are ocean dandelions and that they are rather cool.

"Each ocean dandelion is a collection of individual animals, all working together for the colony, like ants form a colony. There are different jobs for different members. Some protect the colony, some catch food, some reproduce. But there is one key difference between an ant colony and an ocean dandelion: Individual ants work together but still remain separate from one another; for members of the ocean dandelion colony, this isn’t true. The many animals that make up the ocean dandelion actually share tissues with one another. They have one shared community stomach system, so what one animal eats, all get to digest. Colony members have some independence and are capable of their own movements. However, a vast, colony-wide nervous system also coordinates individual movements, so that many members can work collectively for a common goal."

[Image: djnzpckm1395744215.jpg.CROP.promo-mediumlarge.jpg]

I love dandelions, ocean or otherwise (esp. otherwise Heart )

[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
28-03-2014, 10:40 AM (This post was last modified: 28-03-2014 10:59 AM by Lienda Bella.)
My brain is trying to put Christian words like "Praise the lord" or "god bless god" into other songs, because it's connecting past church songs with the ones I'm listening to. It's kind of like seeing a certain pattern nearly every Thursday for fifteen years, and then your brain putting it into other objects that are similar.